Belated NAD: HXDA 30 Watt Head!

I’m so screwed.....

Yup!

But it will be a great investment - you will love all of your amps more!

(Warning: It may also cause GAS for Amps you owned before that you had to crank too loud to get the good tones from.)

The best thing is that wife is very thankful that I no longer wake her up at 1 in the morning by pushing the envelope on how loud the amp is playing. Late at night, I just use the headphones, which sounds terrific. Now THAT makes it worth every penny - peace in the household on the guitar front! ;)

Yup!

But it will be a great investment - you will love all of your amps more!

(Warning: It may also cause GAS for Amps you owned before that you had to crank too loud to get the good tones from.)

The best thing is that wife is very thankful that I no longer wake her up at 1 in the morning by pushing the envelope on how loud the amp is playing. Late at night, I just use the headphones, which sounds terrific. Now THAT makes it worth every penny - peace in the household on the guitar front! ;)
That’s what I’m worried about. I went back to the Kemper when the floor came out. Still have the Archon, which could benefit from the OX. Trying to avoid that amp rabbit hole!

Update here - got the MDT on Saturday. Terrific amp! Very much as a remember it, similar to the HXDA but a little more modern and a little more gain and saturation. For me it felt like it had a little too much overlap with the HXDA. Without the Ox Box, the HXDA didn't have quite enough gain versus the MDT (or the Blistertone). With the Ox Box and the ability to dime the MV on the HXDA and have reasonable volumes, there is plenty of gain on tap now. So I returned the MDT today.

The MDT has a sweet spot of tone that is to die for, that "one tone" that you see in Paul's demos, that is killer for riffs, rhythms and leads, more saturated than the HXDA wants to be, but not overly saturated like a lot of the more modern amps can get.

There was a nostalgic reason I felt I should get an MDT. In 2012, I went to the PRS Factory to spec my first personally spec'ed Private Stock. That evening, after an awesome dinner with Paul and the PRS team (and Eric C from Willcutt Guitars), we went over to Paul's Studio and checked out the amps. He had a 100W head that was basically in the development chain of the Sewell/MDT that we played that night. He handed me his Paul's Guitar Private Stock, his personal guitar at the time, and asked me to check it out, and then left for a bit. The cab was below us in the garage a (2x12, I believe), and the door was cracked to allow the sound to barrel up the stairs at us, it was dimed. It was pretty surreal, it sounded absolutely amazing, and also was a cool experience. I was sitting at the top of the stairs jamming out some riffs and noodling some leads enjoying the amazing tone, when I felt a presence behind me - Paul had come back and was standing behind me just listening and watching, I don't know how long he was there for. He gave me a nod and then walked back into the Studio to talk to Eric.

So for me there is a connection between the MDT and that great night at Paul's studio. But no worries, I discovered I don't really need an MDT, I am extremely happy with my 30W HXDA.

I got a bunch more time in over the weekend with the HXDA and the 594 collection - wow, really an amazing amp when you can dial in whatever settings on the MV and the HXDA Gain and Bass Gain, and separately control the volume, with the Ox Box.

This is now my favorite amp!!

I'm sorry, but I can't "like" this post because you returned an amp I've always wanted, the MDT. Other than that, I'd sure give you a like. But I just can't condone that type of behavior.

Great story Pete. I was there with you, having seen the studio I’m assuming you’re speaking of in videos!

What a memory to cherish!

Thanks! It was pretty awesome.

Funny thing is, there is a follow up story that it related to it. A couple of years later, I was traveling back from a conference from San Francisco to Chicago, where my band played. I missed my flight, and had to wait for the next one. I board the flight with a Private Stock in hand, and Paul boards the same flight a few minutes later with HIS Private Stock in hand. We get off the plane in Chicago (which is home for me), and he has a layover, he was headed to Sweetwater in Indiana for an event. We had lunch at Chili's at the Airport (with our Private Stock guitars), it was awesome to get him 1:1 for an hour plus. During that chat we talked about the amps, and he said "hey I have this one right now that is killer, you should have it". It was a 100W version of the MDT with all his mods. I was to contact my dealer and have them request the amp. I don't remember why, but I never did follow up and buy that amp. I really regret that now!

I'm sorry, but I can't "like" this post because you returned an amp I've always wanted, the MDT. Other than that, I'd sure give you a like. But I just can't condone that type of behavior.

Sorry! It was pretty great, it just seemed a little redundant to the HXDA.

But don't worry, I will be buying more PRS Amps soon... ;)

But don't worry, I will be buying more PRS Amps soon... ;)
Well..., I don't want to be a hard a$$ about it, so... I guess we can be friends again. AFTER you buy more PRS amps. :p:p

So seriously, which version of MDT did you have? The one with mids control? I have come SO close a couple times, but stopped only because of what has been mentioned again here in this thread. Sounds KILLER but needs to be loud to sound great. I just don't get to open them up that much. I still want one though. :rolleyes: You know how that goes... I really should just bite the bullet and by a Power Station or Ox.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well..., I don't want to be a hard a$$ about it, so... I guess we can be friends again. AFTER you buy more PRS amps. :p:p

So seriously, which version of MDT did you have? The one with mids control? I have come SO close a couple times, but stopped only because of what has been mentioned again here in this thread. Sounds KILLER but needs to be loud to sound great. I just don't get to open them up that much. I still want one though. :rolleyes: You know how that goes... I really should just bite the bullet and by a Power Station or Ox.

Mine was the one without the Mid control, just Treble and Bass.

And yes, bite the bullet! ;)

Back