before and after: wood to guitar

veinbuster

Zombie Three, DFZ
We have a few before and after photos scattered in various threads. I'd like to collect some in one place. I'll start.

Does anybody else miss the wood library era?
CK_BluegrassWoodToGuitar.JPG

Remember when fingerboards were just a boring chunk of wood to stick some frets and an inlay on?
CK_SpaltNeckWoodToGuitar.JPG

We have a few before and after photos scattered in various threads. I'd like to collect some in one place. I'll start.

Does anybody else miss the wood library era?
CK_BluegrassWoodToGuitar.JPG

Remember when fingerboards were just a boring chunk of wood to stick some frets and an inlay on?
CK_SpaltNeckWoodToGuitar.JPG

I love how in that second pic there's some figuring inthe wood that looks a little like the 12th fret bird. And where does it end up once it's a finished fretboard? 12th fret! That is cool!

I was able to choose the top for my PS Sig #37/100, and asked Tina and Paul to find me some similar wood to that used on Paul Reed Smith and Myles Kennedy's guitars. They sent me this blank:

topA.jpg

Which was a pretty good match to what I was after:

Sig_ltd_comparison.jpg

The guitar turned out pretty good ;)

2011-10-30155355.jpg

Great thread idea Mr. Pete.
Here are my offerings.
Mainly top based because I really love seeing how a certain top takes a color.

Love those TGS WL guitars.
Bonni Pink - before and after.
IMG_2901.JPG

photo%25202.JPG

Blue Steel - before and after.
photo%25202.JPG

image.jpeg

Fretboards for Blue Steel (above) and Charcoal Cherry Burst (below)
photo%25203.JPG

Charcoal Cherry Burst - before and after.
photo%25202.JPG

IMG_8839.jpeg

Yes it worked out quite well. That placement was by design - we drew the fingerboard outline on the blank.

I didn't know that was yours - thought it was from a thread or something. Also, very gorgeous!

JFB's are also stellar.

All of these guitars are stunning.... one day I'll have one built.

I know there are more out there. While you dig them out to post, here is the top that goes with the finger board in the first post.
I don't know how or why somebody decided to try and make a guitar out of rotting wood, but I like the look.
CK_SpaltTopWoodToGuitar.JPG

Back