Bands you wished had different singers

Totally on board with this. The last two times I saw Motley I left five songs in.
My previous band was playing the same night as Motley was playing in Indy some years ago. A bunch of patrons came in, hung out and swore we were 1000x better than the Motley show, which they left from early, too. Proof there was adequate alcohol sales at the show. :D

Here’s one to get some riled up.
Rush
While I’m a fan, I would have liked them more with GL sticking to bass and adding a really good vocalist.
I don't really care for Geddy's singing or Neil's lyrics.
I'd be happy if they were an instrumental trio.

Not a Motley Crew fan, but might be tolerable without Vince Neil.

Totally on board with this. The last two times I saw Motley I left five songs in.

Shout at the Devil is a perfect record (except maybe for Helter Skelter) that couldn’t be improved upon with anyone else playing on it.

The rest of their output (besides Too Fast for Love) is trash IMO.

I forgot the vocals I dislike the most - any "Death Metal" vocals.

I am 100% on board with everything that was said about Dream Theater...
LaBrie in the studio is tolerable and his vocals actually do fit the band as a whole.. But live he just cannot cut it..
I have seen them multiple times on multiple tours (starting from the Awake Tour) and it is the same every time..
It does not matter if it's the beginning of a tour, in the middle of a tour, or at the end of a tour.. He over sings trying to match the intensity of the band and by doing so he doesn't just lose the key. he loses the whole door...
Joey Belladonna of Anthrax has the same problem...
If I did not have the ability to "Clear the Mechanism" and zone him out in concert than I would have stopped seeing them live over 20 years ago..
Ray Alder would be the greatest compliment on vocals...

I wish Michael McDonald never sang for The Doobie Brothers.

That’s what makes this thread cool. I knew there’d be differences of opinion. It’s largely subjective.

I’m a big MM fan. First time I heard “Taking it to the Streets” I was a fan. And, I wore the grooves out of my vinyl LP, Toulouse Street, which I bought my sophomore year in college in 1972 (Pre-MM).

Last edited:
That’s what makes this thread cool. I knew there’d be differences of opinion. It’s largely subjective.

I’m a big MM fan. First time I heard “Taking it to the Streets” I was a fan.

That's cool...it's kinda funny, "Taking It To The Streets" was on the radio as I was reading this thread and was the very reason I made the comment. Haha.

The thing is, I like some of MM's solo stuff, just don't care for him with the Doobies.

That's cool...it's kinda funny, "Taking It To The Streets" was on the radio as I was reading this thread and was the very reason I made the comment. Haha.

The thing is, I like some of MM's solo stuff, just don't care for him with the Doobies.

I was on my way around Atlanta at midnight heading to Ft. Lauderdale when I first heard that song on the radio. Good memories.

most of these gloom metal acts are missing their noddy holder, and covering up the lack of fun with constipated grunting or (‘my favorite’) fake opera crooning.

“IT’S CHRISTMAAAAS!”

5 songs? I lasted 5 minutes on AXS tv. Their farewell tour video was like listening to a group of 14 year-olds.

I went to the Farewell Tour just to see Alice Cooper! It must have been tough getting your ass kicked by a 66 year old every night. He's still kicking ass on stage every night, and just turned 70.

‘boys are back in town’ came on in a bar during world cup and guy insists to me that it’s actually billy joel; so i’m going to say ‘thin lizzy’ with billy joel instead of phil lynott.

Here’s one to get some riled up.

Rush

While I’m a fan, I would have liked them more with GL sticking to bass and adding a really good vocalist.

This was my first thought when I saw the thread title - the tone and register of his voice does nothing for me at all. And, from a casual observance, Neil Peart seems overrated as well, although the vocals get me away from any Rush before I can really judge that for sure.

Another one that bothers me more as time goes on - Roger Daltrey from The Who. It's like Tony Bennett got a side gig with an alternate identity.

And, somebody mentioned VH, I won't comment on DLR right now, but if anything ever happens to him being in the band, they need the guy from Steel Panther to take his place. I don't listen to Steel Panther much because their lyrical content gets old, but that guy is like Dave's clone, vocally.

This was my first thought when I saw the thread title - the tone and register of his voice does nothing for me at all. And, from a casual observance, Neil Peart seems overrated as well, although the vocals get me away from any Rush before I can really judge that for sure.

Another one that bothers me more as time goes on - Roger Daltrey from The Who. It's like Tony Bennett got a side gig with an alternate identity.

And, somebody mentioned VH, I won't comment on DLR right now, but if anything ever happens to him being in the band, they need the guy from Steel Panther to take his place. I don't listen to Steel Panther much because their lyrical content gets old, but that guy is like Dave's clone, vocally.

Neil overrated???????? Ack!

Well, that is a new one. I don't think I've EVER heard the comment "Neil Peart is overrated" before.

Back to vocalists:

Ray Alder could make any band better! Does he have time for Dream Theater? He's already in Redemption and Fates Warning!

And +1 on liking Michael McDonald. That '70's version is the best version of the Doobies, with different vocalists doing different styles.

Back