AX20e rattling

Aahzz

Bluebeard Member
I'm wondering if anyone else has a problem with rattling on their SE acoustic. I'm pretty sure the rattling in mine is coming from the sound hole volume/tone controls, but am not sure how to stop it. Has anyone had a similar issue and fixed it? I'll probably just take it to a tech, but thought I'd ask here first...

Took it to the tech today - he's seen several of these do it - apparently the plastic bracket that holds the sound hole preamp/controls is not the strongest. He's ordered me a replacement, it'll be here in a couple weeks...in the meantime I can live with the rattling.

Took it to the tech today - he's seen several of these do it - apparently the plastic bracket that holds the sound hole preamp/controls is not the strongest. He's ordered me a replacement, it'll be here in a couple weeks...in the meantime I can live with the rattling.
I’d consider some kind of damping material in a few small spots when mounting it, depending on what it braces against.

Sorry to hear it's problematic! I think they're great guitars, especially for the dough!

As a sidebar...

My PS acoustic came with a pickup (reputedly a good one). It didn't add to the cost at the the time I got the guitar, so I said, sure, why not?

I've had several guitars with built-in pickups, and have never had one work for me. It's always been better just to put a mic up and go from there. The one on my PS was a bit nicer sounding, but I still haven't used it. I tried it with my best direct box, and later even tried it with Universal Audio's plugin that supposedly eliminates the piezo sound, but no dice. It sounds best with a mic, and I have mics, so that's how I use it.

Even for live performance, I'd use a mic. I realize these pickup systems are popular, but I can't quite figure out why anyone uses them. Oh well.

BTW, if you don't already know this, you TLM102 is a superb acoustic guitar mic...

At some point I took the batteries out of my PS, and use the guitar the way the Great Gods of Acoustic Guitars intended - in front of a mic!

"I thought you didn't believe in supernatural beings, yet you refer to Great Gods of Acoustic Guitars."

"True. I'd be lying if I said I have any belief in the supernatural.'Tthe Great Gods of Acoustic Guitars' is merely a turn of phrase. Creative license, if you will."

'You mean to tell me that there are no 'Great Gods of Acoustic Guitars'? I think you blaspheme, my friend. How about pedals. Is there a great god of pedals?"

"No."

"Amps?"

"Doubtful. But there might be a Great God of NOS Tubes."

"Seriously?"

"No."

It sounds best with a mic, and I have mics, so that's how I use it.
I am very frustrated with this! I too (with WAY less experience than Les - pun intended) can not find an acoustic pickup I like. My Martin J40 did not come with a pickup, and I decided to auger out the strap button hole and install a Fishman Rare Earth Mic Blend pickup system. Neither the mic nor the pup's sound worth a damn!! Wish I had never even installed it!!! I have not tried the TLM102 (but have heard good things about them for miking acoustics) and personally use the Shure SM81-LC's in a 90 degree pairing (one pointed at 14th fret, one running parallel to fret board)!!!! I am pretty happy with that set up for capturing my acoustic sound, but when I am singing along (almost always), I of course get bleed through into those mics of my voice!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Not trying to hijack this thread and Mr. Aahzz's woes, but if anyone has any suggestions (I have tried lots), feel free to chime in!

As for the acoustic gods, they are known as Vibration Fairies and they dance through the airwaves (but only when the acoustic is being played without any external amplification)! If you can see them as you play, you are in the right space!! Do NOT confuse the Stringer Fairies with the Woody Fairies!! It's like calling a Sicilian . . . Italian!!!

Best of luck on resolution of this issue Mr. Aahzz!

I am very frustrated with this! I too (with WAY less experience than Les - pun intended) can not find an acoustic pickup I like. My Martin J40 did not come with a pickup, and I decided to auger out the strap button hole and install a Fishman Rare Earth Mic Blend pickup system. Neither the mic nor the pup's sound worth a damn!! Wish I had never even installed it!!! I have not tried the TLM102 (but have heard good things about them for miking acoustics) and personally use the Shure SM81-LC's in a 90 degree pairing (one pointed at 14th fret, one running parallel to fret board)!!!! I am pretty happy with that set up for capturing my acoustic sound, but when I am singing along (almost always), I of course get bleed through into those mics of my voice!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Not trying to hijack this thread and Mr. Aahzz's woes, but if anyone has any suggestions (I have tried lots), feel free to chime in!

