Beater SE's

aphantomvaper

Bend it to the Owl!
I've developed a love for sub $300 beater SE guitars. I can't pass one up if I know about about it.

They need love and look lost, how can I not acquire them and bring them back to singing and sounding excellent?

Anyhow, anybody else feel this way? I've never felt like this for a beater S or T guitar.

Maybe it's the Mahogany or WF neck...it's definitely a sickness.

My first was a SE Custom 24 30TH Anniversary that i found on ebay. It was $300 and absolutely filthy. Strings were corroding bad and the bridge was really off kilter. I spent a day or so cleaning, polishing and doing a setup. It is still my favorite of the 6 that I own. (Don't tell the others, they get jealous :p)

I've grabbed a couple used, beater SE's that were priced crazy low, and cleaned them up, with all intentions of keeping them...
But...inevitably, a cool used CE shows up, and I put a package together to trade for that danged CE...
Yes I'm wondering if unconsciously I'm building up a load with of SE to eject when the right upper scale PRS appears in front of me.

I have a 2006 flat top hard tail ‘custom’ I’ll never part with. It was my first real guitar. Poor thing sat in a storage unit while I was getting divorced, fell off a moving truck, lost its truss rod cover, and was subject to several ill advised pickup swaps. Still rocks like a champ!

I was actually just thinking about it yesterday - it needs a new nut, and I have some low wind Mojotone 59’s that need a home. It’s about time to resurrect it once again!

what changed your mind sergio?

Uhh.. I kinda feel like as they added more features they became less consistent, and they traded some of the finesse of the basic husk of the guitar work for fancier looking versions of core guitars.

The neck carves kinda went all over the place, the frets seemed to get smaller and softer, the fretboard edges became sharper and flatter feeling.

I mean, they certainly improved some stuff like the pickups, and they look f**king amazing, but overall… I dunno, I don’t get the same vibe and feeling of “this is a quality stripped down guitar” like I do from my pile of SE’s that begrudgingly sold me on the line.

Like, my 2013 SECU24 pales in comparison to my flat top SE Orianthi, my SE semi hollow from 2017(?) isn’t nearly as great as my flat topped SE semi hollow custom, and it has the worst W/T neck profile along with tiny @ss frets. And the Sweetwater SE Santana exclusive, which I wanted to love (because gawdamn, is it a sharp looking guitar!) is just kinda the deadest all mahogany guitar I’ve ever owned, with a neck profile unlike any PRS ever. It’s not W/F or W/T it’s like, the worst parts of both those profiles.

And this isn’t even an Indonesian thing, they were all WMI made. I just feel like SE’s aren’t the “sure thing” they kinda used to be.

Uhh.. I kinda feel like as they added more features they became less consistent, and they traded some of the finesse of the basic husk of the guitar work for fancier looking versions of core guitars.

The neck carves kinda went all over the place, the frets seemed to get smaller and softer, the fretboard edges became sharper and flatter feeling.

I mean, they certainly improved some stuff like the pickups, and they look f**king amazing, but overall… I dunno, I don’t get the same vibe and feeling of “this is a quality stripped down guitar” like I do from my pile of SE’s that begrudgingly sold me on the line.

Like, my 2013 SECU24 pales in comparison to my flat top SE Orianthi, my SE semi hollow from 2017(?) isn’t nearly as great as my flat topped SE semi hollow custom, and it has the worst W/T neck profile along with tiny @ss frets. And the Sweetwater SE Santana exclusive, which I wanted to love (because gawdamn, is it a sharp looking guitar!) is just kinda the deadest all mahogany guitar I’ve ever owned, with a neck profile unlike any PRS ever. It’s not W/F or W/T it’s like, the worst parts of both those profiles.

And this isn’t even an Indonesian thing, they were all WMI made. I just feel like SE’s aren’t the “sure thing” they kinda used to be.
Ok, true dat! Thanks for your thoughts Mr. Sergio

I definitely prefer how the old ones were stripped-down, mahogany tone machines. They were their own thing instead of imitating USA models.

I do have to say: I’m on a road trip and I didn’t think twice about chucking my SE One in the trunk.

That, an iRig, and my iPad are a nice mobile practice setup.

Personally, I treated them like most other brands…by the individual guitar. Yeah, I took a chance and did a parking lot-Craig’s List buy a time or two, but they really panned out. Got the SE One that way and it is a smokin’ freak machine. You just have to promise yourself that when a unicorn crosses your path, you strike! I let so many go before and I’m pretty bummed about some of them. Otoh, I have 3 SEs that ended up being wonderful sounding forever guitars.

You know, its really hit and miss, as you're sort of implying. I just bought a brand new Zack Myers SE from a local dealer, its very nice, there is a small "issue" with where the used a small piece of long triangle shaped wood to 'fill a gap' I suppose. However, its fine, because the rest of the guitar seems perfect, plays greats, sounds good. Even has a nice top. The SEs are stripped down in a lot of ways, however, I don't find the newer version sounding that bad. I had a 2018 or so SE custom 22 (Indonesia) that sounded bad with the 85/15 "s" pickups. What I actually have the most issue with is the S2 line, I just returned one, a Standard 22 all 'hog with 85/15 "S", now that sounded bad, and basically had the resonance of a log. At least in the SE line we can say they use maple to clarify the tone some. They do in the S2 line as well, if you want to pay the extra cost. Not the first S2 I've had QA issues with or didn't like the tone - at twice-ish the price of an SE. Mind you, I'm not defending the SE line or PRS, or any manufacturer these days. I've gone through mid-priced ($1500-ish) Gibsons, Fenders, PRS, and they all seem to have quality issues in one way or another. They're all cutting corners, and the truth is its getting worse as the prices climb. This is why I've pretty much given up on spending bigger money on US built guitars, the value isn't there.

So then the neck carve is WTF?

Back