AUGUST PS GOM: HOLCOMB 8-STRING

Saw the announcement earlier. Still trying to figure out where my jaw bounced to after it dropped.

My pudgy little hands probably can't handle 8 strings.

But great googly moogly!!!

26.5" scale length on an 8 seems a bit short to me, especially when Mark has a 25.5" on his 6 string.

I heart this so hard!
26.5" scale length on an 8 seems a bit short to me, especially when Mark has a 25.5" on his 6 string.
I don't know, sounds perfect to me. I am on the fence about it -- I'm more of a seven and six string player. Oh, well, I've got too much else going on, so that settles it for now. We'll see if I change my mind, as I am wont to do.

I do have two or three eight stringers (does an NS/Stick count?), but I find I play them entirely differently. I put them on the backburner until I mastered the sixers and sevens first. It was just learning too many new things at once.

Also, the subject of 7 strings was brought up at the recent White Room/Chuck Levin's shindig, and he didn't even hint at this, remind me never to play poker with this guy.

I heart this so hard!I don't know, sounds perfect to me. I am on the fence about it -- I'm more of a seven and six string player. Oh, well, I've got too much else going on, so that settles it for now. We'll see if I change my mind, as I am wont to do.

I haven't played an 8 that was less than 27'' in scale length. I'd be interested to hear why Mark selected this scale length. Perhaps he will mention it in a YouTube video about the guitar or in an interview, etc.

Wow. If I had the cash I'd be all over this. Maybe just maybe they'll turn this into a production Core model. But probably not.

Wow.

Good for PRS and PRSh for doing this.
I love that they acknowledge ALL genres of music, not just the usual suspects.
Bravo!

When Paul starts fanning his frets, you'll hear the fat lady singing.

I realize that fanned frets are used as a way to address concerns with scale length and aren't about temperament, but as imperfect as the guitar is I can't imagine it's anything other than worse with fanned frets. I wonder if True Temperament has any math on display for their system versus traditional frets and/or fanned frets.

Either way, it's a cool guitar and I am glad to see PRS tackle the 8 string. I've asked for quotes on one many times and it's never gone anywhere.

I haven't played an 8 that was less than 27'' in scale length. I'd be interested to hear why Mark selected this scale length. Perhaps he will mention it in a YouTube video about the guitar or in an interview, etc.
Yeah, I don't think I have, neither, but this is an interesting scale length to me, as one of the reasons I've eschewed an 8 string is the scale length.

I'm surprised that the top 6 strings are tuned standard.
Wow. If I had the cash I'd be all over this. Maybe just maybe they'll turn this into a production Core model. But probably not.
Most probably not. At the White Room/Chuck Levin's shindig, someone asked about the 7-string, and he said, "of course we make 7-strings, you can order one. We made one for Mark Holcomb, and he said it was the best 7-string he ever played." The way he said it, he made it sound like it would remain private stock only. Which is fine, but he's basically saying he's not willing to try to wedge into that market, which is also fine.

Absolutely awesome guitar!!! However 8 strings are 2 too many for me - I have enough trouble playing the 6 string variety.

It might work... Probably does just fine, I doubt PRS would release something that's floppy, lol

My 7 string is a 26.5", and it's pretty tight with 10's on it, so maybe with the Holcomb 8 you can actually bend, lol

Very cool, but I also think an 8 string benefits from a longer scale length. This is coming from someone who loves short scale, but longer is real nice for rhythm on an 8. Leads may suffer a bit though which is why some use fan frets as jfb mentioned. Fan frets aren't perfect but work better than many people give them credit for. As long as the fan isn't too severe its actually quite ergonomic and comfortable.

Back