Bare Knuckle Pickups for McCarty 594?

I love thr rebel yell/stormy monday combo in my guitar. I had the Mule set and they sound great also, but I was looking for something with more output.
The rebel yell is very sensitive to pickup height, and sounds better close to the strings. It’s generally a bright pickup, but there’s a sweet spot where it suddenly sounds thicker and compressed in a good way.
I also found changing the stock tone cap (mine had 0.033uf) to 0.015 works great to keep the neck pickup from sounding too bassy.

I love thr rebel yell/stormy monday combo in my guitar. I had the Mule set and they sound great also, but I was looking for something with more output.
The rebel yell is very sensitive to pickup height, and sounds better close to the strings. It’s generally a bright pickup, but there’s a sweet spot where it suddenly sounds thicker and compressed in a good way.
I also found changing the stock tone cap (mine had 0.033uf) to 0.015 works great to keep the neck pickup from sounding too bassy.

I was looking at some used rebel yell models the other day. Came close, but I wanna try the Abraxas first. That looks about the ideal set for the axe they are going in. I will have to really think about whether or not I want to drop a set in my 35th. I like the TCI(s) pickups, but on that one I think it needs a little more...chutzpah. Its kinda twangy and lacks some booty, go figure. Was considering Black Dogs or Emeralds.

Just dropped the Abraxas set in my Soltero this morning, I really didn't like the stock ones so figured this guitar would be the guinea pig. Holy s#!t. Impressive as hell. You know what...I think the TCI(S) just lost their job.

I'd say that the Abraxas bridge is more vintage and the RY is more modern but they will both cover the same territory with slightly different flavours. The neck pickups are markedly different from one another - the Abraxas is a PAF with a nice twang to it but the RY is much thicker sounding.

Bare Knuckles rock. Pricey as balls. But so good. And they hold their resale value. So if you change your mind you won’t have a prob unloading them on reverb.

Bare Knuckles rock. Pricey as balls. But so good. And they hold their resale value. So if you change your mind you won’t have a prob unloading them on reverb.
Thats where I got mine. Definitely saved some coin hunting for them over there. I'm really convinced to give the TCI(s) on my 35th the boot. That guitar sounds kinda twangy, so it could use something more rounded and powerful.

I sold a pair of used stormy Monday’s. Didn’t lose much at all after 6 months with them in a guitar that I sold. Sure couldn’t say the same about a lot of other pickups

I sold a pair of used stormy Monday’s. Didn’t lose much at all after 6 months with them in a guitar that I sold. Sure couldn’t say the same about a lot of other pickups
Worst for me, in terms of big names, DiMarzios. Im always seeing used ones for half retail often. Worst overall at keeping value are any small time builders, just because nobody knows them.

And call me crazy but I feel that covered bare knuckles pickups retain higher resale. Aesthetics? So many people swear about potted/unpotted and covered/uncovered.

Wish I was skilled enough to install my own humbuckers and experiment. Would love to do it. But I am only comfortable installing single coil pickups. I don’t bother with splits. Once it gets that complicated I’ll pay a pro.

And call me crazy but I feel that covered bare knuckles pickups retain higher resale. Aesthetics? So many people swear about potted/unpotted and covered/uncovered.

Wish I was skilled enough to install my own humbuckers and experiment. Would love to do it. But I am only comfortable installing single coil pickups. I don’t bother with splits. Once it gets that complicated I’ll pay a pro.

Honestly...never noticed much difference between covered and uncovered. I think youre right about covered pickups having better resale value. To me, they do look better and clean up easier.

Installing humbuckers aint hard, just sometimes four conductor pickups dont use the same color shielding for the same thing. I had a royally frustrating time wiring a Dragon 2, the wiring diagrams didnt make it clear what was lead and ground. Splits can be challenging, and I dont do it often, but I write wiring diagrams on any axe I work on for reference, which helps alot.

I don’t think you can go wrong with Bare Knuckle kit, I have their Peter Green pickups in my Les Paul and their Nantucket P90’s in both of my Juniors... I was lucky with one of the P90’s and bought second hand... or pre loved as everyone now says.. but do not regret paying the full price for the others ... Enjoy Enjoy Enjoy
How hot are the Nantucket?

I'm thinking of getting a bridge one soapbar.

How hot are the Nantucket?

I'm thinking of getting a bridge one soapbar.
Hi El

actually they are not very hot.... the Bareknuckle Mississippi Queens and Supermassives are hotter P90s but I love the articulation and subtlety you can achieve with the Nantucket... and it’s easy to boost the signal with a pedal to get the hotter sounds... In my opinion ..

Put a set of uncovered Silo's in my SC594 back in January and couldn't be happier.

I threw a set of Silos into a S2 594 which I then sold. Missed the Silos so much I have another set on route to go into my Core 594 SC. A little nervous about messing with the perfection of that guitar, but the Silos are so damn good.

I’m going for a pair of abraxas next
Those are easily my favorite pickup Ive ever tried. Santana territory is easy, and the bridge can do some Van Halen type stuff nicely. The neck is surprisingly articulate, I really like it.

BTW @Broseph, there is a used set for a bit over $230 on reverb. Get em before I do. Lol.

Those are easily my favorite pickup Ive ever tried. Santana territory is easy, and the bridge can do some Van Halen type stuff nicely. The neck is surprisingly articulate, I really like it.

BTW @Broseph, there is a used set for a bit over $230 on reverb. Get em before I do. Lol.

of course this is after I ordered my own pair of abraxas because I couldn't find any used pairs.

of course this is after I ordered my own pair of abraxas because I couldn't find any used pairs.
Aw shucks. Well, at least you got new ones!

If you do, would you take a pic of the TCI pup labels and post in the TCI thread?

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/ok-does-anyone-have-a-set-of-tci-s-pick-ups-to-sell.48454/

Yeah, will do. I'll probably do a teardown of my PG tonight (switching pickup rings) so I can get a photo then.

I threw a set of Silos into a S2 594 which I then sold. Missed the Silos so much I have another set on route to go into my Core 594 SC. A little nervous about messing with the perfection of that guitar, but the Silos are so damn good.
Debating about putting a set of Silos in my Santana SE ii, any input you could share on the silos? Pros and cons, anything!

Debating about putting a set of Silos in my Santana SE ii, any input you could share on the silos? Pros and cons, anything!
I love the Silos. I sold that S2 guitar, but eventually put another set of Solis into a Core McCarty, it rips.

Back