Battery dies in my SE HB II Piezo

Jfragalerock

Recently aquired a new, beautiful SE HB II Piezo. It had a dead battery when it arrived. Didn't think much of it and replacemed it. That one died in 7 days. Changed that one and it died in 10 days. Play it about 7-9 hours a week. It is stored with the cable unplugged.
Does anyone know what could be the issue? I would love to not have to send this back or have the board replaced, I would almost rather just deal with it, but I am pretty handy and adventurous so if it's a easy fix or troubleshoot I am in. I am looking for input.

Recently aquired a new, beautiful SE HB II Piezo. It had a dead battery when it arrived. Didn't think much of it and replacemed it. That one died in 7 days. Changed that one and it died in 10 days. Play it about 7-9 hours a week. It is stored with the cable unplugged.
Does anyone know what could be the issue? I would love to not have to send this back or have the board replaced, I would almost rather just deal with it, but I am pretty handy and adventurous so if it's a easy fix or troubleshoot I am in. I am looking for input.
Make a call to PRS service, and let them help you through it. It’s a new guitar, and no one knows more about those circuits than the folks at the mothership. Number/email is in my signature below.

I did email them prior to posting this, the response was asking if we want to ship it to them. I would love to avoid that if possible.... I may call them and see if there are any troubleshooting steps I can take prior to shipping it out.

Yup it's being put on the stand with the cables unplugged. I wish that was the simple fix, but it's not.

Where was the guitar purchased from? Let them pay for shipping to and from PRS.

I purchased through Sweetwater, just got off the phone with their tech team. They are going to diagnose and replace parts under their 30 day warranty. I was hoping for a simpler solution but due to the complexity of the circuit and availability of replacement parts this seems to be the solution. It would appear to need a new preamp installed, but not 100% until they have eyes on it.

Seems to me the doohickey that engages the battery when the cable is inserted is probably bent ever so slightly and shorting to an "on" position, even when the cable isn't plugged in. If it was me I'd avoid the whole shipping mess and remove the preamp, find the thingamajig, bend it back to whatever it should probably look like (test with a cable while the preamp is out of the guitar), and then button up the whole shebang. Guitar electronics aren't that complicated and whatchamacallits, whatsits, and doodads are easy fixes, and at this point I'm trying to use all the words that could be used to describe the thingamabob.

Something is bleeding the battery off. Check the input jack for battery disconnect lead dress.

I agree with ViperDoc, something is bleeding the battery down. Could be a component on the PC board with a short to ground. I know it’s a bummer, but since it’s new I’d let Sweetwater sort it out for you.

Seems to me the doohickey that engages the battery when the cable is inserted is probably bent ever so slightly and shorting to an "on" position, even when the cable isn't plugged in. If it was me I'd avoid the whole shipping mess and remove the preamp, find the thingamajig, bend it back to whatever it should probably look like (test with a cable while the preamp is out of the guitar), and then button up the whole shebang. Guitar electronics aren't that complicated and whatchamacallits, whatsits, and doodads are easy fixes, and at this point I'm trying to use all the words that could be used to describe the thingamabob.
Oh, you're talking about the wiggle pin, that attaches to the wobble shaft.:p

Looks like we have a bunch of wisenheimers in class today... I pulled the board to see what it looks like in there, and if I could identify the "doohickey". I would have to say, the wiring on this isn't simple or traditional. A picture is worth a thousand words (or in this case solder joints). Guess she is getting boxed up and sent out once I feel like it.

Looks like we have a bunch of wisenheimers in class today... I pulled the board to see what it looks like in there, and if I could identify the "doohickey". I would have to say, the wiring on this isn't simple or traditional. A picture is worth a thousand words (or in this case solder joints). Guess she is getting boxed up and sent out once I feel like it.

Yeah I had a P22 piezo board croak on me as well. Like you I pulled mine out... and slowly put it back in as I do not have the tools to troubleshoot such a board.
You'll get taken care of.

The problem is probably internal to the jack or something, but yeah, the doodads are plentiful and complicated with that thing. I've messed with plenty of guitar electronics but never anything like that.

My SE HB II Piezo has the same battery drain issue I discover 8 months later...

PTC wants me to send it back. I will do that, grudgingly, because its such an awesome guitar!

Hope the OP got it resolved.

Had the same issue on mine, which was exasperated by the poor design that causes the wires to frequently break off the battery terminal. ARGH!!!

Anyway, wrap vinyl electrical tape around each of the wire connections to prevent them shorting out either on each other, potentiometer cases or other metal. Once I did that, the battery has remained stable.

Back