Bare Knuckle Pickups for McCarty 594?

JJDon

Thinking of replacing the 58/15 LTs in my McCarty DC594 with a set from Bare Knuckle. Was thinking of either the Alnico Holy Divers, Rebel Yells, VHII, or Nailbombs. Id like that 80s hard rock and metal tone similar to a JB or Dimarzio but with maybe some more clarity or low end/mids. Anyone have experience with any of these ans thoughts?

No advice for that range of pickups. But I do love me some Bare Knuckles. I have a Mule/Riff Raff set in a S2 594 singlecut. Love it.

No experience yet, but eager to try a set. Been on the hunt for a set of Abraxas models. I like deals so I'm scouring the used market. Hear alot of great stuff about Bare Knuckles.

I don’t think you can go wrong with Bare Knuckle kit, I have their Peter Green pickups in my Les Paul and their Nantucket P90’s in both of my Juniors... I was lucky with one of the P90’s and bought second hand... or pre loved as everyone now says.. but do not regret paying the full price for the others ... Enjoy Enjoy Enjoy

I really like their low output PAFs. They make good stuff. If you want something a little less pricey, I just bought a pair of pickups from Manlius, and the guy who runs the place, Mick, answers questions from their contact form.

I have Rebel Yells in my 2015 S2 Singlecut. They are great pickups. Very versatile. They can rock hard but turn down the gain and they do great clean and mild breakup tones. The bridge is more even over the frequency range than a JB. I used a JB for years and really like it but I prefer the RY.

BAREKNUCKLE PICKUPS ARE OUTSTANDING.

I'm running uncovered Mules in 594 #2, the splits are absolutely insane, and the pickups themselves are golden. I also have an uncovered Mule/Riff Raff set in a Tremonti and they rock. I have covered Mules in a Knaggs Chena and they are some of the best I've heard.

Now all that said, I've been practicing for a couple Rush Tribute gigs coming up and just now plugged in my 594 #1 with the original 58/15 LTs. GD if those pickups aren't absolutely sensational. They take gain incredibly well, and their volume knob cleans are so smooth, OMG. They can do anything. If you're looking for more gain, try a boost or overdrive, or both. Or turn your amp's gain control up and knock the VOL pot back a bit.

You can't lose. Carry on!

Based on what you say you're after, it sounds like the Abraxas may serve you well. I have them in a S2 Custom 22 Semi Hollow and really like them. They've got a little extra bottom end and a nice warm, smooth top. They do a great job of getting me a nice even, mellow tone out of my brighter sounding amps (i.e. Vox Top Boost).

I’ve messed with Mules, Riff Raff, and Stormy Monday’s. All very impressive offerings. Their Low output stuff are great. And I hear people rave about their higher output stuff as well. I wonder how their single coils sound.

I've used Cold Sweat sets in a couple of my PRS. They were patterned for John Sykes' tone, and are awesome. Enough, but not too much. Pair beautifully with Mahogany.

Nailbomb is a higher-output version of the CS. I just got one and haven't tried it, but I would say it's likely to be hotter than anything you could have gotten in the 80s.

Give Stocktone Pickups a try, if you are in the USA. Sherman hand makes amazing pickups.

I've used Cold Sweat sets in a couple of my PRS. They were patterned for John Sykes' tone, and are awesome. Enough, but not too much. Pair beautifully with Mahogany.

Nailbomb is a higher-output version of the CS. I just got one and haven't tried it, but I would say it's likely to be hotter than anything you could have gotten in the 80s.

This is a great comparison. I had basically settled on the Holy Diver for the bridge and Cold Sweat for the neck before this video, but that basically sealed the deal for me. I was in-between the Cold Sweats and VHIIs for the neck, but I think the CS will pair better with the Holy Diver. Also played the 58/15 LTs in my McCarty 594 tonight and really like them because of their mids, but just wish they had some more output. Hoping the Holy Diver/Cold Sweat pair will be an improvement.

Back