Artist Package currently unavailable?

Jose

Hi guys,

Not sure if this has been discussed but was itching for a new PRS and exploring the options and the website says that the Artist Package option is currently unavailable. Is this a temporary thing or are they done all together with the option? I've seen a few 2020 artist package guitars on dealer websites but I'm assuming these were ordered last year...

Hi guys,

Not sure if this has been discussed but was itching for a new PRS and exploring the options and the website says that the Artist Package option is currently unavailable. Is this a temporary thing or are they done all together with the option? I've seen a few 2020 artist package guitars on dealer websites but I'm assuming these were ordered last year...
I'm thinking they'll be back, at some point. I think the huge back log of orders they already had, and then shutting down for a number of months due to Covid-19 came into play.

Another issue is the availability of artist grade maple tops. I ordered an Artist Package Hollowbody II 594 in February 2019. My dealer called to check on the status recently and told me they don't know when it will be built. That they don't have any artist grade maple tops and don't know when they will get any.

You've been waiting 16 months fo your guitar??? Dang
I ordered a guitar in Aug 2018 - the Experience limited edition SC594SH. I ended up grabbed a (DC, regular) 594SH in the same color from the dealer I ordered from that had been sitting around a while as a substitute for my order. That was in Dec 2019. The guitar I ordered finally arrived at the shop yesterday. Almost 2 years later for a non-10-top, relatively run of the mill order.

So yeah, they are just flat out backed up.

I ordered a guitar in Aug 2018 - the Experience limited edition SC594SH. I ended up grabbed a (DC, regular) 594SH in the same color from the dealer I ordered from that had been sitting around a while as a substitute for my order. That was in Dec 2019. The guitar I ordered finally arrived at the shop yesterday. Almost 2 years later for a non-10-top, relatively run of the mill order.

So yeah, they are just flat out backed up.

This?
DSC_8361.jpg

Another issue is the availability of artist grade maple tops. I ordered an Artist Package Hollowbody II 594 in February 2019. My dealer called to check on the status recently and told me they don't know when it will be built. That they don't have any artist grade maple tops and don't know when they will get any.
I’m in the same boat, same model ordered in April of 2019
I had to go artist package to get the color that I wanted(copperhead burst).
The grade of top isn’t that important to me, I would totally take a 10 top if they could make it with that color.
Maybe they should downgrade some PS tops o_O

Last edited:
I also have the impression that the AP/Special Order guitars get treated like one offs. In other words, there's no regular flow through production. Like, they have to wait until there are a certain number of them that are similar enough to build. I may be way off on that, but based on comments that others have posted during/about their wait times, it has to be close to how it happens.

I had a 2 year wait for my AP 2408. Initially I was told that the wait was due to the solid rosewood neck. Then I also heard that artist grade tops were scarce.

The top grading seems quite variable. I bought a 594 DC 10-top that was already in stock at my dealer and the top piece on that guitar is nicer than both of my artist grade tops. *shrug Don't get me wrong...all three guitars are gorgeous. The top on the "regular" 10-top is simply prettier.

I've said this before, but I'm simply not ordering another PRS. There are too many gorgeous guitars available for purchase immediately for me to go down the ordering route again. If what you want is not available today it will almost certainly pop on Reverb quicker than if you ordered it. The secret is to CONSTANTLY look online and once you see what you want you BETTER jump on it. For example, my 2408 order was with a solid rosewood neck and copperhead burst finish; a rare guitar indeed. I did see ONE on reverb while waiting for my order to arrive. It actually popped up about a month after I ordered mine. Of course, I didn't buy it because I had just ordered mine. The next one I saw with the same specs was the one I ordered and it arrived two years later.

Plus, I like the idea of helping the dealers turn their current inventory. It's helpful to them during these trying times.

I also have the impression that the AP/Special Order guitars get treated like one offs. In other words, there's no regular flow through production. Like, they have to wait until there are a certain number of them that are similar enough to build. I may be way off on that, but based on comments that others have posted during/about their wait times, it has to be close to how it happens.

You are right on, and because they treated kinda like one offs on the production line, they do take longer. Another "busy" time for PRS was around their 20th anniversary; huge backlog, especially once the singlecut came back online. My 20th AP took around 12 months to come in. My Private stock, ordered in 2007, took only 4 months or so.

Wood availability, as mentioned, can also be an issue. In 2008, I believe, you could not order an AP with quilt....as they did not have any AP quality quilt available. The artist package is a big hit, so I am positive it will return once things settle down. The good thing is, there are LOTS of amazing Wood libraries and AP's at dealers right now if you want one. Picking one up is a double win: you get a beautiful new guitar without the long wait, and yoh help out a business in these tough times....

Back