At their peak.....

I don't care for the stuff Springsteen has done in the last 30 years, but the music he made during the first 10 years of his career is legendary. i gotta go with Bruce.

Here's one for you. Santana v. Journey, GO!

^^^^ I have to admit that back in the day, I did not really care for Journey's music. It offended my punk rock sensibilities. LOL But I've grown to appreciate them now. While Santana has been hugely influential, especially for musicians, Journey was a cultural phenomenon. I have to go with Journey on this one as well.

If you think Metallica was bigger than U2, and Mellencamp bigger than Bruce, then you must have just received a new guitar from the factory. 'cause you're high on fumes.

^^^^ I have to admit that back in the day, I did not really care for Journey's music. It offended my punk rock sensibilities. LOL But I've grown to appreciate them now. While Santana has been hugely influential, especially for musicians, Journey was a cultural phenomenon. I have to go with Journey on this one as well.
Yea, I have to go this way too. I LOVE Carlos, but I think the nudge goes to Journey. They were HUGE back in the day (when I thought they were pussies). I've grown to like them a lot as I've matured.

True, but Cheech wasn't in Caddyshack either. So Bill Murray is bigger than Cheech and he likes Journey.

I'm taller than Cheech, too, but he knows Pee Wee Herman, and I only play Pee Wee Herman at home.

For the record (actually, for the 8-track when it all started), I'd vote Journey, too. Santana is a legend, he's got an iconic tone, he's recorded some of the beat guitar work every, and Neal Schon got his start in Santana, but Journey in the early- to mid-80s was an unstoppable force.

Gotta go with Journey on this one...Santana is a bigger influence and my listening preference, but Journey was definitely the bigger act.

The Boss beats Mellonhead but like the others mentioned, I can listen to Cougar and it's a little more fun.

Santana vs Journey? Santana is much more influential and more appreciated here in the Bay Area, especially here in SF. By the time the world was falling in love with "Who's crying now" they (Journey) were almost reviled here in their own home turf for being so Pop & sappy. As far as sales number$, Journey, as far as impact on the musical world, Santana.

gah, if only saw this thread earlier....time to play catch up...However I gotta say that for much of this many of us are pretty much going by video we've probably seen via youtube (i.e. Santana Abraxis era or the first 10 years of Springsteen). Going from there though, since I didn't get to see Motley until 1998 (which was probably the loudest show I've ever attended) I have to gauge the era discussed via youtube videos, as I'm sure others probably have as well. Same goes for Pearl Jam since I had not seen them before 1996 live. That being said, I love both bands but as far as musicianship, songcraft, and live performance, Pearl Jam has always had Motley beat.

U2 or Metallica - I still like Metallica and they put on a heck of a show, always have...but so have U2. Though now I may find U2 to be annoying, one can't deny how incredible their live shows are, uplifting to the point of a religious experience for people and the band seem to be genuinely enjoying themselves.

I thought about this on the same lines as the Song game. Here goes nothing:

Someone lists a band (and this is the important part) from past/present and At Their Peak, who was bigger? For example, is/was Motley Crue bigger/better than Pearl Jam? Or was The Who bigger/better than Nirvana? The winner moves on, the next contender comes in. Remember, it isn't now - at their peak. Might help if we list the year we're talking about. Or the album name (cannot use greatest hits albums)

I'll start: Motley Crue (1986) bigger/better than Pearl Jam (1992)? I think Motley Crue was better.

This is too easy! When you throw grunge bands in, they always lose! (I don't count Alice in Chains and Sound Garden as grunge). Captain and Tennelle beat Pearl Jam or Nirvana! HAHAHAH

Someone else care to setup a battle? Lets get it on...

Aerosmith or AC/DC?
This is a tough one because I feel both bands hit it big early, and sucked a$$ later. Aerosmith, post reunion was poppy, at best. I prefer their 70s stuff. Some really iconic songs early in their career. As for AC/DC, I've loved these guys for 40 years. However, having listened to most of their catalog recently, their best stuff was the Bon Scott era. Brian's a great singer, and I love Back In Black, For Those About To Rock, and even Flick Of The Switch, but everything after that is weaker than the early days. The innuendo of their early albums is off the charts. I've seen both bands multiple times, and they both bring it. I'm going to have to go with AC/DC because on a sh!tty day they make me smile more than Aerosmith does. Love 'em both though.

Yep, two iconic hard rock bands, both with major impact songs in their era. I gotta agree AC/DC wins, although I like Joe Perry's playing a little better, AC/DC's songs and guitar riffs are uber classics and all around more fun.

Back