At What Point

I did when I used to play Marshalls, particularly JCM 900 and a DSL. I put so many pedals in front of them and in the FX loop to make them sound half-way decent that my tone sounded like pure crap. Then I finally got a Dual Rectifier and now I only have two pedals that are on all the time: my MXR ZW-44 overdrive and Decimator.

For me, I don’t feel there is ever a point. Even digital and modeling processors benefit from a tube power section.

I’m not bagging on SS amps, I like some of them... but I wouldn’t say it doesn’t matter or that they’re interchangeable. They should be an aesthetic choice.

Pedals push a tube amp differently from solid state. It always makes a difference.

Whether you prefer one or the other is, of course, your call.

Pedals push a tube amp differently from solid state. It always makes a difference.

Completely agree, my entire pedal board is made up based on a tube amp, and it sounds guff with a solid sate, that said my solid state has loads of built in effects so I never feel the need to use any pedals.

I'll agree and go a step further. Most times even the way we USE the pedals is different with tubes vs. solid state. I know I don't speak for everyone, but most guys who use pedals with tube amps do push the tube amp with the pedals. Many times, there is no OD at all used in the pedal, just level boost to push the tubes. Whereas, most guys using pedals with SS are using the gain from the pedal as part of their tone, and not necessarily pushing the front end of a the SS preamp. I'm not saying that pushing SS never works, because it depends on what you're pushing and it can work well with some of them. Just saying it's most common to push a tube amp even if you use pedal gain, but not so much to push an SS amp.

Blasting V1 with a boost or OD is a time honored tradition and works (by "works," I mean very simply IMPROVES THE TONE) of almost every tube amp I've tried it with. Slamming the front end of a SS amp is hit or miss and often disaster. Even when I'm using an OD or boost for a solo pedal, I always have another boost of some time on as an "always on" V1 pusher. " Not always slam. In fact not necessarily often slam, but always at least "push" V1 in my amps. That requires caution with some amps. My Mark V channel 3 sounds better, but can get the squeelies if you hit it much at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've rarely ever use a pedal. Guitar, cable, amp. So for me, I can feel a difference as much as hear it. Never tried a modeling amp. Looks scary...

I’d like to thank input from all you guys. It’s helped me find some better tones from my valve amp.

All the HK ukes are sounding sweet through it.

And soon I’m gonna add some pedals, courtesy of some helpful hints you have given me.

Thanks gents.

Back