Beginning theory

I think there's a little cart before horse thing going on with your lessons.... Or maybe It's just the way I think and learn?

A few years ago, I decided I was gonna try to understand some music theory. So, I got down to business reading some books and looking over a bunch of websites. I won't say I'm an expert, but I got a basic understanding. If I am talking about stuff that is way beneath you, then please forgive me. To me, these topics are 'basic music theory'.

For me, the first thing to learn is(was) the Major Scale and it's intervals. Then, figure out how chords are made... The Major scale, specifically C Major, is whole step (C to D), whole step (D to E), half step (E to F), whole step (F to G), whole step (G to A), whole step (A to B) and half step (B to C) for the octave.

To build chords, we start with the 1st, 3rd, and 5th degrees of said Major Scale to make a Major chord. Then figure out (like you mentioned) that flatting the third makes it a minor chord. Then, add the 7th.. Major 3rd and Major 7th makes a Major 7th chord. Minor 3rd, minor 7th makes a minor 7th chord. Major 3rd, minor 7th makes a Dominant chord. Once I got that understanding down.... I began spelling chords at night to put myself to sleep (it works better than counting sheep, believe me!). Then there's augmented and diminished....

Once I understood Dominant chords, and their other extensions: 6th, 9th, 11th, 13th, etc. I figured out that I probably wouldn't use much beyond 9ths for Blues. But, I keep that other knowledge hanging around, just in case. Every now and again I toss in an 11th to sound all jazzy and stuff.

Those dominant extensions led me to a little nugget which opened up the fretboard and some note choices to me... I'll explain that now and see if it makes sense to anyone else. LOL

If we take the C Major Scale, C, D, E, F, G, A and B. 7 scale degrees. A C Dominant 7th chord is made up of the notes C, E, G and Bb (B Flat). A C9 Chord (the dominant 7th plus the 9th) adds the D. C11, adds the F, etc. etc. By the time you get to a 13th chord, you've used all 7 scale tones (but, obviously we drop out certain notes to make it possible to play them with only 6 strings, but also to keep the sound uncongested). But, then when you start looking at those diminished, augmented etc chords, or doing a #7 b5 chord (like the 'Hendrix' chord) I suddenly realized any note can be used at any time if you think of it as an extension of the chord of the moment.

Granted some notes sound sweeter, some more dissonant, some resolve, some cause tension. This is where our own creativity and style influences come into play. In a typical, traditional style Blues, you would rarely play an 11th or 13th chord and using those color notes can sound really clanky in the wrong place, like ending a phrase with them... Unless they are leading to something else and you resolve it... Or, they can add tension in just the right place (like how Jimi played some diminished stuff in Red House to express how something was wrong and the key didn't fit the lock no more).

With my little bit of knowledge, things opened up for me and I stopped worrying about finding exactly the correct note and started listening for what I wanted to hear. I started avoiding the notes I didn't like or didn't sound 'right'... But, I also realized that I could play them in the right situation. I just had to become familiar enough with 'all' of the situations to know when to, and when not to, play the note. Which meant basically just a lot of time with my fingers on the fretboard and my ears open.

The other thing learning the basic scale and chord stuff taught me was how to switch between some styles effortlessly, note-choice wise. But, to truly switch styles, I have to listen to the music, get the feel for the rhythm, as well as note choice. The whole Blues (minor tonality in most cases) to Country (major tonality in a lot of cases) or even just within different genres of Blues (i.e. Chicago to Piedmont, West Coast to Chicago, etc.). Changing note choices on top fo chords can make things sound right ro wrong... Same with chord choices. You don't find 9th chords in Piedmont Blues very often... But, they're all over West Coast Jump and Swing type stuff.

In Blues, the circle of 5ths won't help much. Or, at least, hasn't helped me any. It probably will in some Heavy Metal (maybe, I dunno Metal chord progressions). Might help in some Rock (something like the Beatles as mentioned earlier).

The funny thing is, I play with a woman who has played professionally for over 40 years. She doesn't know anything beyond 7th chords, has no idea how to make a 9th chord, and has no interest in it. She just plays. She has some rudimentary knowledge of open chords and some moveable chord shapes. And yet, she has several W.C. Handy Awards, has made a good living, raising a child as a single parent and is still gigging regularly. She couldn't tell you how to play a Major scale, or what makes the minor scale different. I am not sure even knows what a dominant chord is. She knows how to play dominant chords... But, don't go getting all Roman Numerally on her. She won't listen.

