Becoming half the man I was: my weight loss experience

That sounds good. I usually go with fresh or frozen salmon, hence the high price, so I should try canned more often. In general I've found a lot of variety helps a lot, Even with just salads and stir-fries, using different ingredients and spices keeps boredom at bay.

WalMart Superstores usually have frozen salmon on sale often. I think family picked up a couple 4 lb bags of filets for $17.99 each a while back...still making use of these from the freezer...

I've not tried the stir-fry meat/veggies recently...although I realize I could essentially make a stir-fry meat/veggie/rice combination in my wok (atop an electric burner stove, no less) for several days ahead, and just reheat things for a couple days...wouldn't mind trading out the rice for a rice or veggie noodle every so often; just got to watch the carb intake...

During the warmer months when veggies are in season, garden salads are a must. I think this year garden-wise I'll try growing some varietal cucumbers and salad tomatoes. My pickling cucumbers 2 years ago didn't do well in their ceramic pottery, so I'll try varieties suited to my region and put these into the garden frame proper. Likely will keep the tomato seedlings to 2 large bush-type for easier harvesting, and 4 mounds of cucumbers with room for growth trained outside the garden frame...

Its amazing to not live in pain. I have two bulging discs and no cartilage in my knees. I started walking to get my balance back and now my back and knees dont bother me at a high level. I probably cant run but walk 3 miles in the morning Mon-Fri and 5 on Saturday and Sunday. Awesome time in the morning with my dog. I love it. For me routine consistency is the key.
That sounds groovetastic. Congratulations! I'd forgotten what not being in constant pain felt like.

WalMart Superstores usually have frozen salmon on sale often. I think family picked up a couple 4 lb bags of filets for $17.99 each a while back...still making use of these from the freezer...

I've not tried the stir-fry meat/veggies recently...although I realize I could essentially make a stir-fry meat/veggie/rice combination in my wok (atop an electric burner stove, no less) for several days ahead, and just reheat things for a couple days...wouldn't mind trading out the rice for a rice or veggie noodle every so often; just got to watch the carb intake...

During the warmer months when veggies are in season, garden salads are a must. I think this year garden-wise I'll try growing some varietal cucumbers and salad tomatoes. My pickling cucumbers 2 years ago didn't do well in their ceramic pottery, so I'll try varieties suited to my region and put these into the garden frame proper. Likely will keep the tomato seedlings to 2 large bush-type for easier harvesting, and 4 mounds of cucumbers with room for growth trained outside the garden frame...

I'll have to look more at Wal-Mart's groceries. I believe they have online ordering with curbside pickup, which I've been using at a few stores the last year.

Making enough to last a few days has come in handy a few times. I especially do that with homemade soup (vegetable and butternut squash are favorites). It's nice to get home and just need to warm some up. Another favorite is to have some cucumber, tomato, and carrot sticks cut up. I'll usually have them with homemade hummus and whole wheat pita. And yes, many more salads when it's warm and vegetables are garden-fresh.

If I ever do need to lose weight, I know exactly where I'm going. If you know what I mean...
78c6075063d37a4ac877340bf4a18b39.jpg

Anyone know how I can put on 10 lbs fast?

Thank you! I agree. The emotional baggage kept me from logging and analyzing for a while, but I needed to do it. That made what I was doing wrong much clearer. There were even a few times where I thought about eating something (especially when helping my parents, whose house is well-stocked with junk food), then pictured myself writing it down, knew how bad I would feel, and put it back. I was also able to spot habits I needed to change, like how much time I spent idle in front of a screen.

It sounds like you've had a lot of personal growth as well, which might even be more amazing than the weightloss. Congrats!

Its amazing to not live in pain. I have two bulging discs and no cartilage in my knees. I started walking to get my balance back and now my back and knees dont bother me at a high level. I probably cant run but walk 3 miles in the morning Mon-Fri and 5 on Saturday and Sunday. Awesome time in the morning with my dog. I love it. For me routine consistency is the key.

I'll be 55 years old this year and the older I get, the harder it becomes to stay fit. But if I stick to my routines, I'm good to go. If you don't mind me asking, how old were you when you started making the changes to your lifestyle?

