Band rehearsal during Covid?

alex1fly

Is anyone still doing band rehearsals during the pandemic? If so, do you have strategies for minimizing the risk of being in a small space with several other people for hours? Is ventilation, masks, distance, etc feasible in your rehearsal setup?

I've got the itch bad to get back in there after 7 months of no band practices...

Alex

Just exercise caution, as recommended by medical authorities. You might add a little distance as singing is a more forceful vocalization than speech. It’s a matter of weighing the situation based on your health, that of bandmates, and your practice area. It can be done with appropriate measures in place.

This is my personal opinion and practice. Others here may disagree, and I’m fine with that. In the end, it will always be an individual choice, and an individual responsibility.

We’re rehearsing again but are lucky enough to have a large warehouse at our disposal where we can spread out. We used to rehearse in a converted single car garage and several of us weren’t comfortable going back to that space. I also wear a mask when setting up or tearing down since we’re more likely to be close together as we come and go to our cars. We have hand sanitizer handy and I bring my own mic. I know some are pretty cavalier about this thing but I’m not willing to take chances, too many at-risk loved ones in my bubble.

I've had a couple of practices for a new band. We have a decent sized space so we aren't on top of each other and anyone singing uses their own microphone. That's about it.

I play in a smaller indoor space masked and not singing with one group, and some other guys in my garage with fans blasting and the door open.

Although I've not done this yet, a buddy of mine has suggested we meet up and just jam for practice. Not a band setting per se, just a little time exercising our chops. Slightly safer than a larger group, facemasks required. We'll see as the autumn season wears on. Need to be sure we're up on our flu shots beforehand.

No rehearsals for us. Re-infection rate is up, restrictions back in place.

Better to be safe than, well you know.

This. It's still a little too soon to be sure about what direction to follow concerning Covid, though science makes a strong case. Am cautiously optimistic about a vaccine, but vaccine trials need to be conducted before people can relax their guard about Covid. (Read: Unclench their buttocks).

We are practicing, but less. When we do we enter with masks, get in our areas then unmask if singing.

You might add a little distance as singing is a more forceful vocalization than speech.
Once again, instrumental bands are superior. (I'm tired of singing and have never been all that great at it anyway. Yet, I guess I have to play and sing those 4 albums worth of songs and stuff we wrote. )

We've practiced a few times this month. We're all very careful and trust each other not to do something stupid.

How is that working for you, any lag?

Watched a Zoom meeting of a group of high school kids doing a chorale song. Not sure how the video was released, whether the Zoom meeting was recorded, produced and released to YT, but it was a really good effort. So yes, Zoom meetings can be recorded and reviewed for future use. Regards latency, likely based on your internet speed connection, which can vary during the day or evening...

Our bassist has a nice 15x15 patio area in his front yard. We can sit outside, each of us in a different corner of the patio, and serenade the neighborhood. We bring a little amp for vocals so Jill doesn’t ruin her voice getting over a 4 piece band, even if we are playing acoustic instruments.

We have only had 1 or 2 rehearsals since the shut down, but we have had a number of Zoom appearances and a handful of outdoor shows.

I got in one practice with the new guys a couple weeks ago. We were in one guy's garage with a good bit of space between each person. I sang most of the stuff into a freshly sanitized mic. A fan was going, but I think more to keep us cool.

No handshakes, no elbow touches, nothing too close.

There are possibilities of private parties on the horizon, but not if it surges again like they are talking about now. Restaurants are just starting to open back up again for in-house eating.... But, who knows if that'll last very long? If it does last, I see more practices coming soon and hopefully osme stage time before too long as well. But, I'm not holding my breath.

My Church Worship Team is practicing on Thursday, and performing 2 services on Sundays. I have installed clear plexi spit guards on all the mics being used. These guards are 10 inches in diameter with a hole in the center for the mic to slide through. They work great on stands, not so much for hand held use. The rule is if you are not singing, wear a mask. There is no leeway in that rule, as our former Bass player found out on the first night of practice.

Back