Back Covers: Before and After

WeFixFlats

Respect The Clave
The cheap black plastic control covers on these guitars drives me completely insane. Especially Private Stock.
Well these aren't PS but I just couldn't go any longer looking at them day in and day out. (The screws are flush)

Plus the guitars now play and sound better.;)

I reversed these after seeing the pictures. The sustain is incredible now~!

Last edited:
Looks darn good, Flats!

I'm always fine with the plastic covers (even my PS guitars have 'em), but those look pretty cool!

It's always a joy to have exactly what makes ya happy. ;)

Putting PRS fretboard conditioner on these rosewood control panel covers(both sides) protects the wood, darkens the color and makes them look more finished.

WgAyhEs.jpg

Last edited:
Glad you are happy with them. :) I have to go out of my way to see mine. Even left one of mine off so as not to wear the PRSh sig off of it. Funny what is important to people and what is not. I did put rosewood pickup rings on a number of mine and PRSh doesn't like that. He's asked me twice at two different M&G's why I would do that. I said "because I like the look". He just shook his head.o_O

As for me, I changed the pickup rings on my 408 to a PRS Black Set. Looks so much better against the Vintage Cherry finish with the black pickups. On the other hand, all my others have the stock ones. But as far as these two guitars(McCarty and Santana) the black plastic covers mounted on the beautiful mahogany backs(though some would say, who looks at the backs anyway?) was completely, utterly and totally driving me insane. Even when I looked at the front of the guitars, I knew as soon as I flipped them over, I'd see those big black plastic covers. :eek:

Nice work!

I made a custom wood pick guard for a jazz box a couple years ago, and it made a difference in the look and feel and playability of the instrument (I mounted new 'hidden' vol/tone knobs under it). If I had a rosewood neck on the 408, I'd definitely make/procure rosewood covers for the back cavities. But since I don't, I'll leave the plastic ones in-place.

Those look nice, Flats!

I'm in the minority, though. I actually like the plastic cavity covers PRS uses. :eek:

I love those!! I'm a rosewood blingy fanatic myself. Oddly enough, I absolutely do not like wood control knobs. There has to be the correct amount of contrast for me.

Also, the rosewood rings and back plates must have black screws.

Back