What I'm trying to say with this is that a lack of music theory knowledge doesn't hold anyone back. Although, a little music theory knowledge never hurt anyone either. It certainly opened things up for me.

Again, if I have iterated anything incorrectly or anything below anyone's level of knowledge, I am only trying to spread information, not talk down to anyone or insult them.

And that's more info than anyone probably wanted to read on a Friday...

Well, it mostly exhausts what theory I know. I've tried a couple times to learn, but I get to a point where it just baffles me. I'll read an article or watch a lesson and the guy will say, "You can play Phrygian mode over this..." and when I do, it sounds like crap. Not only that, but I find myself thinking more than playing with feeling.

I think some music education is very important, especially if you're going to play with others. I think you should be able to do some basic reading, or at least know enough to be able to tell someone else what you want them to play. It's one thing to tell another guitar player to play this shape at the 7th fret. It's another thing to try to tell a keyboard player to play that. So that level is important. I'll never have the musical understanding that guys like Zappa, Satch, Keneally or Vai have. But I can be better and learn more. And that's where I'm trying to go.

I'll never have the level of understanding that these guys have...

Not with that attitude, you won't

I think there's a little cart before horse thing going on with your lessons.... Or maybe It's just the way I think and learn?

A few years ago, I decided I was gonna try to understand some music theory. So, I got down to business reading some books and looking over a bunch of websites. I won't say I'm an expert, but I got a basic understanding. If I am talking about stuff that is way beneath you, then please forgive me. To me, these topics are 'basic music theory'.

For me, the first thing to learn is(was) the Major Scale and it's intervals. Then, figure out how chords are made... The Major scale, specifically C Major, is whole step (C to D), whole step (D to E), half step (E to F), whole step (F to G), whole step (G to A), whole step (A to B) and half step (B to C) for the octave.

To build chords, we start with the 1st, 3rd, and 5th degrees of said Major Scale to make a Major chord. Then figure out (like you mentioned) that flatting the third makes it a minor chord. Then, add the 7th.. Major 3rd and Major 7th makes a Major 7th chord. Minor 3rd, minor 7th makes a minor 7th chord. Major 3rd, minor 7th makes a Dominant chord. Once I got that understanding down.... I began spelling chords at night to put myself to sleep (it works better than counting sheep, believe me!). Then there's augmented and diminished....

Once I understood Dominant chords, and their other extensions: 6th, 9th, 11th, 13th, etc. I figured out that I probably wouldn't use much beyond 9ths for Blues. But, I keep that other knowledge hanging around, just in case. Every now and again I toss in an 11th to sound all jazzy and stuff.

Those dominant extensions led me to a little nugget which opened up the fretboard and some note choices to me... I'll explain that now and see if it makes sense to anyone else. LOL

If we take the C Major Scale, C, D, E, F, G, A and B. 7 scale degrees. A C Dominant 7th chord is made up of the notes C, E, G and Bb (B Flat). A C9 Chord (the dominant 7th plus the 9th) adds the D. C11, adds the F, etc. etc. By the time you get to a 13th chord, you've used all 7 scale tones (but, obviously we drop out certain notes to make it possible to play them with only 6 strings, but also to keep the sound uncongested). But, then when you start looking at those diminished, augmented etc chords, or doing a #7 b5 chord (like the 'Hendrix' chord) I suddenly realized any note can be used at any time if you think of it as an extension of the chord of the moment.

Granted some notes sound sweeter, some more dissonant, some resolve, some cause tension. This is where our own creativity and style influences come into play. In a typical, traditional style Blues, you would rarely play an 11th or 13th chord and using those color notes can sound really clanky in the wrong place, like ending a phrase with them... Unless they are leading to something else and you resolve it... Or, they can add tension in just the right place (like how Jimi played some diminished stuff in Red House to express how something was wrong and the key didn't fit the lock no more).

With my little bit of knowledge, things opened up for me and I stopped worrying about finding exactly the correct note and started listening for what I wanted to hear. I started avoiding the notes I didn't like or didn't sound 'right'... But, I also realized that I could play them in the right situation. I just had to become familiar enough with 'all' of the situations to know when to, and when not to, play the note. Which meant basically just a lot of time with my fingers on the fretboard and my ears open.

