Artist V or Modern Eagle Quartro?

Mixman

I am jonesing for both of these but can only get one. I see a lot more Modern Eagles used than Artist V's. Which one do you prefer and why?

I think 53/10s are among the best PRS pups ever so I'd gravitate to the MEQ based on that alone.

I think 53/10s are among the best PRS pups ever so I'd gravitate to the MEQ based on that alone.
Wholeheartedly agree, with the minor exception being that I think the 53/10s are not only the best PRS pickups, but among the best humbuckers I've ever heard, period. I've never played or even heard an Artist V however.

I had an MEQ and I might be the lone person who did not like the 53/10's. I found them underpowered and lacked sizzle, but I like more gain than a typical MEQ owner I think. I should have swapped the pups before selling it off because the rest of the guitar rocked.

I had an MEQ and I might be the lone person who did not like the 53/10's. I found them underpowered and lacked sizzle, but I like more gain than a typical MEQ owner I think. I should have swapped the pups before selling it off because the rest of the guitar rocked.
That's entirely possible, as I lean toward a true PAF/vintage tonality, and rely on turning up my amp or using a boost pedal of some variety when I want more push. Sweet, articulate, harmonically rich cleans are what really float my boat.

That's entirely possible, as I lean toward a true PAF/vintage tonality, and rely on turning up my amp or using a boost pedal of some variety when I want more push. Sweet, articulate, harmonically rich cleans are what really float my boat.

And sweet, articulate, harmonically rich cleans are exactly what you would get with a modern eagle...or any PRS with a full rosewood neck! They really shine at clean or moderately overdriven tones.

Hopefully, it's not only for the pickups I would choose an MEQ over the Artist V. I am more of a metalhead, albeit an older one, than a blues or rock player, so most of the PRS pickups are a little underpowered for me. The 59/09 are borderline and the Metal Pickups are just about right. I suspect the 53/10's will be a little low output for me and I would probably end up changing them anyway.

Hopefully, it's not only for the pickups I would choose an MEQ over the Artist V. I am more of a metalhead, albeit an older one, than a blues or rock player, so most of the PRS pickups are a little underpowered for me. The 59/09 are borderline and the Metal Pickups are just about right. I suspect the 53/10's will be a little low output for me and I would probably end up changing them anyway.

Hmm....is there any way you can try them, or one similar? My single cut with a rosewood neck sounds great, but is not my first choice when I play punk/hard rock/metal stuff. I find the expanded bottom and top range you get from a rosewood neck sounds huge and warm clean, but can get muddy and out of control with high gain. My old McRosie was like that as well.

Well I found a nice MEQ. It it is inbound now. Artist V's are hard to find. Not sure beyond looks what the Artist V offers over a regular CU22?

DSC_8467.jpg

Well I found a nice MEQ. It it is inbound now. Artist V's are hard to find. Not sure beyond looks what the Artist V offers over a regular CU22?

Artist top, ebony fretboard, different pickups, different switching.

I have both and they are excellent guitars. If one absolutely had to go it would be the ME.

Artist top, ebony fretboard, different pickups, different switching.

And a bit fancier with the purfling and all. I am not sure about the pickups, but I THINK they are a slightly different take on the 57/08 and similar. It DOES seem to have a bit more "bite" but that may be at least partly due to the ebony board.

Maybe if I find a nice Artist V I'll try and get one of those too. They are just a lot harder to find. I have not like most of the Artists I have seen thus far. Hopefully more will come up.

DSC_8467.jpg
Great looking MEQ !

I love the Artist V; the differences between an A-V and CU22 are the pickups, an ebony fingerboard, the African ribbon mahogany on the back (lighter weight), and of course the fancier trim. The Artist V pickups are pretty special.

Thanks about the MEQ. I wanted something a little different and have never seen one in a Solana Burst. I see what i can do as far as getting an Artist V. I have seen one in Eriza Verde but I am not so sure I can get used to that color.

Honestly, the ArtistV just kicks a$$. IMHO, the best guitar PRS has ever made, bar none.
... and it is unbelievably gorgeous "in the flesh".
I have several PS and limited editions, but if I could only have one PRS, that would be it.
Just my opinion, I sure yours and everyone else's mileage will vary.
Regardless, can't really go wrong with either.
Cheers.

Drop dead "Gore-Juss".

Thanks! Can you believe I walked away from it? I went and tried it out, and the neck relief was way off. I asked if they'd mind adjusting it while I got lunch. Came back and it played beautifully, but I wasn't sure if it duplicated a tone I already had covered, or if it filled a hole. The guy dropped the price twice I think while I was leaving. I ended up going back a couple days later and picking it up. I didn't tell him that the price drop didn't make a difference - I just wanted to make sure I was filling a need.

Back