Band Names?

Tower of Power (the band members admitted it had no meaning............just sounded cool to them so they went with it.)

The Counselors (back in the day when I was in a band)

I had a binder/organizer that I kept song lists & stuff that was recycled from a camp counselor job I had years before and it had my name and "counselor" on it. Our drummer & bass player ran with it and tried to substantiate it with the fact we played college bars. Bad idea/sucky name, but at least we got gigs.

I always like the names, Jane's Addiction and Breaking Benjamin. I wanted to name my band, Surrender Dorothy, and was disappointed to learn I wasn't the first.

Other bands I was in: Loose Canon, Designated Driver, and Booda Kat.

Yep, I'm struggling with no. 1, maybe 10cc

2. Well current band doesn't really have a name, but the first one was Otis

3. Because in college our music room was on the 3rd floor, there was this crappy elevator that you'd take your gear up in and it would inevitably try to eat your amp or guitar as you tried to unload before the doors closed. Was an Otis brand, we were struggling for name so yeah, we became Otis. Incidentally, also the name of my son (my partner rang me up and suggested the name, not knowing about the connection). His middle name is "Sergio" for obvious reasons :p

I wanted to name my band, Surrender Dorothy, and was disappointed to learn I wasn't the first.

You mean, with Dorothy or to come up with the name of the band?

In 1968 I was in a band called The Drugstore.

Yeah...I know, I know....it was college...

In 1970 I was in a band called Tattoo. That wasn't a bad name, actually; of course, none of us really had tattoos. Probably the best band I was in as a young guy, all originals, no covers. One time we opened for a band named Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen, who had a young guy named Bill Kirchen on guitar.

Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen were so freakin' good that I couldn't believe how meager my own talent was, either on guitar or keys. Shortly afterward I applied to law school.

Kirchen later taught me the solo for "Hot Rod Lincoln." I barely remember it, though he was a heck of a great guy, and very generous to show me.

Last edited:
A couple bands from way back. Rockaholics and Jiggle the Handle.

My current band has a lame name so I'm not going to say it.

1) Them
2) We Fix Flats!
3) Kept driving by a tire repair shop, they had a tire sign out front, then it popped into my head the play on words(flats vs sharps) and the exclamation point? Elaine Benes.

We're active on Reverbnation, with new instrumental recordings posted about once a month, but the PRS endorsement deal is still eluding us(me)...lol(exclamation point).

Last edited:
1) Cold Bait, Live Beer

2) Swamp 78

3) Not really. We needed a band name and the rest we had come up with were pretty terrible so we went with Swamp 78 and it has kinda stuck.

1.) Led Zeppelin maybe, The Who is also a favorite of mine.
2.) The Tree Fort Droogs
3.) I thought it was a stupid name and everyone looked at you funny when you told them the name then replied "The Tree Fort Dudes?" We called our practice room "The Tree Fort" and Droogs, which apparently means hoodlums, comes from the movie A Clockwork Orange. Prior to that we were called Tequila Mockingbird, which wasn't much better, and prior to that, Mooseknuckle, which was a lot worse (the story behind that involves a too-tight jump suite our singer was wearing at our first gig). :eek:

1. Hootie and the Blowfish
2. last one I was in was Nuthin' Fancy, which was a Skynryd album title. I didn't like it and came up with one I liked. No one else in the band cared for my choice.... Zippy Bollweevil and the Neon Squirrels.

1. The Faith Hills Have Eyes - My buddy is the lead guitarist, they're local, he's also in another band that I can't pronounce, but seems to get more stage time with The Faith Hills... I just thought it was kinda clever

2. Sinister Bach

3. I'm not in a band, but I've had that name in my head since I was in high school, always thought it would go along good with a melodic metal band or something.

1) Having trouble with this one. But I like names that are slightly interesting that might make you think for a second, but also something easy to remember. If it's multiple words, it's gotta have a good cadence. I won't say best ever, but I like these:
Periphery
Deftones
Karnivool

2) Go Play God

3) PRSh asked me what it meant. I asked what he thought it meant. He threw out a few things and I just kept answering, "it could be that". :)
I was leary of having God in the name because it immediately brings a positive or negative reaction from people before they hear us, a preconceived idea of sorts. The band is neither religion based nor anti religion. We all have our own personal views and the name has nothing to do with those views.

Back