As for the acoustic gods, they are known as Vibration Fairies and they dance through the airwaves (but only when the acoustic is being played without any external amplification)! If you can see them as you play, you are in the right space!! Do NOT confuse the Stringer Fairies with the Woody Fairies!! It's like calling a Sicilian . . . Italian!!!

Best of luck on resolution of this issue Mr. Aahzz!
The frustrating fact is that sticking a microphone inside a guitar body is not going to deliver anything like the sound you hear in front of the instrument. It can't. And even the best piezo pickups don't sound like a miked-up acoustic guitar. You can mess with it, you can EQ the crap out of it, still doesn't sound like a miked instrument.

The more mics you put in front of the guitar, the more bleed you get. There's no perfect way around this unless you use a single mic with a very tight polar pattern, and find a way to aim the mic at the guitar so that the mic's diaphragm aims away from your voice. This usually doesn't produce the ideal sound, but if you try it, aim for the point where the neck hits the guitar body and point the mic as best you can so it doesn't aim at you while you sing.

I always record vocal and guitar separately unless the singer simply can't perform without playing the instrument while singing. I've only had this happen once and here's how I solved it:

I had the singer hold the guitar and make the chord shapes while strumming extremely softly in one pass, with one finger or the thumb, and then overdubbed the acoustic guitar without singing. Yes, you'll hear a bit of this strumming when you blend in the "good" acoustic track, but it beats a sharp stick in the eye.

However, let's assume for the moment that with a little practice you can deliver a separate vocal performance.

The setup you're using is a bit hit-or-miss in creating a stereo image, which is the whole point of using two mics, right? If you can play the acoustic without singing at the same time, try this setup:

I use a spacebar and mount the mics in a Nederlandse Omroep Stichting (Dutch Radio Foundation) 'NOS' stereo array. The right distance is when you hear the stereo image solidly snap into place in your cans. I sit on a rolling chair and move the chair around while I'm playing to find this distance from the mics, mark it, and then set up a proper stool so there's no wheel noise. With this technique and a couple of decent mics, the guitar sounds like it's live in the room. The imaging is fantastic.

Here's how to do the NOS technique, though it's for recording the instrument if you're not singing, because there will be vocal bleed:

Happy recording and good luck!

The frustrating fact is that sticking a microphone inside a guitar body is not going to deliver anything like the sound you hear in front of the instrument. It can't be. And even the best piezo pickups don't sound like a miked-up acoustic guitar. You can mess with it, you can EQ the crap out of it, still doesn't sound like a miked instrument.

The more mics you put in front of the guitar, the more bleed you get. There's no perfect way around this unless you use a single mic with a very tight polar pattern, and find a way to aim the mic at the guitar so that the mic's diaphragm aims away from your voice. This usually doesn't produce the ideal sound, but if you try it, aim for the point where the neck hits the guitar body and point the mic as best you can so it doesn't aim at you while you sing.

I always record vocal and guitar separately unless the singer simply can't perform without playing the instrument while singing. I've only had this happen once and here's how I solved it:

I had the singer hold the guitar and make the chord shapes while strumming extremely softly in one pass, with one finger or the thumb, and then overdubbed the acoustic guitar without singing. Yes, you'll hear a bit of this strumming when you blend in the "good" acoustic track, but it beats a sharp stick in the eye.

However, let's assume for the moment that with a little practice you can deliver a separate vocal performance.

