At their peak.....

Robert Carr

Why can't I take my guitar everywhere??
I thought about this on the same lines as the Song game. Here goes nothing:

Someone lists a band (and this is the important part) from past/present and At Their Peak, who was bigger? For example, is/was Motley Crue bigger/better than Pearl Jam? Or was The Who bigger/better than Nirvana? The winner moves on, the next contender comes in. Remember, it isn't now - at their peak. Might help if we list the year we're talking about. Or the album name (cannot use greatest hits albums)

I'll start: Motley Crue (1986) bigger/better than Pearl Jam (1992)? I think Motley Crue was better.

So, is there a clear winner here? I would say '86 Crue was probably bigger than '92 PJ. Although, current day, PJ would be bigger....IMHO. All things considered from a catalog standpoint, I'd listen to PJ (but I like the Crue too).

Not a clear winner, could be tho. All tournament style and stuff. Who's next?

Last edited:
What do you judge on? Album sales? Concert attendance? Both? Gonna be tough to make the call.

Hmmm.... I think this could be a fun thing:) as long as we keep it "above the belt" in our responses, but how do we move on to the next matchup? and how is the winner determined? ........a panel of judges?o_O

As for MC vs PJ:
Strengths: -the Crue was bigger, more of a household name, "Dr Feel Good" is the funkiest hair band riff known, I think stripper clubs still use "Girls, girls, girls" to this day, and it's all around fun stuff.
-the Jam made more complex and interesting music, cutting edge(at the time) with old school roots, and folks took them more seriously.
Weaknesses: -MC Irritating lead vocal tone, semi corny.
-PJ irritating lead vocal tone, semi brooding.

The one thing that struck me was that these are 2 acts that I find it hard to go back and listen to anymore, maybe the over play during their peak periods, I don't know.
......but I say Motley Crue. (If anything they had a better band name):D

LOL..Agreed. My thought was someone says, OK.. Yea Crue in '86 was good, but how about Kiss in '78 or Dave Matthews Band in '92? Its a new game, all the rules aren't laid out yet, or even thought of. Just a fun way of trying to compare bands in their own time period for grins and giggles.

Pearl Jam had more mass, what with it being a five member band compared to Crue's four guys. If we include The Nasty Habit's for Crue and the period of time Mike McCready put on all that weight... They might come out even.

Pearl Jam had more mass, what with it being a five member band compared to Crue's four guys. If we include The Nasty Habit's for Crue and the period of time Mike McCready put on all that weight... They might come out even.
LOL!

On a serious note, I much prefer Pearl Jam to Crue. My vote goes to PJ.

For pure rock riffage, The Crue comes out on top, and there is something gutsy about a 3-4 piece band. Pearl Jam IMO are more serious about songcrafting and it shows in their staying power.

What do you judge on? Album sales? Concert attendance? Both? Gonna be tough to make the call.

Anything. Just state the reason.

So hard to choose since the metric is completely undefined.

I'll choose most unusual letterage..

Mötley Crüe would seem to have the advantage unless you write it Pęärł Jåm.

I really gotta agree with this. I like their albums, but live he sounds like the teacher from Charlie Brown.
Saw them one time and he was terrible, bad enough I left the show.

I vote PJ by a long shot.

Back