Back from the abyss...with a 513 BRW question

gag halfrunt

Big Bad Bill
Hello all,

Long time, no see. Or hear from. I've been more than busy for awhile, but am slowly getting back into gear. Thus, a return to the PRS forum and questions about new gear :)

My question is about a BRW 513 I am currently interested in. I have owned a number of Singlecuts and SC Trems with both IRW and BRW necks. Not every guitar is great at everything, so I have a specific need that I was hoping could be met by this model. I play a lot of modern high gain stuff, and in the past I had the hardest time getting my RW neck guitars to sound good with high gain (they often had a muddiness in high gain I could never clear up with EQ). Many pickup swaps later, I found some success, but never with the #6 or #7 pickups that came stock on my RW neck SCs. However, I have never played a 513 with a RW neck. I have heard that a pickup swap on this model would be rather difficult. I'm wondering if the bridge pickups on the RW 513, in either the clear or heavy switch positions, can get a fat distorted tone and avoid the muddiness so often encountered using RW necks with dirty amps.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and experience with this model.

- Bill

I didn’t use really high gain when I had a Braz 513 for a couple of weeks, but as I recall it didn’t have as much of a bottom end bias as my other Braz or IRW. The electronics gave it a very different character than a pair of humbuckers.
I really liked the guitar and felt it was good at dirt - I would have probably used it mostly for that if my cupboard hadn’t already been full.

I only have a 513 and Paul’s guitar and have never played any other PRSZ.........but I personally think 513 pickups excel at high gain. Others may disagree? That’s certainly my primary use for that guitar. Hers a great vid showing the versatility of these beasties.

Regardless of the guitar, Bill, I’m sure you will sound like you. :cool: And with the flexibility of that model, I’d be surprised if you couldn’t achieve your goal. But if you could spend time with it before pulling the trigger, that would be my preference.

Good to hear from you! (Now get your butt to NAMM next month!)

Regardless of the guitar, Bill, I’m sure you will sound like you. :cool: And with the flexibility of that model, I’d be surprised if you couldn’t achieve your goal. But if you could spend time with it before pulling the trigger, that would be my preference.

Good to hear from you! (Now get your butt to NAMM next month!)
Hey Kerry! What's up? I'd love to go to NAMM, but unfortunately it won't be this time.

I wish I could try out this 513 in advance, but it's several large states away. I'm hoping the guitar sounds BETTER than me. That's why we buy PRS, right? :D

Bill, are you between 49 and 60?
I think this is the most random question I've ever been asked on a forum :)

And yes. Isn't almost everyone on a guitar forum between 49-60? :p
I believe gush is referring to a recent thread that perhaps you are indeed qualified to join in on:

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/50-year-old-sh-tty-guitar-players-club-whos-in.28346/

But back to your original question:

There was another post here recently where someone lamented that their 513 with RW neck kept getting lost in the mix, and didn't have the push to be heard above the other guitarists/instruments. Ah, here it is:

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threa...n-give-a-quick-review-of-it.28301/#post-35843

IMHO, the unique tone imparted by a RW neck may indeed be the reason that poster's 513 didn't cut through, and you may also have the same issue, or, depending on your equipment and bandmates, may not.

I believe gush is referring to a recent thread that perhaps you are indeed qualified to join in on:

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/50-year-old-sh-tty-guitar-players-club-whos-in.28346/

But back to your original question:

There was another post here recently where someone lamented that their 513 with RW neck kept getting lost in the mix, and didn't have the push to be heard above the other guitarists/instruments. Ah, here it is:

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threa...n-give-a-quick-review-of-it.28301/#post-35843

IMHO, the unique tone imparted by a RW neck may indeed be the reason that poster's 513 didn't cut through, and you may also have the same issue, or, depending on your equipment and bandmates, may not.
Excellent info. And thanks for the link to that other thread!

Back