Bass Amp?

Zatx

Zat, Zat, he's our man!
I'm a newb to electric guitar, but I've been playing Bass for a couple of years now. I've got a Fender Rumble 350 bass combo amp with twin 10 inch speakers. Before I go investing in a guitar amp I'd like to practice/play with what I have. Can I use my bass amp with my guitar running through a modeling pedal like the Zoom MS-50?

Really this is just a question for when I'm practicing at home as when I perform (church band) I can plug directly into the soundboard until I find a purpose driven guitar amp.

Thank you!

I see what you did there....

oh - and I don't know why not.

My initial fear is that most guitar amps I see are fairly low power. Was afraid I'd plug in the guitar and pull a Marty Mcfly the first time I strummed a chord!

20131017-185320.jpg

Bass speakers are made to withstand the lower frequency response that would damage guitar amp speakers. As such you may find that the high notes sound a little dull, but it won't hurt anything to use it.

Bass speakers are made to withstand the lower frequency response that would damage guitar amp speakers. As such you may find that the high notes sound a little dull, but it won't hurt anything to use it.

That is good to know. The Rumble 350 has a seperate cone I can turn off and on for higher/cleaner notes. Never used it with my bass, but sounds like it will come in handy for my SE.

That is good to know. The Rumble 350 has a seperate cone I can turn off and on for higher/cleaner notes. Never used it with my bass, but sounds like it will come in handy for my SE.

Most modern bass amps are closer to hi-fi amps than guitar amps, with high power to give the bass punch and to allow it to cut through at all frequencies. They also have a more linear frequency response. This is why you have tweeters on bass cabinets that you'll never find on a guitar cabinet. In fact, in the studio we often goose a bass track at 7KHz to bring out the attack of the instrument.

Guitar amps, on the other hand, are designed to push a guitar speaker that rolls off at around 5KHz. They aren't really high fidelity devices at all.

A modeling pedal can sound good with a bass amp, provided it has amp modeling. In that case, the bass amp simply becomes a studio monitor of sorts.

If all the modeling pedal has is effects modeling, and doesn't include amp models, you're better off not using the high frequency driver on the cab.

Thankfully The Zoom 50 I mentioned before has a bunch of different amp models to choose from. So basically the Rumble 350 will just become a speaker cabinet for the guitar?

So last night I decided to set theories aside and plugged my acoustic straight into the Rumble 350. Once I fiddled with some settings, and turned on the additional high freq horn, it sounded great.

Thanks for the help.

Back