Beater SE's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by aphantomvaper, Aug 5, 2021.

1. aphantomvaper

aphantomvaper New Member

I've developed a love for sub $300 beater SE guitars. I can't pass one up if I know about about it.

They need love and look lost, how can I not acquire them and bring them back to singing and sounding excellent?

Anyhow, anybody else feel this way? I've never felt like this for a beater S or T guitar.

Maybe it's the Mahogany or WF neck...it's definitely a sickness.

Tele295 and sergiodeblanc like this.
  2. Wakester

Wakester Re Member

My first was a SE Custom 24 30TH Anniversary that i found on ebay. It was $300 and absolutely filthy. Strings were corroding bad and the bridge was really off kilter. I spent a day or so cleaning, polishing and doing a setup. It is still my favorite of the 6 that I own. (Don't tell the others, they get jealous :p)

dogrocketp, aphantomvaper and SinSir like this.
  3. Bill SAS 513

Bill SAS 513 Just another old guy in a T-shirt

I've grabbed a couple used, beater SE's that were priced crazy low, and cleaned them up, with all intentions of keeping them...
    But...inevitably, a cool used CE shows up, and I put a package together to trade for that danged CE...

AP515, dogrocketp and aphantomvaper like this.
  4. aphantomvaper

aphantomvaper New Member

Yes I'm wondering if unconsciously I'm building up a load with of SE to eject when the right upper scale PRS appears in front of me.

dogrocketp, SinSir and Bill SAS 513 like this.
  5. RallyFanatic

RallyFanatic Perpetual musical mid-life crisis

I have a 2006 flat top hard tail ‘custom’ I’ll never part with. It was my first real guitar. Poor thing sat in a storage unit while I was getting divorced, fell off a moving truck, lost its truss rod cover, and was subject to several ill advised pickup swaps. Still rocks like a champ!

I was actually just thinking about it yesterday - it needs a new nut, and I have some low wind Mojotone 59’s that need a home. It’s about time to resurrect it once again!

aphantomvaper likes this.
  6. garrett

garrett knows just enough to be dangerous

Heck yeah! I have a real soft spot for the old SE models. I've scooped up a handful of 'em cheap online over the years.

aphantomvaper and dogrocketp like this.
  7. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc “Evil” Sergio. You can tell by the goatee

I feel SE’s we’re great until about 2012-2013.

8. Miketar

Miketar New Member

what changed your mind sergio?

9. Ovibos

Ovibos Naughty Wood Librarian

Someday you gotta try my 2021 Zach Myers. ;)

sergiodeblanc likes this.
  10. aphantomvaper

aphantomvaper New Member

Interested with what Sergio has to say, 'cos my pre 2013 SE def have a different vibe to them.

11. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc “Evil” Sergio. You can tell by the goatee

Uhh.. I kinda feel like as they added more features they became less consistent, and they traded some of the finesse of the basic husk of the guitar work for fancier looking versions of core guitars.

The neck carves kinda went all over the place, the frets seemed to get smaller and softer, the fretboard edges became sharper and flatter feeling.

I mean, they certainly improved some stuff like the pickups, and they look f**king amazing, but overall… I dunno, I don’t get the same vibe and feeling of “this is a quality stripped down guitar” like I do from my pile of SE’s that begrudgingly sold me on the line.

Like, my 2013 SECU24 pales in comparison to my flat top SE Orianthi, my SE semi hollow from 2017(?) isn’t nearly as great as my flat topped SE semi hollow custom, and it has the worst W/T neck profile along with tiny @ss frets. And the Sweetwater SE Santana exclusive, which I wanted to love (because gawdamn, is it a sharp looking guitar!) is just kinda the deadest all mahogany guitar I’ve ever owned, with a neck profile unlike any PRS ever. It’s not W/F or W/T it’s like, the worst parts of both those profiles.

And this isn’t even an Indonesian thing, they were all WMI made. I just feel like SE’s aren’t the “sure thing” they kinda used to be.

12. aphantomvaper

aphantomvaper New Member

Ok, true dat! Thanks for your thoughts Mr. Sergio

13. garrett

garrett knows just enough to be dangerous

I definitely prefer how the old ones were stripped-down, mahogany tone machines. They were their own thing instead of imitating USA models.

14. Ovibos

But now they fulfill their function as a gateway drug better.

CrimesAgainstMusic likes this.
  15. Ovibos

I do have to say: I’m on a road trip and I didn’t think twice about chucking my SE One in the trunk.

That, an iRig, and my iPad are a nice mobile practice setup.

16. Boogie

Boogie Zombie Two, DFZ

Personally, I treated them like most other brands…by the individual guitar. Yeah, I took a chance and did a parking lot-Craig’s List buy a time or two, but they really panned out. Got the SE One that way and it is a smokin’ freak machine. You just have to promise yourself that when a unicorn crosses your path, you strike! I let so many go before and I’m pretty bummed about some of them. Otoh, I have 3 SEs that ended up being wonderful sounding forever guitars.

17. Crunch

Crunch New Member

You know, its really hit and miss, as you're sort of implying. I just bought a brand new Zack Myers SE from a local dealer, its very nice, there is a small "issue" with where the used a small piece of long triangle shaped wood to 'fill a gap' I suppose. However, its fine, because the rest of the guitar seems perfect, plays greats, sounds good. Even has a nice top. The SEs are stripped down in a lot of ways, however, I don't find the newer version sounding that bad. I had a 2018 or so SE custom 22 (Indonesia) that sounded bad with the 85/15 "s" pickups. What I actually have the most issue with is the S2 line, I just returned one, a Standard 22 all 'hog with 85/15 "S", now that sounded bad, and basically had the resonance of a log. At least in the SE line we can say they use maple to clarify the tone some. They do in the S2 line as well, if you want to pay the extra cost. Not the first S2 I've had QA issues with or didn't like the tone - at twice-ish the price of an SE. Mind you, I'm not defending the SE line or PRS, or any manufacturer these days. I've gone through mid-priced ($1500-ish) Gibsons, Fenders, PRS, and they all seem to have quality issues in one way or another. They're all cutting corners, and the truth is its getting worse as the prices climb. This is why I've pretty much given up on spending bigger money on US built guitars, the value isn't there.

18. CrimesAgainstMusic

CrimesAgainstMusic New Member

Gauddam The Pusherman !!! ;)

bodia likes this.
  19. dogrocketp

dogrocketp I drank the PRS kool aid, and it was tasty!

So then the neck carve is WTF?

20. aphantomvaper

aphantomvaper New Member

No, just WF :D

Alnus Rubra likes this.