Bands that should've lasted longer...

Another of my homies from Birmingham, Damon Johnson was the lead guitar and singer for Brother CaneI always loved seeing them live. Technically, a version of them is still playing together since they broke up in the mid 90s. Still some catchy tunes and one that actually spent 6 weeks at #1 on the Billboard Rock Charts.

Its got harmonica AND Cow Bell....

This was the#1

Last edited:
Another of my homies from Birmingham, Damon Johnson was the lead guitar and singer for Brother CaneI always loved seeing them live. Technically, a version of them is still playing together since they broke up in the mid 90s. Still some catchy tunes and one that actually spent 6 weeks at #1 on the Billboard Rock Charts.

Its got harmonica AND Cow Bell....

This was the#1

I liked these guys. Really like what Damon is doing with Black Star Riders now.

Veruca Salt -- Chicago Indie darlings and a great, great club band who had a big hit with Seether in '94. The band themselves say they hit it big before they were ready and they never really followed up.

And going way back in Chicago rock history -- Mountain Bus were getting lots of buzz in the '70s with a great local album. Then they were sued by the band Mountain over the name and couldn't afford the court fight, so had to break up instead.

Veruca Salt -- Chicago Indie darlings and a great, great club band who had a big hit with Seether in '94. The band themselves say they hit it big before they were ready and they never really followed up.

Veruca Salt is back together, aren't they? Or was that a short-term reunion? Nina Gordon's solo albums were really good, especially "Tonight And The Rest Of My Life", which I just adore.

Veruca Salt is back together, aren't they? Or was that a short-term reunion? Nina Gordon's solo albums were really good, especially "Tonight And The Rest Of My Life", which I just adore.

Ooh, I missed that, but I hope so. Just went to their web site and there are no upcoming shows listed, but I'm really hoping they give it another go.

Another one...still touring but...I thought they would be huge...dig the tone... lots of cool memories attached this music...you guys remember Todd? You know...Todd with the big head, you know Big Head Todd that played with his monster back in the day. You know
... that dude...:p:D

Last edited:
Butts Band 1973-1975
Densmore, Krieger and Manzarek's attempt at a new "Doors." Manzarek split as his wife was about to give birth so they dropped the Doors name and went with Butts Band...yeah. According to Krieger, Butts Band was named after a bunch of losers looking for a gig. Unfortunate IMO, as they wrote some great music, especially on their self-titled first album. Jess Roden was recuited for vocals while Roy Davies handled keyboards and Phil Chen played bass and rhythm guitar on the 1974 release.

This is my favorite Butts song. You can hear a touch of the Doors as well as Krieger's jazz influences coming through and Roden's voice is perfect for this music.

They made just one more record as Butts Band with Densmore and Krieger being the only returning members before calling it a day. For me, I wish they'd chosen a different name and stuck with Roden on vocals, it would've been interesting to see if they would have gone farther than they did.

Last edited:
This is an act that should have had some life but a disagreement between Jaco & Tony Williams "doomed" it before it ever really got off the ground, THE TRIO OF DOOM. (Gotta love the name). Comprised of John McLaughlin, Jaco Pastorius and Tony Williams, this jazz rock fusion supergroup had the potential to eclipse the Mahavishnu, RTF & Weather Report, and if they added a top notch keyboardist who knows what mayhem they could have pulled off.

Riverdogs. I loved their first album, way back in 1990. I always liked Vivian Campbell's playing, and this was something a little different. I was stoked when they got back together and released new music last year. This is from that CD.

Back