Back to the drawing board...

I feel all of y'all's pain! LOL

A few years ago, I moved across the Country. I left a four-piece electric band and an acoustic duo. The 4 piece was making inroads into regional success and the acoustic duo was with an internationally known, multi W.C. Handy award winner. We were touring a little bit and had done a CD.

We moved for family reasons. While I know it was the correct decision and I do not regret it.... I do miss those beginnings of musical success.

It's been a struggle.... Shut downs didn't help.

Craigslist has been.... uh... As interesting, as usual.

I was in one band for almost a year. We sounded pretty good in the other guitar player's garage. Same story, neighbors bringing over lawn chairs, etc. Our first gig and I knew it wasn't gonna work out... Too much pre-gaming, no ability to remember arrangements, ignoring the set list, too much BS between songs.... And it had been a long drive, for short money. I cut bait.

The group of guys I'm playing with now is night and day. All very professional, organized, prepared for rehearsals and some of them are full time working musicians. Our band is not exclusive. So, sometimes we have to balance family life, gigs and rehearsals. But, because everyone in the band seems to believe in the project, we all seem to be able to find the time (most of the time).

I believe we will have our first actual gig within the next month (we've attended a jam or two as a band and killed it every time). I have complete faith in the band and am really excited about the project. It took me almost three years to find this group. I'm seriously jonesing for some stage time, though....

I'll be honest, I'm not sure what to do about this band... It's so strange having no band members to ***** and complain about.

My wife is non-musical. She likes music... Luckily, she likes mine! So, no worry of her Yoko Ono'ing anything....

To brighten things up, here’s a pic showing why getting a great group of people together to make music is totally worth the effort…

halloween-band1.jpg

Nice knees!

I’m very lucky. I’m currently playing with a local radio personality named Clarence “the bluesman” Turner. He’s a great player, a great guy, a good singer, and a good showman. While we’re only doing 2 or 3 gigs a month right now, the bass player and drummer have been with him for 10 years. There’s a smoking Russian keyboard player, and two horns and a percussionist when the money’s right. We all get along, and the band sounds great. Now about that money and road thing"…………..

They’re both shot. Gotta wait until I’m in my 60s to fix ‘em. But if you like them, you can have them. :D

I ran into an old basketball buddy a couple weeks ago (at a funeral, unfortunately) and he asked if I’d had one or both of my knees done yet. It wasn’t a general question, it was, have you had one done, or both. He couldn’t believe the answer was “no, neither one.”

Yet...

Don’t be sorry! I celebrate the fact that I had a flippin’ ball destroying this body over the years. No regrets.

Hopping on stage is a strict no-no but it gets caught on video periodically. :rolleyes:

I know what you mean. I was over at the gym last week to get my grandson and he asked me if I could dunk. I told him I'd be lucky to get the rim now, but I used to be able to dunk easily. Then he wanted to know why, if I used to be able to dunk, I couldn't still dunk. Because 60! That's why! LOL

Back