I was 53 when I had the surgery. It was maybe easier for me than some because of my personality. I'm either idle or wide open when I commit to something. Great for the good horrible to the bad. I've done both. I have been fortunate that by that point there are few things that I hadn't tried that I wanted to. Those I liked I did a lot. I don't feel that I am missing anything today. In fact today I see things much clearer. I think it was harder for my colleagues and friends as they were used to how I partied when we were together. I'm good to go to a restaurant with a group but I go to my room rather than the bar afterwards. I'm in sales and drinking is a big part of our culture. I stopped completely Dec 3, 2017.

Having gone through this it's interesting the reactions you get from different people. Some are really happy, and others not so much. I think because I had gastric sleeve surgery many people feel that's cheating. I haven't shared what lead to the surgery but will now. A year prior to this i was in surgery to have my discs repaired and my vitals crashed. I woke up in the surgery room hearing them year abort abort. I had a tube rammed down my throat and was saying do it. They canceled the procedure at that point and when I spoke to the doctor he said he wouldn't do surgery until I got to under 250. I said how can I do that and he suggested the surgery. I still have the problems but they don't hurt much anymore. The biggest motivator for change is pain. I was in a high level everyday. I let myself go for to long and paid for it. I weigh less today than I did as a senior in high school.

I'll be 55 years old this year and the older I get, the harder it becomes to stay fit. But if I stick to my routines, I'm good to go.
At 55 I just needed 20 minutes or so of stretchy-bendy stuff to keep everything moving smoothly. I’m now at around 50 minutes every morning and while I can maintain most of my range of motion, there are persistent trouble spots that rebel through the day.

I was @265 pounds, age 54 and reversed course starting January 2009. By July 4th weekend of that year I was down to 170, and have been at that weight or below ever since.

My overall approach was much like a bodybuilder in pre-contest prep. Lifting, a lot of stationary bike cycling, and a modified “Zone” diet. I was totally inflexible during the period of weight loss, getting into shape was the only priority and anything or anyone who got in the way was ditched.

A by product of the weight loss was that guitar necks that used to feel fine began to feel awful thin. I began playing guitars with fat necks, a Wide/Fat neck was feeling like a tongue depressor!.

I’m back up around 170, gained the weight back slowly over 5 years and many hours in the gym. Heavy dumbbell shrugs, curls etc added just enough mass to the palms to bring a W/F neck back into focus.

If I had to do it all over again I’d slow down the weight loss pace. The advice I give to most people: walk as much as you can every day. With the gyms shuttered due to Covid-19 I’ve been hiking about 7 miles/day and that gives about a 600 calorie burn.

Consistency is so important. I’m glad I dealt with the bulk when I did, I turn 67 in April and must concede that it would be tougher now.

Ya gotta want it!

I was @265 pounds, age 54 and reversed course starting January 2009. By July 4th weekend of that year I was down to 170, and have been at that weight or below ever since.

My overall approach was much like a bodybuilder in pre-contest prep. Lifting, a lot of stationary bike cycling, and a modified “Zone” diet. I was totally inflexible during the period of weight loss, getting into shape was the only priority and anything or anyone who got in the way was ditched.

A by product of the weight loss was that guitar necks that used to feel fine began to feel awful thin. I began playing guitars with fat necks, a Wide/Fat neck was feeling like a tongue depressor!.

I’m back up around 170, gained the weight back slowly over 5 years and many hours in the gym. Heavy dumbbell shrugs, curls etc added just enough mass to the palms to bring a W/F neck back into focus.

If I had to do it all over again I’d slow down the weight loss pace. The advice I give to most people: walk as much as you can every day. With the gyms shuttered due to Covid-19 I’ve been hiking about 7 miles/day and that gives about a 600 calorie burn.

Consistency is so important. I’m glad I dealt with the bulk when I did, I turn 67 in April and must concede that it would be tougher now.

