AX20e rattling

Aahzz

Bluebeard Member
I'm wondering if anyone else has a problem with rattling on their SE acoustic. I'm pretty sure the rattling in mine is coming from the sound hole volume/tone controls, but am not sure how to stop it. Has anyone had a similar issue and fixed it? I'll probably just take it to a tech, but thought I'd ask here first...

Aahzz

Bluebeard Member
Took it to the tech today - he's seen several of these do it - apparently the plastic bracket that holds the sound hole preamp/controls is not the strongest. He's ordered me a replacement, it'll be here in a couple weeks...in the meantime I can live with the rattling.

DreamTheaterRules

Recovering jokester
Took it to the tech today - he's seen several of these do it - apparently the plastic bracket that holds the sound hole preamp/controls is not the strongest. He's ordered me a replacement, it'll be here in a couple weeks...in the meantime I can live with the rattling.
I’d consider some kind of damping material in a few small spots when mounting it, depending on what it braces against.

LSchefman

Historical Entity
Sorry to hear it's problematic! I think they're great guitars, especially for the dough!

As a sidebar...

My PS acoustic came with a pickup (reputedly a good one). It didn't add to the cost at the the time I got the guitar, so I said, sure, why not?

I've had several guitars with built-in pickups, and have never had one work for me. It's always been better just to put a mic up and go from there. The one on my PS was a bit nicer sounding, but I still haven't used it. I tried it with my best direct box, and later even tried it with Universal Audio's plugin that supposedly eliminates the piezo sound, but no dice. It sounds best with a mic, and I have mics, so that's how I use it.

Even for live performance, I'd use a mic. I realize these pickup systems are popular, but I can't quite figure out why anyone uses them. Oh well.

BTW, if you don't already know this, you TLM102 is a superb acoustic guitar mic...

At some point I took the batteries out of my PS, and use the guitar the way the Great Gods of Acoustic Guitars intended - in front of a mic!

"I thought you didn't believe in supernatural beings, yet you refer to Great Gods of Acoustic Guitars."

"True. I'd be lying if I said I have any belief in the supernatural.'Tthe Great Gods of Acoustic Guitars' is merely a turn of phrase. Creative license, if you will."

'You mean to tell me that there are no 'Great Gods of Acoustic Guitars'? I think you blaspheme, my friend. How about pedals. Is there a great god of pedals?"

"No."

"Amps?"

"Doubtful. But there might be a Great God of NOS Tubes."

"Seriously?"

"No."