The other thing learning the basic scale and chord stuff taught me was how to switch between some styles effortlessly, note-choice wise. But, to truly switch styles, I have to listen to the music, get the feel for the rhythm, as well as note choice. The whole Blues (minor tonality in most cases) to Country (major tonality in a lot of cases) or even just within different genres of Blues (i.e. Chicago to Piedmont, West Coast to Chicago, etc.). Changing note choices on top fo chords can make things sound right ro wrong... Same with chord choices. You don't find 9th chords in Piedmont Blues very often... But, they're all over West Coast Jump and Swing type stuff.

In Blues, the circle of 5ths won't help much. Or, at least, hasn't helped me any. It probably will in some Heavy Metal (maybe, I dunno Metal chord progressions). Might help in some Rock (something like the Beatles as mentioned earlier).

The funny thing is, I play with a woman who has played professionally for over 40 years. She doesn't know anything beyond 7th chords, has no idea how to make a 9th chord, and has no interest in it. She just plays. She has some rudimentary knowledge of open chords and some moveable chord shapes. And yet, she has several W.C. Handy Awards, has made a good living, raising a child as a single parent and is still gigging regularly. She couldn't tell you how to play a Major scale, or what makes the minor scale different. I am not sure even knows what a dominant chord is. She knows how to play dominant chords... But, don't go getting all Roman Numerally on her. She won't listen.

What I'm trying to say with this is that a lack of music theory knowledge doesn't hold anyone back. Although, a little music theory knowledge never hurt anyone either. It certainly opened things up for me.

Again, if I have iterated anything incorrectly or anything below anyone's level of knowledge, I am only trying to spread information, not talk down to anyone or insult them.

And that's more info than anyone probably wanted to read on a Friday...

I understood bits N pieces. But, I'm also listening to my new Skynyrd's Innyrds vinyl so...

You should listen to the MusicStudent101 dot com podcast.

They mentioned
Major 7
Major Major 7
Major minor 7
minor 7
minor Major 7
minor minor 7
Dominant 7
Diminished 7
Augmented 7
Flat 7
Raised 7
Sharp 7
I think there's others, too.

Doesn't matter. When I play 7th chords, they sound like s#it. (Getting really inconvenient to censor swear words on here...)

I love when people play 7ths for me. I can give anybody my guitar through my rig, and 7th chords will sound great. When I play them, they sound horrifically outta tune. Go figure.

To my knowledge, I don't listen to anything that uses 9th, 11th, 13th, 15th or 16th chords. Theoretically speaking, I don't think there is a 14th. I think 10th and 12th chords are reserved for really weird sh!t.

My brain hurts but, I greatly appreciate your help. I'll be referring back to this

I've found that you have to be in a position where you need to use theory otherwise it doesn't relate to anything and you'll forget it straight away. Trying to learn it by just reading a book doesn't get me anywhere.
Something like trying to improvise/compose your own chord sequence and then melody over it can make you look at the Keys and Intervals, what works and what doesn't and you will begin to understand why some things work and others don't.

I've found that you have to be in a position where you need to use theory otherwise it doesn't relate to anything and you'll forget it straight away. Trying to learn it by just reading a book doesn't get me anywhere.
Something like trying to improvise/compose your own chord sequence and then melody over it can make you look at the Keys and Intervals, what works and what doesn't and you will begin to understand why some things work and others don't.

This is key.... Music Theory is a language. Without immersion, you may not every fully learn it.

In other words, I am barely speaking it. I don't know much about substitution, don't know a lot about modes. Heck, I probably don't know 90% of what I don't know! LOL . But, I am not trying to play Jazz, write big symphonic pieces or even understand all the rest of that stuff. I just wanna play Blues and kinda understand what it is I'm doing.

But, I know enough to be able to communicate with other musicians... and really, that piece about any note, any time if i think about it as an extension of the chord of the moment was huge for me, when playing leads, fills, solos, etc.

Sorry, I have another kinda long story. When I was a kid, just starting out, I bought Guitar Player Mag. I was reading about some solo of Angus Young's, Back in Black? Highway to Hell? Who knows? Anyway, the author is describing his note choice.. 'He's using notes from the Pentatonic Minor, with some added notes from the A Mixolydian scale and bending, blah, blah, blah'.

In my head, I'm thinking Angus is a genius to be able to think about the notes that quickly and make decisions based on all this music theory he must know.

