Back to the drawing board...

Call the first one a “Mulligan”!

i-left-under-unusual-circumstances-carey-mulligan.gif

Call the first one a “Mulligan”!

Works for me! I got it right the second time. Mrs Aahzz is actually a Berklee dropout, for sax and piano, but hasn't played anything since before we started dating. She ended up pursuing visual arts more, an area in which she's rather talented. My daughter inherited that talent and is pursuing a career as an animator. Anyway, as for Mrs Aahzz, she's not likely to end up in any band project - though she does sing well and may occasionally chime in on harmony vox.

Works for me! I got it right the second time. Mrs Aahzz is actually a Berklee dropout, for sax and piano, but hasn't played anything since before we started dating. She ended up pursuing visual arts more, an area in which she's rather talented. My daughter inherited that talent and is pursuing a career as an animator. Anyway, as for Mrs Aahzz, she's not likely to end up in any band project - though she does sing well and may occasionally chime in on harmony vox.

Nice

My wife can't sing AT ALL! What does this mean that I should do with her?

Hmmm. I would guess you didn't marry her for her voice, so...do whatever you did back then!

"You can't be serious. They're married now."

"One has lots of opportunities to recapture the glory. Or...not!" :eek:

"What glory have you recaptured?"

"OK. Does one have to recapture it with one's spouse, or is that optional? Asking for a friend."

You can't cheat on each other on stage?
You can but the “instruments” probably aren’t guitars. :eek:

Managing a band will never happen again for me. I became a d*ck because two of the members were children. We were gigging continuously back then and making ok money but no one had notions of “making it”. Life is too short to deal with irresponsible twits…no matter how amazing they are on their instrument.

Then there’s the incompetent band manager that takes only the low hanging fruit and we get crap for pay in a sh@t hole venue. Even when I’d do all the leg work and hand them the bookings, they’d either not call the venue or depth charge the deal by being a jerk. I wanted to take over, but see above.

My latest project - currently on hiatus - has been a trio for 5 years with no desire to play out. Just slap stuff together for our own enjoyment. Then, we decided to add a vocalist and people really dug it. Practicing at the drummer’s place, people would sit out in his front yard with lawn chairs and listen for hours. So we played one festival. It rocked. Thanks to the pandemic, we haven’t done squat since June 2020. We want to develop the show further but don’t want to deal with the venue negotiations and typical crap. Honestly, I’m the most qualified to manage he band, but see the first paragraph. I love these guys and don’t want to have to be their boss.

Last edited:
You can but the “instruments” probably aren’t guitars. :eek:

Managing a band will never happen again for me. I became a d*ck because two of the members were children. We were gigging continuously back then and making ok money but no one had notions of “making it”. Life is too short to deal with irresponsible twits…no matter how amazing they are on their instrument.

Then there’s the incompetent band manager that takes only the low hanging fruit and we get crap for pay in a sh@t hole venue. Even when I’d do all the leg work and hand them the bookings, they either not call the venue or depth charge the deal by being a jerk. I wanted to take over, but see above.

My latest project - currently on hiatus - has been a trio for 5 years with no desire to play out. Just slap stuff together for our own enjoyment. Then, we decided to add a vocalist and people really dug it. Practicing at the drummer’s place, people would sit out in his front yard with lawn chairs and listen for hours. So we played one festival. It rocked. Thanks to the pandemic, we haven’t done squat since June 2020. We want to develop the show further but don’t want to deal with the venue negotiations and typical crap. Honestly, I’m the most qualified to manage he band, but see the first paragraph. I love these guys and don’t want to have to their boss.
I hear this loud and clear.
Losing my lead player of 21 years is making me rethink my band experience. I have a new lead player now and he's a great guy. Have to teach him all the songs all over again.
Worst thing is our studio is currently not able to host gigs. New owner is paranoid of liabilities with 80+ peeps partying.
Rats.
We'll see how things go after we have the new guy up to snuff.

Well having never been in a band (except one I that I made up and played everything on under various musician names), I have only first hand witnessed band drama ever too many times with musician friends! I can only empathize with your plight Mr. Aahzz! I can say that about 5 months ago, a new friend suggested he, a mutual friend and myself form a band. I have no kids, work at home and set my own schedule, have a girlfriend who goes out with her various social crews often (so plenty of free time for me stuff), so I told the two of them "Great, you guys set up the times for us to get together and I will fit it into my schedule!". I am still waiting at the station for that train to roll in (and I have tried a plenty to fuel that trains startup)!!! Hence I have focused the past 3 months on my busking skills (3-5 hours a day, 6-7 days a week) which is coming together nicely and is about ready to hit the stage at one local venue for sure!

I wish you the best of luck in your woodshedding and your search for the right mates! It will happen!! Be patient and hold true to your guns (and Velas)!!!

Do you and your wife have volume wars????

Not really, I know the mantra “happy wife, happy life”;)

I hear this loud and clear.
Losing my lead player of 21 years is making me rethink my band experience. I have a new lead player now and he's a great guy. Have to teach him all the songs all over again.
Worst thing is our studio is currently not able to host gigs. New owner is paranoid of liabilities with 80+ peeps partying.
Rats.
We'll see how things go after we have the new guy up to snuff.

That sucks Dave!

I've been following you trying to put this band together over these past months. Sorry to hear that it didn't work out but I think it's for the better. You put a lot into the project. I like your new game plan. Go for it. I wish I was able to get back into a band/gigging situation but sadly my work hours won't allow it.

The last band I was in, we simply hired some session guys I knew to play bass and drums for gigs. It was so much better. The playing was a joy (they were killer players), and they showed up because they wanted to get paid.

I refused payment, because I wasn't there for the money.

I realize this sounds extreme, but it really worked out well! A band always sounds so much better with a great rhythm section, too. It was just a whole lot of fun.

The last band I was in, we simply hired some session guys I knew to play bass and drums for gigs. It was so much better. The playing was a joy (they were killer players), and they showed up because they wanted to get paid.

I refused payment, because I wasn't there for the money.

I realize this sounds extreme, but it really worked out well! A band always sounds so much better with a great rhythm section, too. It was just a whole lot of fun.
I cannot count the times I've played for zero dollars.
I've done it for charity. Done it to have other players paid instead of me. And done it just for the fun of it.

I cannot count the times I've played for zero dollars.
I've done it for charity. Done it to have other players paid instead of me. And done it just for the fun of it.
THis is in vast contrast to the band not getting paid from a retail venue (not for profits exempt). There’s nothing more corrosive to the live music scene than letting the owners think they can get your talent for free.

THis is in vast contrast to the band not getting paid from a retail venue (not for profits exempt). There’s nothing more corrosive to the live music scene than letting the owners think they can get your talent for free.
I agree, which has never mattered to us in the studio. All those gigs were partys/gigs for us.
Any time we went out we'd get paid, and I'd either take my share or split it between the bass/drummer.

Back