Are your pots and switches TOTALLY silent

mixmkr

I mean...not even a mouse, with a cranked amp or patch? After Deoxit and burning lead free solder to the gods.... it's close. With REALLY ambient patches with a boat load of reverb, just the slightest click or crackle just ruins it all on certain takes or efforts.

I mean...not even a mouse, with a cranked amp or patch? After Deoxit and burning lead free solder to the gods.... it's close. With REALLY ambient patches with a boat load of reverb, just the slightest click or crackle just ruins it all on certain takes or efforts.
It can be annoying when it ain't right 🙃

Mine are dead quiet. I have only had an issue with a very small number of pots that got scratchy. Contact cleaner spray is a temporary solution. It will get scratchy again. I would spray it and see how long it lasts, if it completely cleans it up. If it doesn't completely clean it or it comes back kind of fast, I would change the pot. Or, you can take it out and take it apart and see if it is an issue with the wiper. If it looks good spraying it while you have it apart can be a solution.

I have never had a PRS core pot go bad or get scratchy. It has been a couple of other brands that it happened to me with. If you replace the pot, buy a good one. I would buy either a PRS pot or Bournes. I love the low friction PRS pots. Bournes makes a low friction pot as well.

Dead silent now as well. Had a scratchy volume knob on my RG but nothing that my good old trusted guitar tech could not fix easily. My 2 PRSs knobs could pass as silent ninjas in a skills exam

My rig is dead quiet, too, but if you do happen to have a gremlin creep in, and record a click, pop, crackle or buzz, iZotope RX can remove it like magic.

It takes a few hours to learn how to use the modules, but once you do, you'll be amazed.

My current rig includes a Fractal FM9 and several Humbucker PRSi. Mostly Mogami or Monster instrument cable. The key to a quiet signal path regards my rig is being able to work the input block's noise gate. Typically, a threshold of -55dB, ratio of 3 ms and release time of 100ms. That seems to be the magic formula for my rig, so I've kept it plugged in that way and if needs be in ultra-high gain presets, add in an extra noise gate between amp and cab. The output is all that matters, but it's a win-win, not boring approach at all.

The switches and pots are a build product issue. If they are noisy, I'd simply swap 'em out for higher quality product. Something of this matter might occur on entry level or imports, not so much USA or custom builds.

What model are you playing? I’ve rarely encountered an issue on the CE or core lines. It happens all the time on s2 and SE due to cheaper parts and craftsmanship

A SE model of course...and noise gates are out if the question much of the time....kills sustain. That said the Helix noise gate works well.

I like the taper of my existing pots and the switch has a nice resistance. I'd be all for replacing with the best available if it kept the functions and tapers the same. MannUSA sell what I need? I don't mind new knobs either or routing for new pots, if both us needed.
Thx in advance.
Btw my import Guild, Gretsh, Epi and Squiers didn't have these issues, but admittedly I've switched to some CTS pots for a better taper on a couple. My Amer Fenders and Gibsons and other USA made crackle..but they're much older. I did have a tech put in some CTS pots and total rewire in a Gretcsh and even though audio taper...it turned them into on/off switches. I've just lived with it on that guitar for now.
I have wiring skills but lack picking correct components.

I had to go and check as I've only had my core for a couple of months. The pots and switches are silent. I should go and check my modded SE, but I can't recall hearing anything unwanted while playing it.

Go CTS pots. You’ll have to lightly ream the holes but I say it’s worth it. You likely have cheaper alpha pots. You may need new knobs but the core knobs fit both metric and imperial knobs fine.

A SE model of course...and noise gates are out if the question much of the time....kills sustain. That said the Helix noise gate works well.

I like the taper of my existing pots and the switch has a nice resistance. I'd be all for replacing with the best available if it kept the functions and tapers the same. MannUSA sell what I need? I don't mind new knobs either or routing for new pots, if both us needed.
Thx in advance.
Btw my import Guild, Gretsh, Epi and Squiers didn't have these issues, but admittedly I've switched to some CTS pots for a better taper on a couple. My Amer Fenders and Gibsons and other USA made crackle..but they're much older. I did have a tech put in some CTS pots and total rewire in a Gretcsh and even though audio taper...it turned them into on/off switches. I've just lived with it on that guitar for now.
I have wiring skills but lack picking correct components.
My Santana SE has the issue as well but it's not so bad you'd notice in a live situation and it doesn't seem to affect recording. I bought it online as new but there's been questioning about it's "new" condition as there are all kinds of things to question on it hehe It also has strange pickup selector things going on, so gonna work on it soon.

Besides one other guitar, it's also the only guitar that I've had an issue with but all my 25+ of my other guitar in the guest room were from Sweetwater. So I'd expect perfection from them. My Santana was bought from a different store through Reverb

Wish I could say yes, but no.

From day one the tone pot on my Vela was scratchy and tuner cleaner didn't help. Now there's no change in tone from 10 down to 3 and once past 3 the tone is instant mud.

Also from day one the 3 way blade switch on my SE 24 Standard was scratchy and tuner cleaner didn't help at all.

One day I'll get around to getting some top grade components for both guitars.

Back