Uh, yeah.... NOT

It took me 20 or 25 years to finally figure out most of these guys aren't thinking about the theory of it at the time. Not like that. There are probably a number savants out there that can, but I ain't one. I don't need to be either. I've played a bit recently with some serious pros and had a few conversations about it and they all laugh and say, 'Nah, I think things like, maybe I'll play higher up the neck the next 12 bars' or, 'Maybe I'll do a run on one string', or, 'ohh sliding sixths would sound cool'... I realize they can't think any faster than I and the biggest difference between the truly seasoned pros and myself is that they just have more licks, more experience, than me. They've put more hours into learning the instrument and are simply more familiar with where to put their fingers.

So, I try to be consistent with my practice and make sure I just put time on the fingerboard. If I have a guitar in my hand, I am rarely concentrating on the theory of it these days. I will think some things through with a guitar in my hand every now and again. But, I would say that's maybe 5% of my practice time over the last few months. Certainly not every day... which is why I still have to think about music theory from time to time. It isn't always fluid for me.

This is key.... Music Theory is a language. Without immersion, you may not every fully learn it.

In other words, I am barely speaking it. I don't know much about substitution, don't know a lot about modes. Heck, I probably don't know 90% of what I don't know! LOL . But, I am not trying to play Jazz, write big symphonic pieces or even understand all the rest of that stuff. I just wanna play Blues and kinda understand what it is I'm doing.

But, I know enough to be able to communicate with other musicians... and really, that piece about any note, any time if i think about it as an extension of the chord of the moment was huge for me, when playing leads, fills, solos, etc.

Sorry, I have another kinda long story. When I was a kid, just starting out, I bought Guitar Player Mag. I was reading about some solo of Angus Young's, Back in Black? Highway to Hell? Who knows? Anyway, the author is describing his note choice.. 'He's using notes from the Pentatonic Minor, with some added notes from the A Mixolydian scale and bending, blah, blah, blah'.

In my head, I'm thinking Angus is a genius to be able to think about the notes that quickly and make decisions based on all this music theory he must know.

Uh, yeah.... NOT

It took me 20 or 25 years to finally figure out most of these guys aren't thinking about the theory of it at the time. Not like that. There are probably a number savants out there that can, but I ain't one. I don't need to be either. I've played a bit recently with some serious pros and had a few conversations about it and they all laugh and say, 'Nah, I think things like, maybe I'll play higher up the neck the next 12 bars' or, 'Maybe I'll do a run on one string', or, 'ohh sliding sixths would sound cool'... I realize they can't think any faster than I and the biggest difference between the truly seasoned pros and myself is that they just have more licks, more experience, than me. They've put more hours into learning the instrument and are simply more familiar with where to put their fingers.

So, I try to be consistent with my practice and make sure I just put time on the fingerboard. If I have a guitar in my hand, I am rarely concentrating on the theory of it these days. I will think some things through with a guitar in my hand every now and again. But, I would say that's maybe 5% of my practice time over the last few months. Certainly not every day... which is why I still have to think about music theory from time to time. It isn't always fluid for me.

While Angus knows more than he admits, I'm pretty sure he knows Diddley about theory.

Then again, he is well-known to be "able to play clever jazz runs"

As far as blues and Rock are concerned, I think Angus is giving us 99.999% of his skills.
He did say somewhere that he once had to have stents put on his fingers, and that he quickly learned to play slide with them. Unfortunately, there just isn't a place for that sorta thing in AC⚡DC.
Malcolm did slide on the song Bandlands from 83's Flick Of The Switch record, and Ang used it on Stormy May Day from 08's Black Ice record.

I think it's safe to say that Angus probably knows how to get around in the pentatonic scales in any key but, if you told him to play say F# Dorian pentatonic or A Mixolydian pentatonic, he would probably kick your ass.

He might have some tricks up his sleeve (He tapped a few notes before Eddie did. I'm sure he can successfully use what he called a "Wangy" bar) but, I think he gives us everything he's got within a Blues and Rock style.

And then, there's this:

I could talk about Acca Dacca until everybody here starts to hate their music, and then keep talking about them.

Then why do I suck so badly? I have NO knowledge stifling my creativity. :D

You'll likely need to sit, meditate, hydrate, and reflect on what I'm about to say...

When I took lessons some years back, I remember doing chords modulating up/down the neck. All using basic major, minor or min7♭5 chords that would resolve to the octave tone (the I-chord). As I got a handle on that, the teacher began suggesting chord substitutions. Maj 9ths, minor 9ths, 13ths, diminished and augmented chords.

