Artist Package: how to?

gregvds

Hi,

I'd like to know how the artist package works. I mean, it seems all very attractive, but what is the way to do it? Find a shop, and send all the characteristics (neck wood, neck type, hardware style, color and so on), ask for a price, and then they arrange the order with PRS to build the guitar? What are the typical delays if it's the way it works?

Or is it more PRS that builds sometimes PRS guitars with Artist Package, and these are available at certain premium shops? I fear there are no such good PRS shop around me (Belgium, Europe). Am I limited to online shopping? Should I try and order directly from PRS Europe, or USA?

Many thanks again for the help you can offer me.

Greg

You can definitely order to artist package spec online as well as in person.

Ok, so all I have to do is find a shop (online or real), send my wishlist and payment, and wait for PRS to build it?

What about a 408, Artist package, Rosewood pattern thin neck, Obsidian and hybrid hardware?
BTW, what is the usual back color with Obsidian, natural or black/dark green?

Is the Gaboon ebony very dark, or does it still show some hue variations?

Ok, so all I have to do is find a shop (online or real), send my wishlist and payment, and wait for PRS to build it?

What about a 408, Artist package, Rosewood pattern thin neck, Obsidian and hybrid hardware?
Yup.

And: yup.

Sorry, don't know about the other stuff, so not answering -- some other Europeans might have some advice for you.

There's a Facebook group comprising many non-muricans -- PRS Owners Worldwide or something -- might try checking there.

I'm afraid you may be confusing Artist Package for Private Stock. With Artist Package, you are not building a guitar from the ground up. You are selecting a specific PRS guitar, and you get a few extras. A few of such things include a higher grade flamed top, ebony/maple fretboard, maple/rosewood neck. I don't believe they will build you a neck carve that isn't typically available with that instrument. Same with the bridge.

Otherwise, it seems you've got it right. Just find a dealer, pick your guitar and options, and order away! (BUT, it sounds as if your 408 order would work well. The back would be natural select mahogany.)

Kevin

Yes, I got that. Private Stock is offering all the possibilities, while Artist package is a higher end bundle for a model.

I'd like some advice on rosewood neck vs mahogany; tone, playability, finish, stability of both woods in time and also look with that particular color :).

I'm afraid you may be confusing Artist Package for Private Stock. With Artist Package, you are not building a guitar from the ground up. You are selecting a specific PRS guitar, and you get a few extras. A few of such things include a higher grade flamed top, ebony/maple fretboard, maple/rosewood neck. I don't believe they will build you a neck carve that isn't typically available with that instrument. Same with the bridge.

Otherwise, it seems you've got it right. Just find a dealer, pick your guitar and options, and order away! (BUT, it sounds as if your 408 order would work well. The back would be natural select mahogany.)

Kevin
Actually, if you look at the 408 page, and click on "artist package specs", it explicitly allows for a pattern thin neck profile, and the hybrid hardware. The 'select' dealers will order artist package guitars all the time to offer alternate finishes, maple necks, and special cases (our favourite) all the time to keep them in stock, but I think there are just as many behind the scenes orders that never see the light of the internet. I know I'd order another maple neck that way.

Actually, if you look at the 408 page, and click on "artist package specs", it explicitly allows for a pattern thin neck profile, and the hybrid hardware.

Yes, because the 408 is offered standard with pattern thin or pattern. I don't 'THINK' it is possible to get an alternative neck profile through AP that isn't offered on the standard model. Agree. I think his desired 408 configuration would be perfect through AP!!

Kevin

Yes, I got that. Private Stock is offering all the possibilities, while Artist package is a higher end bundle for a model.

I'd like some advice on rosewood neck vs mahogany; tone, playability, finish, stability of both woods in time and also look with that particular color :).

From my perspective, the rosewood neck feels and plays heavenly!! I also don't feel that a rosewood neck could look wrong when matched with virtually any guitar or color! Go for it!

Kevin

The guitar you want is possible, I recommend Brian's Guitars or one of the dealers that posts in the dealer section of the forums. There's a bunch of great ones. If ya go with Brian, tell him I sent ya.

As others said, some dealers order artist package guitars for their inventory but you can certainly spec your own. To spec your own, you have to work with a PRS dealer. Give them the specs you want, they'll give you a price and the dealer will order the guitar from PRS and can get an estimated wait time then. Last year, I ordered an artist package P245 Semi Hollow with a rosewood neck and it was estimated at 16 weeks. I got the guitar after 18 weeks. I think the wait is a little longer now and things can happen. Occasionally, they'll find a problem late in the build and they may have to refinish the guitar or possibly even start over. In the end, you'll get a wonderful guitar.

I think your desired specs sound like a winner.

As far as the back color with Obsidian or the color of the ebony fretboard, look at online dealers for recent artist package guitars and just look at the photos. If you want a particular back color, you can always ask your dealer and they can check if that back color is available with the finish color.

When I picked the color for my P245, I wanted a natural back and the dealer was able to verify that will PRS before I ordered.

quick google search showing natural back on obsidian, but I'd verify with dealer.

Short version: See if you can possibly play a rosewood neck first.

A rosewood neck is a different ride in terms of both tone and attack, compared to mahogany necks. Look for the following:

Rosewood: Low strings and notes have a piano like clarity and more sustain. High strings and notes have a sharp clarity to them, nearly brilliant. The note attack is immediate; very little bloom; it explodes off the fretboard.

Mahogany: It's what we're all used to, and it's warm and wooly and familiar in tone. The note attack blooms and is softer. Can't argue with it - it's pretty wonderful.

Neither is better than the other, just different.

The drawbacks I hear with my rosewood MEQ: the sustain is sometimes almost too much for quick clean fingerpicked passages and strummed chords - all the notes can run together. Then again, the clarity of the individual notes is surprising and I find I have changed the way I play to bring that out. I switch over to a mahogany McCarty and it seems a bit blurry and undefined by comparison. But then I realize mahogany has its advantages too.

As for feel and durability etc, rosewood is lovely and heavy and very hard to shape (PRSH told me that). The battles rage about whether there's any audible difference between Brazilian and East Indian rosewood (I don't know, personally). But there's a noticeable difference between rosewood and mahogany.

=K

AS Vchizzle quoted. Brian at Brian's Guitars is a great shout. I live in the UK so i'm not to far from yourself.
Brian helped me with my W/L. Highly recommended. top guy

I don't think it's even the darkest ebony -- the darkest is African ebony, innit? And as with all woods, it depends on the tree, some will have less variance than others.

Oh. I went to this page:
http://www.wood-database.com/#g
...and they had a "Gabon" listed separately. I got confused. (There's also a "Gaboon Ebony" and an "African Ebony" as well as a bunch of other ebonies listed under 'E'.)

Last edited:
Back