Ya gotta want it!

muscular palms??? bluto?

top tip if you can't touch your toes, turn around 3x times quickly and then do it. My kids showed me that & it cracks me up each time

I don't count calories just the beer & wine bottles ;) gin is a particularly good low cal alternative ;)

I was 53 when I had the surgery. It was maybe easier for me than some because of my personality. I'm either idle or wide open when I commit to something. Great for the good horrible to the bad. I've done both. I have been fortunate that by that point there are few things that I hadn't tried that I wanted to. Those I liked I did a lot. I don't feel that I am missing anything today. In fact today I see things much clearer. I think it was harder for my colleagues and friends as they were used to how I partied when we were together. I'm good to go to a restaurant with a group but I go to my room rather than the bar afterwards. I'm in sales and drinking is a big part of our culture. I stopped completely Dec 3, 2017.

Having gone through this it's interesting the reactions you get from different people. Some are really happy, and others not so much. I think because I had gastric sleeve surgery many people feel that's cheating. I haven't shared what lead to the surgery but will now. A year prior to this i was in surgery to have my discs repaired and my vitals crashed. I woke up in the surgery room hearing them year abort abort. I had a tube rammed down my throat and was saying do it. They canceled the procedure at that point and when I spoke to the doctor he said he wouldn't do surgery until I got to under 250. I said how can I do that and he suggested the surgery. I still have the problems but they don't hurt much anymore. The biggest motivator for change is pain. I was in a high level everyday. I let myself go for to long and paid for it. I weigh less today than I did as a senior in high school.

Again, congrats on the change in lifestyle!

I was talking to a coworker about the amount of drinking that happens during the NAMM shows. There was a time I was right there with them, but not anymore. I'm too old and the hangover/recovery is too hard. I don't feel I'm missing out on anything. In fact, I feel that my life is enriched because of my healthy lifestyle choices. My head is clearer, my relationships are stronger, my body is stronger and I am able to seperate myself from the unimportant noise of life more easily.

Thank you for sharing your weight loss journey with us! I find stories like this really motivational since I struggle to achieve my dream body.

It's inspiring to see the progress you've made and the commitment you've shown to your health.

It’s been 5 years since I had the surgery. I’m 6’0 and got up to 408 pounds. The lowest I got down to was 182. Today I’m about 205. I liked being 190 best so I’m working to get back to that. I quit dipping 4 weeks ago. I’m pretty sure I started daily in high school so that was over 40 years ago. That was the last of my vices and I had a bunch at different points of my life. I’ll see what clean living is like, it’s been awhile.

Didn't expect this thread to get resurrected. Cool! Thanks all. I'm still keeping it off, eating healthy, and being active. Since winter has mostly kept me off the bike, I've also taken up running, mostly on trails. And now I understand how buying running shoes can become addictive.

Very inspirational thread tbp0701 and congrats on a huge change and keeping it in a good range for a couple of years steady now! Maybe it will spur me into action ;~)) 5'11", 225lbs at current (record is about 240). Ideal weight for me is ~190 (regardless of what any standardized number say I should be). Last time I was there was 2007, and prior to that had not been at that weight for 20+ years. To get to that in 2007, I did a year of vegan eating, exercised every day, no smoke, no drink, meditation for the first time in my life. Then, being in such great shape, I found a great girl and things went downhill pretty quick. I have been in nesting mode for the past 14 years or so now ;~(( I gotta get on it and thinking about this thread will definitely nudge me!!! My girl exercises many times a week, sometimes 3 different dance classes in a single day, but I am not interested in paying someone to tell me how to exercise, I know what I need to do, I just need to do it!

Very inspirational thread tbp0701 and congrats on a huge change and keeping it in a good range for a couple of years steady now! Maybe it will spur me into action ;~)) 5'11", 225lbs at current (record is about 240). Ideal weight for me is ~190 (regardless of what any standardized number say I should be). Last time I was there was 2007, and prior to that had not been at that weight for 20+ years. To get to that in 2007, I did a year of vegan eating, exercised every day, no smoke, no drink, meditation for the first time in my life. Then, being in such great shape, I found a great girl and things went downhill pretty quick. I have been in nesting mode for the past 14 years or so now ;~(( I gotta get on it and thinking about this thread will definitely nudge me!!! My girl exercises many times a week, sometimes 3 different dance classes in a single day, but I am not interested in paying someone to tell me how to exercise, I know what I need to do, I just need to do it!
Groovy, thanks! I've found finding ways to move each day really helps. Not even thinking of it as exercise, just keeping in motion, like dancing.

Back