The setup you're using is a bit hit-or-miss in creating a stereo image, which is the whole point of using two mics, right? If you can play the acoustic without singing at the same time, try this setup:

I use a spacebar and mount the mics in a Nederlandse Omroep Stichting (Dutch Radio Foundation) 'NOS' stereo array. The right distance is when you hear the stereo image solidly snap into place in your cans. I sit on a rolling chair and move the chair around while I'm playing to find this distance from the mics, mark it, and then set up a proper stool so there's no wheel noise. With this technique and a couple of decent mics, the guitar sounds like it's live in the room. The imaging is fantastic.

Here's how to do the NOS technique, though it's for recording the instrument if you're not singing, because there will be vocal bleed:

Happy recording and good luck!
Thanks for the detailed response Mr. Les! I will look further at the NOS technique!! I am using the 90 degree setup (Blumlein Pair Array) not to stereo the sound per se (even though that is what creates the room ambience), but to capture two different sounds and blend them to taste. I have not done any acoustic recording since I got my first PRS Electric (Feb '21), so it has been a while, but seems to me one had richer bass tones and the other captured the brightness better. Anyway, I can sing independent, but as you know, when playing and singing, it takes on a special blend (at least in my experience) due to the simultaneous instrumenting you are engaging in!

I'm wondering if anyone else has a problem with rattling on their SE acoustic. I'm pretty sure the rattling in mine is coming from the sound hole volume/tone controls, but am not sure how to stop it. Has anyone had a similar issue and fixed it? I'll probably just take it to a tech, but thought I'd ask here first...
I played an se acoustic at guitar center 3 years ago and it was a fantastic guitar. First time I had played a prs acoustic and I was thoroughly impressed. I played it for about an hour but walked out without it.

I stewed about it for a week then I called them only to find it was gone.

Next time I went there was another one but it rattled like what you described. I record so that was a deal breaker.

I ended up with a Steve Fischer Angelus core.

W
I
N

PRS sent a new preamp assembly, and I dropped the guitar off at my tech this morning. We'll see next week :).
I've tried, but cannot hold back:

A man of quality such as yourself, with your sensibilities, perspicacity and skill, should be playing only PS acoustics, or acoustics by other acclaimed masters of acoustic guitar making.

I mean, your bowler should not be more interesting than your guitar.

Just sayin'.

I've tried, but cannot hold back:

A man of quality such as yourself, with your sensibilities, perspicacity and skill, should be playing only PS acoustics, or acoustics by other acclaimed masters of acoustic guitar making.

I mean, your bowler should not be more interesting than your guitar.

Just sayin'.

If the funding were currently available I'd be playing a PS :).

Sorry to hear it's problematic! I think they're great guitars, especially for the dough!

As a sidebar...

My PS acoustic came with a pickup (reputedly a good one). It didn't add to the cost at the the time I got the guitar, so I said, sure, why not?

I've had several guitars with built-in pickups, and have never had one work for me. It's always been better just to put a mic up and go from there. The one on my PS was a bit nicer sounding, but I still haven't used it. I tried it with my best direct box, and later even tried it with Universal Audio's plugin that supposedly eliminates the piezo sound, but no dice. It sounds best with a mic, and I have mics, so that's how I use it.

Even for live performance, I'd use a mic. I realize these pickup systems are popular, but I can't quite figure out why anyone uses them. Oh well.

BTW, if you don't already know this, you TLM102 is a superb acoustic guitar mic...

At some point I took the batteries out of my PS, and use the guitar the way the Great Gods of Acoustic Guitars intended - in front of a mic!

"I thought you didn't believe in supernatural beings, yet you refer to Great Gods of Acoustic Guitars."

"True. I'd be lying if I said I have any belief in the supernatural.'Tthe Great Gods of Acoustic Guitars' is merely a turn of phrase. Creative license, if you will."

'You mean to tell me that there are no 'Great Gods of Acoustic Guitars'? I think you blaspheme, my friend. How about pedals. Is there a great god of pedals?"

"No."

"Amps?"

"Doubtful. But there might be a Great God of NOS Tubes."

"Seriously?"

"No."
I have to agree, the pickup systems in acoustic guitars tend to sound bad to me. I hoped the one in my Angelus would sound good but it's just so so. I've only used it once at a live acoustic show so there's that.

Back