Are you guys fretting out on the Silver Sky?

fgeorge097

To make a long story short I was thinking about ordering a G&L guitar with a 7.5" radius and vintage (small) frets. The only thing comparable that I have played is a PRS silver sky, which I got about 2 minutes to have fun with at my dealer. I liked it, but didn't get enough time to really explore the fingerboard.

I am worried that with this fingerboard, I will fret my bends out and legato will be hard. Looking to get some real world input on guys that play with this round fingerboard and small frets.

That said, the PRS felt great. The only reason I am going with the G&L is because I like a slim, narrow neck, with the Silver Sky is not.

Still, I would like some feedback on how this type of fingerboard plays.

Thanks everybody

I can't speak to the G&L, but I can about the Silver Sky. When I bought mine, @BeerBatteredPhish and I both checked it out pretty extensively (in fairness, he had talked about buying it and I was pretty certain I'd have no interest because I'm not really a single coil guy, but there were things he didn't like and I was blown away). I thought we'd passed it back and forth for about 15 minutes - he said later it was closer to an hour.

One of the things we tested extensively was bending. If you didn't see it at the time, there was a ton of Internet hate on the guitar before it was released, one of the main points being the radius and how you wouldn't be able to bend. That, like much of the vitriol, was garbage. I've gotten bends of two full steps w/o fretting out on the factory setup (I don't do that a lot, but I was checking the extremes). That day at the store, we spend a fair bit of time doing things like, "Try bending up here...now down there...now the D string..." That sort of thing. Zero issues.

No issues. Like any guitar, a bad setup can cause that, which may be what some “Let’s see what this wrench does” types might have encountered. I’ve seen nothing of it, though. One of the first things I played on mine was the solo from Another Brick in the Wall, with a few really wide bends in there, and there was zero fret out issues.

Once again, internet hate got it 100% wrong. They’re consistent, if nothing else.

How about legato on those small frets? How is that in comparison to your typical medium jumbo frets?

I too was wary of the '7.25' number on the spec sheet but that was quickly changed when I picked up the guitar.

Theres a lot to be said about PRS manufacturing and tolerances, it really stands out from the rest... so much so that the neck being so straight and flat - it felt easier to play on than the 9.5" american standards...

The radius forces me to adjust my picking. It’s not my favorite, but it’s not the worst thing in the world.

The radius forces me to adjust my picking. It’s not my favorite, but it’s not the worst thing in the world.

My SS radius feels 0% different to my fretting hand from all my larger radius necks, but my picking is missing strings frequently. I’m forcing myself to work through it. Any suggestions?

How about legato on those small frets? How is that in comparison to your typical medium jumbo frets?

I’m not going all EVH with legato (mainly because I’m not that good) but I don’t have any issues with some speedy hammer on/pull off runs. There was a learning curve for sure, but I feel that’s the same with any guitar.

I’ve played some G&L’s, the necks seemed great. Their trems also work real well, even if they’re not easy on the eyes. With a proper set up I’d say the guitar is capable of doing what you want, the main thing would be if it the whole package works for you overall.

If you’re worried about the radius, look for a DC3. That ‘s exactly what I did. You get all the PRS quality with the standard PRS radius. There’s one for sale on eBay and one on reverb. And the maple/maple neck has big spank and quack. Unfortunately, it doesn’t come in midnight rose with a maple board, but I did find one in blue.

If you’re worried about the radius, look for a DC3. That ‘s exactly what I did. You get all the PRS quality with the standard PRS radius. There’s one for sale on eBay and one on reverb. And the maple/maple neck has big spank and quack. Unfortunately, it doesn’t come in midnight rose with a maple board, but I did find one in blue.

Agreed.

No longer have mine either. However, I can tell you, I never had any issue with the radius or doing even as much as two and a half step bends (cause I'm a Gilmour fanboy).

I think it's really all about the set-up and fretwork. As you one would expect, mine was perfectly set-up from the factory. I was terrified the first time I changed my strings and lowered my action a bit. But my fears were totally unfounded.

I had the same concerns at first because of all the negative hype but PRS clearly knew what to do to make it perfect, because that's how they roll!

My advice is...don't let the radius thing keep you from buying one...they really are fantastic guitars!

Last edited:
Back