For a time, I felt fairly confident about playing among better guitarists and managing to keep pace with some of them. I never did quite get to using triads or inversions that well, but a lot of better guitarists were doing exactly that for sitting in the band mix better rather that playing full chords.

With a little self-discipline, I'd like to revisit that time where my chops were fairly decent, not like nowadays.

The main reason my chops are bad is because of lack of diligent practice. Yeah, that's correct. The answer is we can likely keep a beat, but we end up beating ourselves up over mistakes we know we can correct with quality practice.

The comparison is being invited to the bar for a drink or three and ending up the next morning trying to understand why one or more of us got all bruised and bandaged. Simple. The abuse we took was because you weren't prepared for an evening on the town, and needed some "practice" instead beforehand.

BTW this explains why I don't barhop anymore, now that chops have fallen off, practice-wise. Perhaps someday, I can play with the veteran guitarists, but I'd be handed my hat pretty quick these days. Also, a bandaid is only a temporary fix so we can get back in there again. And invariably, we do suffer some negative effects of bad choices that could have otherwise have been prevented. The road to consequences is often paved with good intentions, but somewhere along the way, that last turn you took has you traveling to some place foreign and unfamiliar to you. Hope you know the language, or have a translator app that doesn't require wi-fi.

Music is a language most everyone speaks, but only accomplished players know the language well. Oye Como Va...

Last edited:
Reactions: jxe
When I took lessons some years back, I remember doing chords modulating up/down the neck. All using basic major, minor or ♭5♯7 chords that would resolve to the octave tone (the I-chord). As I got a handle on that, the teacher began suggesting chord substitutions. Maj 9ths, minor 9ths, 13ths, diminished and augmented chords.

For a time, I felt fairly confident about playing among better guitarists and managing to keep pace with some of them. I never did quite get to using triads or inversions that well, but a lot of better guitarists were doing exactly that for sitting in the band mix better rather that playing full chords.

With a little self-discipline, I'd like to revisit that time where my chops were fairly decent, not like nowadays.

The main reason my chops are bad is because of lack of diligent practice. Yeah, that's correct. The answer is you can likely keep a beat, but you end up beating yourself up over mistakes you know you can correct with quality practice.

The comparison is being invited to the bar for a drink or three and ending up the next morning trying to understand why you got all bruised and bandaged. Simple. The abuse you took was because you weren't prepared for an evening on the town, and needed some "practice" instead beforehand.

BTW this explains why I don't barhop anymore, now that chops have fallen off, practice-wise. Perhaps someday, I can play with the veteran guitarists, but I'd be handed my hat pretty quick these days.

If you understood what you just said, then you're a far better guitarist than me

If you understood what you just said, then you're a far better guitarist than me

Kind of, but I can't say I'm well-traveled enough to know my way around a fretboard, much less to some foreign place I've never been.

Your first and 2nd lesson I understood. Not what my teacher taught me, but along the same lines. From your first lesson, I could see that your teacher was using major and minor chords with I-IV-V chord as the progression, a standard 12-bar blues. The 2nd lesson diverged slightly, using the II-III-VI as major chords. Your teacher may be leading you to your third lesson which may be the ii-V-vi-I (correct me, please, if necessary) progression, a standard jazz progression.

If your picking up on all of this quickly, you're doing well. And I wasn't kidding about putting in quality time practicing what your teacher is handing you. I did much of what you've done when I was 45 years old and still in the discovery phase of guitar playing. Now 60 years old, and far from what I'd been previously been taught about guitar, I could use some quality practice time myself to bring the chops back up to speed and accuracy.

Regards trying to play in F-Phrygian our G-Lydian, one teacher I spent a few minutes with suggested instead of playing the root chord vamp in diminished VII. Said it was an entirely different flavor that is unexpected and interesting because you can alway resolve to the root chord notes anytime.

The diminished scale is widely known in some metal circles as well as the unusual Lydian and Phrygian scales. For blues, you'll likely want to learn Mixolydian modes, just because B.B. was a master at Mixoldyian, and good blues guitarists often pay homage to their forefathers who came before them. It will take time, but I don't see that studying a circle of fifths will do much until you've applied what you're learning in practice.

It may not look good on paper, but your ears will be helpful. For example, why does this chord sound unresolved and creates tension? It may be a passing chord on your way to resolution. Or a series of notes played angularly while you land on pleasing notes.

