Attenuator ?

Nice amps. What's the tonal difference between the two?

I was going to suggest the Ironman II. It's the best attenuator I've owned (Bad Cat Unleash 2, Dr Z Airbrake, Dr Z Brake Lite, THD Hotplate, Marshall Power Brake, and a couple of the cheapo Recycled Sound models). I haven't used the 100 watt Ironman, so I can't vouch for it.

I've also heard several Webers and thought they sounded OK for the $$$.
More headroom in the 100 watt version , the 100 watt doesn’t have the boost function or the tremolo function like the 50 watt. Both are great amps . I’m a huge Richie kotzen fan and had to buy it.

More headroom in the 100 watt version , the 100 watt doesn’t have the boost function or the tremolo function like the 50 watt. Both are great amps . I’m a huge Richie kotzen fan and had to buy it.

Very cool. I currently have two 100 watt amps, but one is modded down to about 25 watts, and the other doesn't get played often. Too much power for what I need. I tend to live in the ~30 watt zone, give or take, and use a couple different attenuators to reign things in. I've also sworn off moving another 100 watt amp to a gig. :)

The 50 water looks and sounds awesome. Enjoy!

If you do recording, I'd consider saving a while and going back to that UA Ox Box. It's an amazing device, so much more than just an attenuator. I know that's easy for me to say, but I don't think you'd regret it. I bought one just knowing I was going to check it out and return it. Still here, and it ain't leaving! If you keep a close watch on Reverb, they've sold as low as $750 in great condition.

I will add, though, that if all you're ever going to do it put it between the amp and cab... nothing else... then many of the suggestions here will get you there for a lot less money.

You've got some really nice amps there, btw!

I have been using the SPL Reducer for a while with my Carvin Legacy head (which is VERY loud and has no master volume) and it works very, very well. No external power source (like my old Bad Cat did) and ohmage selection . Bodie

Reducer_front-705x350.png

Reducer_R-767x380.png

I have a “Speaker Soak” from Carl’s Custom guitars. It works fine on my Marshall DSL 40. Found it on Reverb.com

i had only experience with a thd hotplate but here is my 2 cents...

If you're only looking for a bedroom volume level... there's the volume pot.
If you only buy an attenuator for that, i think you will be disappointed.
there is no way to reproduce the big sound of a crancked up amp at low volumes.
it's not a matter of amp, it's a matter of loudspeakers and how they react to the amount of signal level they receive.

I would rock a Weber Mass or Mini Mass based on my wattage needs. Their treble boost option is clutch. Andy demonstrates it in the video around 3m16s.

Back