Audio Interfaces - Let's Talk!

Bogner

Redwood Original - Pure Blood
What are you using to capture your ideas, etc. and for recording? Let's talk!

81TdjPmnKwL._SL1500_.jpg

I bought this one just under a year ago. It was pricey but I would buy this one again. I can see this working for me for a very long time. RME is one of, if not the best at producing drivers for their units for many years.

I forgot to mention that I bought it at a time where I got this unit with it for free. This makes it much easier and faster to use for me.

SSL2. I've found I prefer the sound of the built-in mic preamps to the Steinberg or Focusrite that I've had in the past, and the price is still pretty decent. Software is Adobe Audition, on a MacBook Air.

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and Abelton Live. Cheap and easy.
Yep! Ditto. The Scarlett part. Not Abelton.

I'm using the Scarlett 2i2 into Reaper. I will never record my singing but got the two channel (2i2) in the unlikely event someone would ever come here and I need to record another input, say, should we jam. The difference in cost between Solo and 2i2 is so minimal I went with two channel.

I use a variety of methods/equipment as I am sure many here do. My most common is Tascam Model 12 but the caveat on that is, it is being fed by my Axe FXIII with both DI and processed channels of both vocal and guitar. I intend on eventually using just the Axe FXIII as my interface (it has 8 channel out which is enough for me in most cases) but have not had the time recently to make that happen (and probably will not have said time until end of year or so)!

Prior to the Tascam, I never had any problems with my Mackie Onyx Blackjack II with the exception of the limited number of channels! Then again, I have never done a side by side to test out the quality of each interfaces recordings, but I did release a couple of albums and several singles that I was happy with using that interface!!!

When I am out on the porch (girl has gone to bed), my Zoom H6 is a reliable recorder with 6 input channels (mic or line) but would probably never use it for studio stuff just because of the mobile form factor and limited channel controls compared to the Tascam!

DAW is Cubase 12 on Win 10 with a box I put together in 2015 (and is still plenty fast enough for my needs)! Love that the new Cubase 12 has abandoned the dreaded dongle and allows it installed on 2 or 3 machines (can't remember for sure how many)!!

Universal Audio Apollo. I like the sound quality, and the software's pretty darn good-sounding (UAD).

There are times I even use their proprietary Luna system for mixing.

Nonetheless, anything on the market today is light years ahead of what great records used to be made with back in the day, unless you were lucky enough to have an SSL or Neve console.

So it doesn't matter WHAT you use, what matters more is that you USE it!!!

The music IS what matters. The rest is the icing on the cake.

"Your music sucks, Les."

"So I need good gear."

"Doesn't solve your problem."

SSL2+. I need advice on setting it up properly. I CAN NOT STAND latency, and it totally messes with me while playing. A few years back I got a semi functioning recording system and recorded a few things, but latency drove me so crazy it made me not want to record. The newer systems claim latency so low it should be imperceptible, but my system still had a noticeable amount when I hooked up my 2+ and I know it can get better of I get it set up properly.

SSL2+. I need advice on setting it up properly. I CAN NOT STAND latency, and it totally messes with me while playing. A few years back I got a semi functioning recording system and recorded a few things, but latency drove me so crazy it made me not want to record. The newer systems claim latency so low it should be imperceptible, but my system still had a noticeable amount when I hooked up my 2+ and I know it can get better of I get it set up properly.
What's the rest of the chain?
Cab/Mic/or processor?
Computer/PC?
Software?
Monitors/Headphones?
That unit should be just fine.

what are you listening to that latency matters during live recording?

What's the rest of the chain? Usually, guitar>Atomic Amplifier 12>SSL2+>computer
Cab/Mic/or processor? Yes, I have mics, I have processors. I use both.
Computer/PC? Core i5 pentium 2.5G, 8 gig ram, SS hd
Software? reaper
Monitors/Headphones? Both. Focal Alpha 65
That unit should be just fine.
the computer is not new/ultimate, but would have been faster than anything 7-10 years ago and people recorded then, right? So it should be good enough. I can add 8 more gig ram if needed.

what are you listening to that latency matters during live recording?
I don’t understand the question. Going back to when I first tried to record multiple tracks, years ago, I record a rhythm track then go to play lead over it, or whatever, the latency in the live track I’m playing drives me crazy. Turning the monitor mix knob to hear my live playing vs. the recording, or blending the two, is worse…

I don’t understand the question. Going back to when I first tried to record multiple tracks, years ago, I record a rhythm track then go to play lead over it, or whatever, the latency in the live track I’m playing drives me crazy. Turning the monitor mix knob to hear my live playing vs. the recording, or blending the two, is worse…
that’s so unexpected, i mean you seen my interface (also have an audient, same results) and no issues recording live instruments while play back other tracks. my current machine is a 16gb m1 mac mini with logic, my previous was a really old hp zbook laptop running bigwig and ableton.

so i don’t know howie, but get it together soon because i woul love to listen to something new in the vh/oz/rush school right nahh.

mahogany rush, is that like an afrikan rush cover act? like (and this may be before your time, how) mali hatchet?

don’t give me that don’t understand the question crap! 40 laps!

the computer is not new/ultimate, but would have been faster than anything 7-10 years ago and people recorded then, right? So it should be good enough. I can add 8 more gig ram if needed.
OK that's cool.
That said, what is the DAW/recording software, and how is it routed?
I'm only guessing, but I'm thinking this might be it.

Back