Bands you wished had different singers

I say this with the utmost respect shawn.

Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft!

DLR couldn't hold Sammy's jock.

DLR was't the best singer in VH...when he was IN VH.

(Mikey for the win).

Mike, Mike, Mike. C'mon man! Sammy era VH doesn't hold a candle to DLR era VH. Sammy era = a decent pop band. DLR era = kick ass Rock & Roll band

Mike, Mike, Mike. C'mon man! Sammy era VH doesn't hold a candle to DLR era VH. Sammy era = a decent pop band. DLR era = kick ass Rock & Roll band

Shawn Shawn shawn...don't make me come over there. Bwahahaahah
Don't blame Sammy for Ed's songs being more melodic and poppy. Sam just wrote to what he was given, same as dave. And I actually prefer the tunes.

Humans Being for example, effing rocks as hard as anything off of VH1,2, and probably fair warning.
5150...same story.

The thing about VH with DLR is that it was new... fresh...
First time I heard Jump I was all like "What the what?!!???"
Sammy was new too, but only to an established band that had already kicked a$$.
I'll go with DLR, even though his ego was outrageous.

My first intro to VH was 'Jump' on MTV...(I was 10 when 1984 came out). Bought the record...(that's a big vinly disc with grooves on it for a needle to ride in to you young'uns.).
Was already a Hagar fan when 5150 came out and that was like DAMN!!!! Loved it immediately. Summer Nights, 5150, Good Enough, etc.
Much preferred even though 1984 is a great album.

<shrug>
To each their own. It's ALL good. But I'll always be Sammy > DLR

I thought the tread was about "SINGERS?" I could swear that's what the OP questioned. I like DLR; helluva front man. But a SINGER compared to Sammy............C'mon.

I thought the tread was about "SINGERS?" I could swear that's what the OP questioned. I like DLR; helluva front man. But a SINGER compared to Sammy............C'mon.

Yes. I knew I liked you .LOL..

I still would've have loved to see Patty Smith from Scandal front VH. That could've been awesome.

Van Hagar gets labeled pop rock a lot, but to me the "unreleased", Crossing Over shows a direction I wished they'd have explored more with Hagar VH. It's a super dark song with no typical Ed tapping or shredding, but it's heavy as hell and so different from most of the Hagar era VH songs. While it wasn't released on the Balance album, it was the B-side of the cassette single(remember those?) of Can't Stop Loving You and I personally think it's the best song they recorded during the Hagar period.

Yes. I knew I liked you .LOL..

I still would've have loved to see Patty Smith from Scandal front VH. That could've been awesome.

I'm with you guys on this. Hagar is a way better SINGER. Love the Dave era too, and he was perfect for those tunes. As for Sammy, I could listen to that Montrose album, and Standing Hampton every day.

i wasn’t into van halen in middle school, but DLR’s style reminded me very much of paul stanley at the time.

Shawn Shawn shawn...don't make me come over there. Bwahahaahah
Don't blame Sammy for Ed's songs being more melodic and poppy. Sam just wrote to what he was given, same as dave. And I actually prefer the tunes.

Humans Being for example, effing rocks as hard as anything off of VH1,2, and probably fair warning.
5150...same story.

OK, let's compromise and both agree that Gary Cherone was the best singer Van Halen ever had! :)

So, after much consideration, I’ve decided that except for Van Halen, the question is really what new band would you like to have seen formed by taking everyone but the singer from a band and adding a different singer.

For me, the band is what it is and I like it or don’t. An extreme case is Bob Dylan. Could the band really have been better with a different singer?

OK, let's compromise and both agree that Gary Cherone was the best singer Van Halen ever had! :)
837.jpg

So, after much consideration, I’ve decided that except for Van Halen, the question is really what new band would you like to have seen formed by taking everyone but the singer from a band and adding a different singer.

For me, the band is what it is and I like it or don’t. An extreme case is Bob Dylan. Could the band really have been better with a different singer?

Depending on the era, Dylan's band was 'the band' so yes, they were better minus Dylan. LOL

I like Dream Theater music, but I'm not a fan of James Labrie's vocals and how they mesh with the rest of the band's stuff.

Paul Day shouldn't be the lead singer of Iron Maiden. Problem solved.

Neither Michael "Valentine" O'Neill or Frank "Rick Prince" Karuba should be the lead singer of Twisted Sister. Problem solved.

Neither Axl Rose or Steve Perry can sing anymore so they souldn't be in the bands they are most well known for being in.

I have been a fan of both Sammy Hagar and Van Halen since before the "Van Hagar" thing happenned (and I approve of the merger btw). I haven't paid much attention to anything VH has been doing in the post Van Hagar years but I do have both Chickenfoot CD's.

Robert Plant is FN awesome!

I love many different kinds of Heavy Metal but I'm not really digging the Cookie Monster vocals lately. I've tried to like them but (with the exception of Lamb of God) I'd prefer to hear Metal bands employ more traditional vocal technique (ie "singing".

Reactions: jxe
Back