Bad News for the Big G

Anyone able to translate the nitty gritty of that for us?

Basically, it's a chance to start over. They will restructure their debts into new payment agreements. They will reorganize, which could include downsizing and selling off some of the subsidiaries they own. Time will tell what changes actually take place, but bottom line is their core brands will keep doing business and Henry J will still be at the helm, for now at least.

Basically, it's a chance to start over. They will restructure their debts into new payment agreements. They will reorganize, which could include downsizing and selling off some of the subsidiaries they own. Time will tell what changes actually take place, but bottom line is their core brands will keep doing business and Henry J will still be at the helm, for now at least.
Probably. but it depends entirely on who the bankruptcy judge sets up as trustees and what they decide as far as management of the company in bankruptcy protection.

The factory will still be producing guitars. The company will almost surely sell off other business units. The debt payments they owe are being re-structured.

I'm shocked that Henry J is still running the company during this transition. Either he's a "dead man walking" or his management team is going to be gutted very soon. If he stays long-term and his management team gets gutted, he looks like a "sell out". He will have offered up all of his team as a sacrifice in order to keep his role. I can't believe that he's going to stay in the long-term. He's really screwed things up and I'd be shocked if the debt owners will allow him to continue in his role as part of the restructuring. Usually, a stipulation of the debt restructuring is new leadership. Often it's a short-term solution where an accountant is put into the chief role to get things figured out, and then a new CEO will be put in place to run the restructured organization.

This is just the first announcement of many. It will be interesting to see which "heads roll" as this develops. If Henry stays he's a real snake in my estimation.

Probably. but it depends entirely on who the bankruptcy judge sets up as trustees and what they decide as far as management of the company in bankruptcy protection.

Hence me saying "for now, at least."

Just read an interesting bit from Bloomberg that strongly implies his days are numbered:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...bankruptcy-with-deal-to-renew-guitar-business

"Court papers call for a one-year consulting deal and compensation package for Juszkiewicz. A representative for the company didn’t immediately respond to questions about whether Juszkiewicz will remain as CEO or in a separate role."
Regardless, the ownership and leadership balance will change, which will certainly lead to a lot of other changes.

Thanks fellas... I get bankruptcy in general, was more curious about this section:

According to the Gibson statement, "The Company has reached a 'Restructuring Support Agreement' with holders of more than 69.0% in principal amount of its 8.875% Senior Secured Notes due 2018, and its principal shareholders, that clears the pathway for the continued financing and operations of the musical instruments business as well as a change of control in favor of those noteholders."

This agreement with existing noteholders includes an additional $135 million in debtor-in-possession financing to allow the company to continue operations through this transitional period.

Thanks fellas... I get bankruptcy in general, was more curious about this section:

According to the Gibson statement, "The Company has reached a 'Restructuring Support Agreement' with holders of more than 69.0% in principal amount of its 8.875% Senior Secured Notes due 2018, and its principal shareholders, that clears the pathway for the continued financing and operations of the musical instruments business as well as a change of control in favor of those noteholders."

This agreement with existing noteholders includes an additional $135 million in debtor-in-possession financing to allow the company to continue operations through this transitional period.

You're never going to get EVERY entity that is owed money to agree on restructuring terms. The best you can hope for is a majority. I read this as the entities that represent 69% of the outstanding debt (that is paying 8.875% interest) have agreed to the restructuring terms. That's a big enough group to drive forward with the restructuring plan. The entities that are owed money who are not part of the 69% are going to have to accept the terms, lose everything or sue for a different plan.

I am going to be an optimist on this one and take the stance that Gibson guitars will be better off when they come out of bankruptcy. Someone(s) paid a bit too much for this business along the way..................

Interesting stuff from the rumor mill. Apparently Joe Bonamassa is interested in throwing his hat in the ring to buy Gibson. No way he has that kind of cash, but I assume he would be looking to lead a group of investors.

Interesting stuff from the rumor mill. Apparently Joe Bonamassa is interested in throwing his hat in the ring to buy Gibson. No way he has that kind of cash, but I assume he would be looking to lead a group of investors.

Agreed. He's not THAT rich, but he's the kind of name that would excite an investment group. I'd like to see it happen. I think it would be fun to see Gibson have a high-placed "guitar nerd". It would hopefully improve their QC.

Agreed. He's not THAT rich, but he's the kind of name that would excite an investment group. I'd like to see it happen. I think it would be fun to see Gibson have a high-placed "guitar nerd". It would hopefully improve their QC.
I'm cool with a guitar nerd, just not d-bag Joe :D

Back