Artist V Pickups

jeffgoobs

I posted a few questions about the Artist V pickups in the 85/15, 57/08. 59/09 thread, but I'm not sure it's the best place for it, seeing as the question involves a pickup not listed in the thread title.

So I'm going to try this again.

I'm seeking opinions on the Artist V pickups. I've searched the forum, and can only find a few references to them from a few specific people. I'm potentially putting these in a '94 CE24.

I'd be so appreciative if anyone... ANYBODY who has used the Artist V pickups could do me an enormous favor and describe them to me, and how you think they compare to the 57/08s and the 59/09s.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

I had them in an Artist V, not a CE, so take what I have with the appropriate grain of salt.

First, they're among my favorite pickups, clear, a bit brighter than the 57/08s and not as hot as 59/09s. The ones on the guitar I had weren't too unlike the current 58/15s in clarity, though they're different.

That's all I got, except...I have a little bluesy number I cobbled together a few years ago for giggles to show off the tone of the guitar. I'm thinking it was done on the neck pickup. Decide for yourself if you like the tone. It was probably recorded with my former Mesa Mark V that I also no longer have, though that's debatable because...years have passed, I don't recall, and that amp was replaced by a PRS HX/DA. I know. Too many issues...

Please excuse my execrable playing.

https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/morganatic-blues

Your next question will be, "Why don't you still have the guitar?"

Answer: "Because I shot the wad on a Private Stock and needed to sell it to make that happen." I loved the Artist V, it was my best Core PRS ever, rivaled only by the new McCarty.

Last edited:
Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to reply; that was extremely helpful, and exactly the type of info I'm seeking.

That actually just sealed the deal for what I've decided to do: I'm going to put an Artist V in the bridge and an uncovered 57/08 in the neck.

I can't wait! I think that pickup combo will sound really cool on an old CE.

Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to reply; that was extremely helpful, and exactly the type of info I'm seeking.

That actually just sealed the deal for what I've decided to do: I'm going to put an Artist V in the bridge and an uncovered 57/08 in the neck.

I can't wait! I think that pickup combo will sound really cool on an old CE.

Glad it helped. I think your plan will work great.

Back