Battery dies in my SE HB II Piezo

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Jfragalerock, Aug 10, 2021.

1. Jfragalerock

Jfragalerock New Member

Recently aquired a new, beautiful SE HB II Piezo. It had a dead battery when it arrived. Didn't think much of it and replacemed it. That one died in 7 days. Changed that one and it died in 10 days. Play it about 7-9 hours a week. It is stored with the cable unplugged.
    Does anyone know what could be the issue? I would love to not have to send this back or have the board replaced, I would almost rather just deal with it, but I am pretty handy and adventurous so if it's a easy fix or troubleshoot I am in. I am looking for input.

2. RickP

RickP Established 1960, Still Not Dead

Make a call to PRS service, and let them help you through it. It’s a new guitar, and no one knows more about those circuits than the folks at the mothership. Number/email is in my signature below.

3. Jfragalerock

Jfragalerock New Member

I did email them prior to posting this, the response was asking if we want to ship it to them. I would love to avoid that if possible.... I may call them and see if there are any troubleshooting steps I can take prior to shipping it out.

4. Wakester

Wakester Re Member

I didn't see it in your OP, so I'll ask:

Are you leaving your cables in the Jack? That will kill the battery over the timeframe you've indicated.

BlackhawksCRNA likes this.
  5. Jfragalerock

Jfragalerock New Member

Yup it's being put on the stand with the cables unplugged. I wish that was the simple fix, but it's not.

Wakester likes this.
  6. Eddie kim

Eddie kim New Member

Where was the guitar purchased from? Let them pay for shipping to and from PRS.

7. Jfragalerock

Jfragalerock New Member

I purchased through Sweetwater, just got off the phone with their tech team. They are going to diagnose and replace parts under their 30 day warranty. I was hoping for a simpler solution but due to the complexity of the circuit and availability of replacement parts this seems to be the solution. It would appear to need a new preamp installed, but not 100% until they have eyes on it.

bodia likes this.
  8. John Beef

John Beef Opaque

Seems to me the doohickey that engages the battery when the cable is inserted is probably bent ever so slightly and shorting to an "on" position, even when the cable isn't plugged in. If it was me I'd avoid the whole shipping mess and remove the preamp, find the thingamajig, bend it back to whatever it should probably look like (test with a cable while the preamp is out of the guitar), and then button up the whole shebang. Guitar electronics aren't that complicated and whatchamacallits, whatsits, and doodads are easy fixes, and at this point I'm trying to use all the words that could be used to describe the thingamabob.

9. ViperDoc

ViperDoc Plugged In.

Something is bleeding the battery off. Check the input jack for battery disconnect lead dress.

aphantomvaper and Lacire like this.
  10. Lacire

Lacire New Member

I agree with ViperDoc, something is bleeding the battery down. Could be a component on the PC board with a short to ground. I know it’s a bummer, but since it’s new I’d let Sweetwater sort it out for you.

g.wizz and Eddie kim like this.
  11. Wakester

Wakester Re Member

Oh, you're talking about the wiggle pin, that attaches to the wobble shaft.:p

Ovibos, dogrocketp and Alnus Rubra like this.
  12. ViperDoc

ViperDoc Plugged In.

Yes, that very "thingy".

Wakester and dogrocketp like this.
  13. dmatthews

dmatthews Dave's not here...

Wakester, g.wizz and Alnus Rubra like this.
  14. NazgulUK

NazgulUK Oops I did it again

But what about the oojamaflip?

15. John Beef

John Beef Opaque

Hey now, no need to be crude.

:)

Alnus Rubra, NazgulUK and dogrocketp like this.
  16. Jfragalerock

Jfragalerock New Member

Looks like we have a bunch of wisenheimers in class today... I pulled the board to see what it looks like in there, and if I could identify the "doohickey". I would have to say, the wiring on this isn't simple or traditional. A picture is worth a thousand words (or in this case solder joints). Guess she is getting boxed up and sent out once I feel like it.

[​IMG]

17. dmatthews

dmatthews Dave's not here...

Yeah I had a P22 piezo board croak on me as well. Like you I pulled mine out... and slowly put it back in as I do not have the tools to troubleshoot such a board.
    You'll get taken care of.

aphantomvaper likes this.
  18. John Beef

John Beef Opaque

The problem is probably internal to the jack or something, but yeah, the doodads are plentiful and complicated with that thing. I've messed with plenty of guitar electronics but never anything like that.

aphantomvaper likes this.