Are You a Car Guy?

]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

Zombie Zero, DFZ
I am. I got it bad. I was doing okay there for about 10 years but it looks like I am headed back into a car-phase - with a sweet tooth for Italian, British, and German cars.

These days I'm itching for a cool commuter so I don't have to drive my old Rover (which may as well be a farm tractor) up the interstate and back each day. I want a bigger car. A 4-door to be specific. Right now I'm eyeballing a 1994 E500. It was a joint project between Mercedes and Porsche; a true wolf in sheep's clothing. It's getting harder to find them unmolested.

So? Are you a car guy? What has your attention these days?

Hi Hans!
10 years of driving Corvettes cured me of the dreaded car disease. I got over the crazy maintenance of keeping them running. Logging almost 400k miles on 3 Corvettes is enough :) These days, a nice 2004 Lexus LS430 does it for me. Plenty of horsepower (more than my '98 'Vette!) and FAR more comfortable. Plus, maintenance is much easier to deal with. I get a Lexus loaner for every service, if I don't want to wait. I've learned that the service department is worth a lot to me! :) I see almost every super car daily where I live. They look and sound great, but I don't drool over them like I used to. Now, the C7 'Vette has me drooling, but Chevrolet's service center sucks compared to Lexus. I've gotten old and spoiled :)

I think I've been a motor vehicle (not just car) guy my whole life. Motorcycles, cars (Porsche!), racecars, they're all good. Love working on cars. I took a break from racing several years ago because I thought I was spending too much money on it and got into guitars. So much for saving money! I've really been missing it and I'm trying to get back in shape and get back to it. This afternoon I was driving two of my girls across town, I caught myself explaining how to get the best exit speed out of the double apex turn on-ramp as we got on the Interstate.

I find that as I get older, low seating sports cars are a pain in the a$$ (literally). I test drove a Jeep SRT last week. Talk about a wolf in sheep's clothing. And a mere $63,000 (with no discounts permitted. *sarcasm alert* :().

Last edited:
I find that as I get older, low seating sports cars are a pain in the a$$ (literally).
I prefer my cars so low that the hair on my backside is kept at a clean, short length. :biggrin: But I'm with you, Hans, on getting a bigger commuter-mobile, so I pulled a car out of storage to start my new project...an '89 Ford Taurus SHO. One of the first 100 made, took delivery in December of 1988 and put over 200k miles on it. It's been in storage for a LONG time and, unfortunately, it spontaneously started to rust despite going into storage in mint condition. But it runs flawlessly. Big old cars rock.

I dream about having a cool little car to cruise around in, but it's not in the cards for me right now. I'd love to have a German, Italian or Brit car, but I really wish Honda still made the S2000. Sporty AND reliable. hard to beat that.

I'm not, thankfully. If I obsessed about cars like I do about PRS, I'd be living in the car. :laugh:

I used to be into American muscle, but they're such money pits (and horrible for the environment) so I gave it up years ago. I do still like just about any sporty car, though I prefer to appreciate them from afar.

The upcoming BMW i8 is my kind of drool-worthy car these days. 0-60mph in 4.5 seconds and 94 miles per gallon.

I suppose in a way I am... bought an 06 Dodge Magnum SRT8 late last year with the idea of saving my 04 Ford F150 Lightning as a project truck. Just sold the truck this weekend though... to help finance my new guitar habit! Really, after driving the Mag I didn't want to drive the truck any longer. It was just sittin there.

Gotta say that I love the Magnum! That car came about during the Daimler-Chrysler partnership and has some Mercedes technology in it. Drives like a dream with the 50/50 weight distribution. The previous owner chipped it, added a cold air intake and put Flowmasters on it and it probably does 0-60 in a little under 5s now. Not too shabby for a station wagon :biggrin:. Plus I can haul all my stuff! It does eat a ton of gas though :(. I'm hoping to get something a lil more practical for around town stuff... if I can just curtail my guitar GAS.

I like cars, and motorcycles, but I mostly just look. I prefer to spend money on thinks that only cost me once over things that keep costing me money year after year.

If I wasn't so cheap, I'd be trying to get an RS6 Avant into the country.

I am very interested in the auto industry, the business side of it to be specific. The bailouts a few years ago were fascinating. I can see bailing out GM but Chrysler was a big mistake - they were completely different companies even though their products are similar. Also, I love how everything has gotten to be so global yet there are still people out there that think a Honda Element (for example) is a Japanese car while a Chevy Aveo/Sonic is an American car. :laugh:

But as for the cars themselves - they're way to expensive to be any object of obsession. I can barely feed my guitar habit.

I grew up with Lancias and Alfas and had a fast mini and few Alfas myself before I had to take a slightly more sensible approach to life (kids etc).

My better half got me into bikes and before we moved I had a 1982 Suzuki Katana I imported from Japan, man I miss that bike but don't have a death wish with the crazy/suicidal French drivers!

I'm not a "car guy," I don't really know that much about cars and I don't even care about power, I just love the styling of old early-70s American muscle cars. I grew up with the Dukes of Hazzard, so the only car that ever lit my fire was the '69 Dodge Charger. I got really excited, though, when the Dodge Challenger concept was unveiled in 2006, and I waited six years before I was lucky enough to get one. That's what I drive now, a 2012 model in Blackberry Pearl, and I love it. The new Pentastar V6 engine that was introduced in 2011 has 305hp, just enough to be fun to drive without being too expensive or getting me into trouble. Plus it's got just enough room to put two carseats in the back for my little ones.

So I can't say I'm a car guy, but I definitely love my car.

Back