Bandmates

I’m not trying to be a jerk here; this literally is at least twice as hard to read.

The goal of communication is to have others understand you, not throw their phones across the room.
I Am Communicating Just Fine. If You Can't Read What Is Being Said I Am Not Sure What To Say. If My Statements Or Writing Cause You To Throw Your Phone Across The Room The Problem Is On Your Side, Not Mine. :)

One thing I’ve learned is that, at least in the capacity that I play in bands, I have an easier time befriending someone than I do actually being in the band with them. Going along with that, I have friends I’d rather hang out with, than be in a band with again. We set a different bar for musical excellence, despite being great friends in most other ways.

The “weakest link” analogy definitely applies to bands. I’ve tried to push through with bandmates who weren’t at the same level, because we were friends, but musically it just doesn’t pan out. That’s not to say I wouldn’t continue being friends with new bandmates, but my line in the sand for knowing when the band isn’t gonna work has changed.

That all sounds pretentious, but I also fully acknowledge that sometimes I’m the one who isn’t up to par!

But I’m here for it as someone with a “unique” style of writing myself.
iPad, self provided “stylus”??? Don’t stop being you, brother.

It depends on why you play. If you're playing to make a living, and friction with a bandmate does not lower the numbers, you might have to live with it. Personally, I've never played with an a$$hole I didn't regret later. Life is too short to lower the environmental quality of your artistic expression. It can and should always be better, and you make it better together as a band. I'm on my 35th year playing with my high school band mates. We will be neighbors in the afterlife. It's always a legendary time, so much fun, therapeutic, and sometimes, we even sound good!

Come to think of it, I'll share a related story...

Back in my youth (hair band days), there was WAY more drama in the band ... but also, it was easier to put up with, because we were young, and because EVERYONE had some drama. But as grunge came in and killed the hairbands, so went our band. We all went our separate ways... some even stopped playing music altogether.

Two of them, the drummer and bass player, were high school buddies (we started the band in high school, then moved the band to NJ at 19 years old). But anyway, 25 years later, having not spoken to the drummer in all that time... we re-met back in our hometown, and it was like not a day had passed. We are like brothers. He started driving up to NJ for NC every fathers day (because he is a teacher, and his school was over by then), and staying at the house for a week, with his drums set up in the garage, and we jammed. He did this 3-4 years in a row. It was awesome to get to play those songs with someone again, and especially him- we shared a musical bond the others in the band didn't. And if he was here in NJ, he would be the drummer in my band. And if I lived down in NC by him, I'd be the guitar player in his. Relationships like that don't come along often, so I cherish it. One day we'll be jamming on "the big stage in the sky" together, and it's gonna be awesome.

I have become friends with some of the guys I have been in bands with. It usually happens after we spend a good amount of time together, as you do in a band, and we find out we have the same drive, values and goals as well as other things in common. I am still in touch with some of them. You don't have to be friends but you do have to get along because if you don't it won't last and the audience can tell if you don't like each other whether anyone thinks they can.

I have also started bands with guys I was already friends with. Those went pretty well because I already knew that we had the same drive and goals as well as other things in common before we ever got the band rolling.

I have also met a lot of characters in bands that I wouldn't spend any time with because we just don't gel with one another or they have addiction issues that I have no desire to be around. I have also met some guys that were genuinely good guys, until they start using. They just have a habit they can't kick and they are not the same person when stoned on their drug of choice.

I've been in a lot of bands over my 45 or so years of playing, I would guess over 30. In my days of making a living it didn't matter if we were friends or not as long as we could work together.

Since I just play for "fun" these days being friends is much more important to me but it rarely happens which isn't to say it never happens. My ultimate goal has been to find one band to finish up my days of playing where I am close with everyone in the band. I have made some lifelong friends playing music. One of the bands I'm currently in has proven to be the exception. I've been very lucky to become close friends with everyone in this band and it makes it very enjoyable for me. Unfortunately this band only plays 7 or 8 times a year so I am doing other bands to keep myself busy.

I Am Communicating Just Fine. If You Can't Read What Is Being Said I Am Not Sure What To Say. If My Statements Or Writing Cause You To Throw Your Phone Across The Room The Problem Is On Your Side, Not Mine. :)
I respect your opinions. I do find the capital on every word visually jarring, so sometimes skip your comment. No disrespect, it’s just an avoidable stress on my brain some days.

So consider the possibility that the aesthetic style is losing a portion of the audience.

Back