TrueFire.com online has lots of video lessons you can purchase and store on your computer, and practice at your own pace. Several folks to watch for are Robbie Calvo, Josh Smith (to be released Apr 4th), & Rick McErlaine. Each has his own style and teaches you a variety of things. Calvo's 'Sweet Notes' might be a good place to look for solid direction. There are also metal lessons, but aren't my cup of tea. You may find these more in-tune with what you're striving for.

Your teacher will also likely teach you about how to build chords based on the notes within them. THAT I never quite learned to do myself and still kick myself each time better YT players speak in this language. Though I've got plenty to study from, guitar-wise, the urge to do so has not been that strong until recently. Perhaps it might be wise to make some adjustments to my daily schedule that will allow for 45 minutes perhaps several times a week that will improve my muscle memory and abilities. You've got a teacher, which is awesome. I can't say I'd wish to be doing what you're doing, but also can't say I put enough time into concerted practice that would be beneficial on an ongoing basis.

Last edited:
Kind of, but I can't say I'm well-traveled enough to know my way around a fretboard, much less to some foreign place I've never been.

Your first and 2nd lesson I understood. Not what my teacher taught me, but along the same lines. From your first lesson, I could see that your teacher was using major and minor chords with I-IV-V chord as the progression, a standard 12-bar blues. The 2nd lesson diverged slightly, using the II-III-VI as major chords. Your teacher may be leading you to your third lesson which may be the ii-V-vi-I (correct me, please, if necessary) progression, a standard jazz progression.

If your picking up on all of this quickly, you're doing well. And I wasn't kidding about putting in quality time practicing what your teacher is handing you. I did much of what you've done when I was 45 years old and still in the discovery phase of guitar playing. Now 60 years old, and far from what I'd been previously been taught about guitar, I could use some quality practice time myself to bring the chops back up to speed and accuracy.

Regards trying to play in F-Phrygian our G-Lydian, one teacher I spent a few minutes with suggested instead of playing the root chord vamp in diminished VII. Said it was an entirely different flavor that is unexpected and interesting because you can alway resolve to the root chord notes anytime.

The diminished scale is widely known in some metal circles as well as the unusual Lydian and Phrygian scales. For blues, you'll likely want to learn Mixolydian modes, just because B.B. was a master at Mixoldyian, and good blues guitarists often pay homage to their forefathers who came before them. It will take time, but I don't see that studying a circle of fifths will do much until you've applied what you're learning in practice.

It may not look good on paper, but your ears will be helpful. For example, why does this chord sound unresolved and creates tension? It may be a passing chord on your way to resolution. Or a series of notes played angularly while you land on pleasing notes.

TrueFire.com online has lots of video lessons you can purchase and store on your computer, and practice at your own pace. Several folks to watch for are Robbie Calvo, Josh Smith (to be released Apr 4th), & Rick McErlaine. Each has his own style and teaches you a variety of things. Calvo's 'Sweet Notes' might be a good place to look for solid direction. There are also metal lessons, but aren't my cup of tea. You may find these more in-tune with what you're striving for.

Your teacher will also likely teach you about how to build chords based on the notes within them. THAT I never quite learned to do myself and still kick myself each time better YT players speak in this language. Though I've got plenty to study from, guitar-wise, the urge to do so has not been that strong until recently. Perhaps it might be wise to make some adjustments to my daily schedule that will allow for 45 minutes perhaps several times a week that will improve my muscle memory and abilities. You've got a teacher, which is awesome. I can't say I'd wish to be doing what you're doing, but also can't say I put enough time into concerted practice that would be beneficial on an ongoing basis.

Oh no. No no no no. You're going hardcore technical.

No, my lessons were simply:
Here's the circle
He's how you locate the 6 chords of a given key
We'll look at 7th chords much later
Here's how you write in Roman numerals

Go home, and spend the week working on writing out your own progressions in any keys you like
Write them in your lessons notebook, and we'll look at them together next week.

Ok, chucklehead, you see this chord here? That's not in the key. You were looking here on the circle. You need to look here.
Ok, all these others are great. Let's play a few.
Oh, I like that progression you did there. You fooled me. You started with a minor vi chord but, I thought you were starting on the minor i chord. That's very clever of you.

That was it. I'm gonna have to go back and read what you said a few times cause we didn't get that far in my lessons before my money ran out.

