before and after: wood to guitar

I wonder what ever became of this...? :D

phenny.jpg

Fiddleback pink ivory. Really rare stuff.

Schweeet!!!! I was guessing it was purple heart, but I don't know my wood like you do!

(Wait, pink "ivory?" Did the spellchecker "help" you and change that word?)

Fiddleback pink ivory. Really rare stuff.

Wow, this thread is incredible! It is giving me serious GAS and I just bought a guitar! Can we please make this a sticky?!

Just had a thought, wouldn't it be cool to see some of these guitars birthed out of drift/reclaimed wood? Unless some of this wood has been cleaned and sanded down already, it will be great to see a Cinderella transformation. From coal to diamond, or in this case, from 'charcoal' to charcoal burst :top:

edit: found out about Graphite color.

Does the Graphite color look silver-ish in real light?

Last edited:
Nope. Pink Ivory, sacred tree of the Zulu tribe in South Africa (I can't make up this sh*t). My dad successfully planted and grew a pink ivory tree (which looks more like a bush) in Boynton Beach, Florida.

WHOA...That's cool! never heard of that before!

but then again I don't have my own wood library.:redface:
And apparently a wood library isn't enough for some people so they start their own forest.

And apparently a wood library isn't enough for some people so they start their own forest.

The pink ivory tree was right next to the BRW tree in my dad's yard (both very small). In the backyard was a ziracote tree which the power company trimmed back and killed. My dad passed on 5 years ago, and we sold the property. I don't imagine any of those trees are still alive. :-(

See, I come by this insanity through genetics.

WHOA...That's cool! never heard of that before!

Pink Ivory
Scientific classification
Kingdom:
Plantae
Division:
Magnoliophyta
Class:
Magnoliopsida
Order:
Rosales
Family:
Rhamnaceae
Genus:
Berchemia
Species:
B. zeyheri
Binomial name
Berchemia zeyheri
(M. Berchem) C.L.P. Zeyher

Pink Ivory (Berchemia zeyheri), also called Red Ivory, umNini or umGoloty, is a very rare African wood used to make luxury products (for example billiard cues and knives). The Pink Ivory tree grows predominantly in Zimbabwe, Mozambique and South Africa. The wood is extremely hard, with a density of 990 g/dm³.
Pink Ivory is the royal tree of the Zulus because only the royal family were allowed to possess the wood. A legend was started when? in order to increase the value of the wood when sold overseas. The "legend" claimed that anyone else other than the Zulu royal family possessing the wood (including foreigners*) was said to be punished with death.

Last edited:
Been playing this one the last few days. Great guitar (love the neck). Big thanks to Mr. Miles for his good eye (and knowing what I like) on this maple. Don't think Mr. Smith was a big fan of the color, though. :wink:

Last edited:
Ok...hate to say it...but my father used to use the term about youngsters as "still shi++ing yellow" for immature kids...baby shi+ yellow???? loL...actually love the green hues in there...hues???

Back