Baby got ‘10 Back’

Gyakuto

PRS guitars are known for their, amongst other things, beautifully figured tops and gorgeous colours. So why not put a figured veneer on the back of the guitar, as place the owner sees all the time? They’ve put figured stained neck on the guitar so isn’t the back of the body the next logical place to beautify? You could have a flame top and a quilt on the back. Blue front, yellow back or whatever.

What do you think?

They actually do double 10 tops on a Hollowbody. You can get both top and back as a 10. I'll stick with some cool figured wood.

vw6ktc4.jpg

uxiGoUS.jpg

IOjILE0.jpg

Oh wow...that is beautiful. PRS think of everything!

Now how about a solid gold Custom 24.....:cool:

Oh that is gorgeous. Are PRS guitars the most beautiful guitars in the world?

I'd say consistently, yes. And to your point, if they use veneer, the wood will not vibrate the same way, and the sound will be different. One of my great thrills is feeling the wood vibrate when I'm ripping with my bros on stage anywhere. I don't want that to change, ever.

I used to be very sceptical about ‘tone woods’, ‘ebony fretboards are brighter than rosewood’ etc thinking any contribution to ones tone from these elements are swamped by contributions from amp/pick up. However I’ve softened that approach a little after debates with a mechanical engineer friend of mine who has suggested a guitar’s components act a sort of subtractive tone generator. The raw open tone is a wire stretched between two piece of metal ( in the case of a Floyd Rose equipped guitar) like the low pass filter (LPF) on a synth being wide open. Adding bits of different timber absorb some of those vibrations like closing the LPF. The stiffness of the materials, the joint between the neck and body and the stiffness and thickness of the finish etc all subtract frequencies from the string and metal.

All together, their affects are considerable, but I bet the average adult male (age-related hearing loss is considerable and disproportionately affects the high end) would be hard-pushed to detect a single factor being changed, like increasing the finish thickness or swapping rosewood for ebony finger boards. I’m sure there are Youtube clips where they do just this but they make big changes like body timbers.

Anyway...fascinating....

I used to be very sceptical about ‘tone woods’, ‘ebony fretboards are brighter than rosewood’ etc thinking any contribution to ones tone from these elements are swamped by contributions from amp/pick up. However I’ve softened that approach a little after debates with a mechanical engineer friend of mine who has suggested a guitar’s components act a sort of subtractive tone generator. The raw open tone is a wire stretched between two piece of metal ( in the case of a Floyd Rose equipped guitar) like the low pass filter (LPF) on a synth being wide open. Adding bits of different timber absorb some of those vibrations like closing the LPF. The stiffness of the materials, the joint between the neck and body and the stiffness and thickness of the finish etc all subtract frequencies from the string and metal.

All together, their affects are considerable, but I bet the average adult male (age-related hearing loss is considerable and disproportionately affects the high end) would be hard-pushed to detect a single factor being changed, like increasing the finish thickness or swapping rosewood for ebony finger boards. I’m sure there are Youtube clips where they do just this but they make big changes like body timbers.

Anyway...fascinating....
I came to similar conclusion after years of observing real guitars, and not internet propaganda. There’s a movement out there probably originating from a point of ego, that obscures correct thinking on this issue.

I hang my guitars on the wall backwards once a week to enjoy!

Joking but the thought has crossed my mind a time or two, especially looking at the pictures!

Back