And definitely no jazz. He tries to push it on me but, I just don't like it. Even when he tries to sneak in jazz blues, my ear picks up on that jazziness and I just can't do it.

I'm not insulting jazz or jazz musicians. I just don't care for it cause it ain't Rock N Roll

I love playing Bluesy flavored Rock music. That's where it's at.

My guitars are actually just bait to make learning music how music works a little more fun and interesting. Notice I said "how music works" and not music theory. What I've discovered is music theory is exactly as dry and complicated as trying to put feeling into mathematical equations, because that's really where it comes from.

Our natural form of communication is direct heart to heart feeling. Our brains block that communication and convert it to sensory input and empirical data. If it didn't none of the objective reality we're in would even be possible, being an individual amongst other individuals wouldn't be possible.

Reality is a moving scene entirely staged and produced by our subconscious. It converts feeling into harmonics and harmonics into music and then music into geometry. Everything in physical reality can be put on a scale between two opposing polarities. This means that everything we have ever known in this world is a composition of notes and intervals arranged in a pattern... including us.

Life is a song, a composition of harmonically arranged notes. Death is when you decompose the song into a just a bunch of notes. First you have to separate the notes, that's what hell is for, it creates the divisions among and within us to establish and maintain our individuality. Death or hell is the "origin of species" or how one thing becomes many things.

Time is music, space is geometry and gravity is the harmonic function that splits us apart. We measure time by notes and intervals, significant events and the "time" between them. Space is the same way, objects and the space between them.

What is music? Tension and release for one thing. The scale begins at zero tension, unison, perfect harmony. This is the subjective state where we all exist as one. There is no tension between us because there is no differentiation. It's also the state we were in prior to our conception. Genesis is the beginning of division or decomposition. "Looks like life but feels like death" as Leonard Cohen so eloquently put it.

What's going on here isn't life, it's a roller coaster ride thru a three ring circus. All the ups and downs we experience are a cascading series of tension and release cycles. We build tension in our waking day and it's released in our sleep only to wake up and repeat the cycle all over again. Even sex is a build up and release of tension.

What "decomposes" us is entropy. It's the law of the fall and the reason no life can escape death. It's two thirds disharmony against one third harmony, one third creation vs two thirds destruction. With two thirds of our day (die) spent creating tension and only one third in relief of that tension life doesn't stand a chance in hell.

The process continues thru a spiral staircase of scales ascending thru octaves toward higher levels of energy, complexity, and tension. The level of complexity we're at now can only be maintained under extreme tension and we're all feeling that without realizing why. The tension is "in the air" so to speak.

All of our actions here are reactions, we're dancing to the music but it's full of tension and disharmony. We can relieve some of that tension by creating harmonies using the elements of disharmony but it's only temporary relief and can't prevent our eventual demise.

Music moves us thru tension and release because our souls are like harmonic detectors. Remember they exist in a state of unison or total harmony. That's where our intuitive sense of harmony comes from, because as an intelligence it's pure instinct. That's also why you need more than your intellect to create good music.

Our souls seek harmony and tend to run from disharmony. What we're doing here is trapping them in time by arranging the notes in such a way that tension is created on all sides leaving the soul with nowhere to run. The scale our current arrangement is based on is the western chromatic scale with its equal temperament.

The reason runs deeper than most people will look but we've all heard of it... the circle of fifths. This is the only way to separate time or music into heaven and hell, life and death, sleep and awake. In other words our consciousness is literally entrained on or stuck in this repeating pattern.

The zodiac is a tone circle that represents human consciousness. When you move around the circle by fifths a pattern emerges. We now have whole tones and semitones gathered together in two separate groups with all the whole tones adjacent to each other and semitones grouped the same way. This is how heaven and hell are "arranged" by our subconscious.

Another pattern that emerges is a pentagram inside a circle. Pretty much everyone knows from movies and television that this is how demons or souls are trapped. Where there is smoke there's fire, there is something to this and the key to understanding it is musical. John Coltrane drew his tone circle to demonstrate how we are trapped in time by our own musical scale. How the soul is imprisoned by the body.

My point with all this is that music isn't notation and theory, it's what moves us and moves within us. Knowing what moves people starts with knowing what moves you. Not what moves you as a feather in the wind, but what moves you as a rock that doesn't want to be moved. As Duke Ellington put it, "that's the difference between good music and everything else".

:)

Reactions: jxe
Back