At their peak.....

I'll play along.

U2 and Metallica: Totally different bands stylistically but both have a huge appeal globally.

I am a huge fan of both bands. I own their entire catalogs and have seen both live numerous times. That being said, for me it is Metallica. They were real game changers, and MOP is a metal masterpiece.

Saw them one time and he was terrible, bad enough I left the show.

I vote PJ by a long shot.
Yep, been there. I've seen them a few times dating back to the 80s. Went to see their final tour purely because Alice Cooper was opening. Coop was awesome! Listened to first three Crue songs and left. Gotta be embarassing to get your ass kicked by a 65 year old man every night on your farewell tour.

I'll play along.

U2 and Metallica: Totally different bands stylistically but both have a huge appeal globally.

I am a huge fan of both bands. I own their entire catalogs and have seen both live numerous times. That being said, for me it is Metallica. They were real game changers, and MOP is a metal masterpiece.
Good one. I'd fall on the Metalicca side from a personal preference. For the purposes of this thread, I think I'd say U2. Close to a toss up though.

You guys need to read The Dirt.

We're comparing 1986 Motley Crue NOT 2016 Motley Crue, BTW. Huge difference. :D

Annnnnnnd Metallica by a landslide.

You guys need to read The Dirt.

We're comparing 1986 Motley Crue NOT 2016 Motley Crue, BTW. Huge difference. :D

Annnnnnnd Metallica by a landslide.
It's on my bookshelf, along with a couple hundred other books I need to get to! Agreed though. Huge difference.

Metallica '86? Cliff Burton died in '86. With every album, Metallica just got better - while Bono went off the deep end. That said, Joshua Tree was outstanding, still in my personal top 10, but so is the Black album from Metallica. I gotta go with the 'tallica boys tho.

U2 vs Metallica?!!!
Not even close, on a popularity level U2 is bigger but from a guitarist & musical standpoint I can't even say both bands in the same sentence.
Metallica & Kirk Hammett- Hard rockin dudes, a little too much wah wah on the solos, but solid players all around.
U2 & the edge - Composed more music that reached more people with great songwriting, "the edge" is a corny name and pretentious, without an echoplex he'd be lost.

Metallica wins.

Shout At The Devil is a perfect album though. I feel 13 again every time I hear "In the beginning ..."
Agreed. I was super excited that the Crue was playing this album in it's entirety on the tour I saw(10 years ago?)...was the most painful thing I've endured- top 10 for sure.

That's really not why I cast my vote for PJ though...I just think they're a more talented group of individuals.

Hmmm...U2 vs. Metallica.... since no years listed, I'll judge on entire careers. I feel like Metallica is one of those bands that shouldn't evolve a whole lot. Only because the result of the evolution isn't great. Take AC/DC, Slayer for instance. Pretty much stick to their thing and it's good. U2 did a better job in that department IMO. There's more U2 songs from later in their career that I like. Next I'll go with longevity in the live performance. Saw Metallica in '04 or '05 and they sounded old. Not terrible, just old. Saw U2 in 2011ish and they sounded awesome. In terms of actual guitar playing, I love some bad ass riffs but at the same time, I almost enjoy the craft of composition and creating atmosphere and soundscapes with guitar more. I think it's something that isn't taught or learned so much as instinct. Same can be said about complicated riffs to some extent. But you can woodshed technique stuff more easily I think. Take away my metal card, I think I gotta go U2 here.

Hmmm...U2 vs. Metallica.... since no years listed, I'll judge on entire careers. I feel like Metallica is one of those bands that shouldn't evolve a whole lot. Only because the result of the evolution isn't great. Take AC/DC, Slayer for instance. Pretty much stick to their thing and it's good. U2 did a better job in that department IMO. There's more U2 songs from later in their career that I like. Next I'll go with longevity in the live performance. Saw Metallica in '04 or '05 and they sounded old. Not terrible, just old. Saw U2 in 2011ish and they sounded awesome. In terms of actual guitar playing, I love some bad ass riffs but at the same time, I almost enjoy the craft of composition and creating atmosphere and soundscapes with guitar more. I think it's something that isn't taught or learned so much as instinct. Same can be said about complicated riffs to some extent. But you can woodshed technique stuff more easily I think. Take away my metal card, I think I gotta go U2 here.

Wholeheartedly agree!

I'm not a huge fan of any of these bands but I see it this way.

PJ has more staying power and has more respect from the world at large. MC was fun in '83, but by the time '86 rolled around they had become incoherent. By the time Dr. Feelgood came out, they had just become lazy IMHO. PJ for the win.

Metallica v. U2 is a bit tougher choice. Both bands forged a new path and were very influential, but U2 is a house hold name. I would say for the sheer impact, I have to give it to U2. My wife knows who Bono and the Edge are, she doesn't have a clue who Hetfield and Hammet are. I would suspect this holds true for a lot of other people as well. U2 for the win.

While I personally find John Cougar Summercamp more enjoyable to listen to... Bruce by a large margin.

Back