Attenuators

nussbajh

So this is how I change away from “New Member”
I know a lot of people on here use attenuators. I am looking into getting one, and while I know most of you use the Ox Box, I can’t swing that kind of bank. Does anyone have any recommendations for other attenuators that would be in a cheaper range and work for amplifiers primarily 30 watts and down? I am looking to use it with an HXDA 30, Archon 25, or Custom 20 amp. I have looked at the Dr. Z Z break-lite, and Tone King Ironman II mini but don’t know anything about them any help is appreciated.
Thank you!

Got one of these. I can’t let you know what it’s like until Saturday, well because you know why.

Phil McKnight seems to rate it for the money. He is a PRS guy and seems quite reliable.

Picture because otherwise it’s Hello Kitty cotton wool

Last edited:
I found the Ironman Mini (it’s actually quite large) to work incredibly well at shaving some decibels off. Going past half way in attenuation I found my amps lost some of their character and dynamics so I stick to my Helix if I need it quieter. The Ironman is also 8 ohms only if that factors in.

I have the brugera. For $99 new it worked great for a 100w marshall.

For lower wattage amp, that has an effects loop, it's worth checking out the JHS little black amp box. These suggestions based on assumption you'd rather spend less than more.

Well I can categorically state that the PS1 is a success!

OK so I have only one point of reference, but the reviews that say it causes tone suck aren’t correct for me. I had the master on 8 and the dial on 50%. What a tone.

Clean channel - Guitar volume on 4/5 clean, push it to 6/7 and it starts to break up. Full spectrum of tonal delights.

Lead channel - Mother of all things causing aural nirvana! Even though the speaker is moving large amounts of air, the tubes are working beautifully and making me a happy guy.

Add some Klon (klone) to the mix and ooft!

I’m looking forward to our next band rehearsal.

Thanks everyone for your input. You have truly given me a lot to think about in terms of attenuators. I almost pulled the trigger and bought a Rivera, found a great deal on Reverb, but hesitated for a couple of hours and then it was gone. After that, my ADHD jumped in and now I might buy more amps and just wait until my boys are a little older and need fewer naps during the day to fully use them. The big downside to that is that I will probably plug in about twice a month for the next year or two. The upside will be that I will have another amp or two. Are my priorities messed up or finally sorted?

Had a jam with a couple of boys from the band.

It was great getting a fuller tone from the amp, without anyone having blood coming out of the aural canal!;)

Thanks everyone for your input. You have truly given me a lot to think about in terms of attenuators. I almost pulled the trigger and bought a Rivera, found a great deal on Reverb, but hesitated for a couple of hours and then it was gone. After that, my ADHD jumped in and now I might buy more amps and just wait until my boys are a little older and need fewer naps during the day to fully use them. The big downside to that is that I will probably plug in about twice a month for the next year or two. The upside will be that I will have another amp or two. Are my priorities messed up or finally sorted?

You're sorted!

Plus, you can always get a headphone interface, like the Mesa Cab Clones or the UA OX, at some point.

I know a lot of people on here use attenuators. I am looking into getting one, and while I know most of you use the Ox Box, I can’t swing that kind of bank. Does anyone have any recommendations for other attenuators that would be in a cheaper range and work for amplifiers primarily 30 watts and down? I am looking to use it with an HXDA 30, Archon 25, or Custom 20 amp. I have looked at the Dr. Z Z break-lite, and Tone King Ironman II mini but don’t know anything about them any help is appreciated.
Thank you!
I use and recommend Two notes torpedo

:eek::eek::eek: I can't believe you posted this...

When I read this posted today at work, I started singing "15 miles, on the Erie Canal" and the lady in the office next to me busts out laughing. She said "I haven't heard that song since I was a kid." I said "neither have I. We sang it in music class in like 2nd grade."

We sang it in elementary school, too!

And honest, I hadn't heard it since I was a kid, but something about the word, 'canal' triggered the memory. Either that, or it's ESP. :cool:

We sang it in elementary school, too!

And honest, I hadn't heard it since I was a kid, but something about the word, 'canal' triggered the memory. Either that, or it's ESP. :cool:
Totally serious, I laughed out loud when I read your post. We sang that in grade school music class. And I don't believe I've heard it in 50 years either. OMG!!!!

Thank you!
I picked up a jet city for cheap a few years back
100 watt and works very well. Looks like a white PS1. Attenuator is the only way to keep the power amp in the picture. In my room I use a JHS little black amp box in addition to the attenuator and it's whisper quiet. I love this setup, keeps the preamps saturated reguardless of volume

Back