are we thinking that the strat style does not exist

I'm holding out. If it comes to be, I'll be selling my Xotic XSC-1. Best "strat" I've ever played. Confident that a PRS version could unseat it.

They've gone into that territory before, think NF3, DC3, 305, Johnny Hiland, even the 513 is at least stratesque.

I'd expect if PRS do a true asymmetrical double cut 3 single coil guitar with a five way blade, they'll do it as a private stock first, see how that goes

If it's popular, it'll trickle down to custom & maybe even S2 & SE.

it's a big expense to develop & start producing a new guitar style (even if it is a variation on a theme they've done before), so you can expect they won't be throwing money into if if there's any uncertainty about how it will sell.

PRS have learned from mistakes in the past, & tend to do limited runs first when doing something new.
Better that than have hundreds of guitars built no one wants to buy!

Other guitar manufacturers haven't been so savvy & have paid the price for being arrogant.
Maybe if John Mayer wants to do a signature guitar in a budget price range?

I just got home from gigging my EG II with dominos. The bass player, who is a fender guy through and through, raved about the sound. It has ridiculous spank when I get funky (often!), and sings like a bird when I solo. This, and my SE EG, get me the Strat sounds I want.

I just got home from gigging my EG II with dominos. The bass player, who is a fender guy through and through, raved about the sound. It has ridiculous spank when I get funky (often!), and sings like a bird when I solo. This, and my SE EG, get me the Strat sounds I want.
You are not exactly helping my GAS, dammit!

I am still on the hunt for a DC3 (birds, seafoam), and now I want to check out an EG II (with dominoes, apparently).

Gah!

They've gone into that territory before, think NF3, DC3, 305, Johnny Hiland, even the 513 is at least stratesque.

I'd expect if PRS do a true asymmetrical double cut 3 single coil guitar with a five way blade, they'll do it as a private stock first, see how that goes

it's a big expense to develop & start producing a new guitar style (even if it is a variation on a theme they've done before), so you can expect they won't be throwing money into if if there's any uncertainty about how it will sell.

PRS have learned from mistakes in the past, & tend to do limited runs first when doing something new.

Other guitar manufacturers haven't been so savvy & have paid the price for being arrogant.

Great post. Just wish to pass comment on testing the market with a PS model first. The Private Stock range caters to a marginal demographic. Not everyone can afford them. And I assume many players who can afford them prefer not to spend that much money anyway. I cannot think of any SE or S2 model that originally began life as a Private Stock.

If they do bring this guitar to market I think something like the S2 idea in a limited run would be the best move. More affordable. Adding SE and Core models later if the demand is there.

Personally the prospect of a PRS stratty guitar like what JM has does not excite me greatly. I am sure they can make them great but so can Fender. I suspect many might share this view.

Great post. Just wish to pass comment on testing the market with a PS model first. The Private Stock range caters to a marginal demographic. Not everyone can afford them. And I assume many players who can afford them prefer not to spend that much money anyway. I cannot think of any SE or S2 model that originally began life as a Private Stock.

If they do bring this guitar to market I think something like the S2 idea in a limited run would be the best move. More affordable. Adding SE and Core models later if the demand is there.

Personally the prospect of a PRS stratty guitar like what JM has does not excite me greatly. I am sure they can make them great but so can Fender. I suspect many might share this view.
It wouldn't be unheard of. Although for (likely) different reasons, we have had limited runs of S2s, specifically the Reclaimed Limited models. If I remember correctly, the Satin Models were also a limits run at first, although I could be wrong about that. It certainly wouldn't be unprecedented.

As far as interest, if it came in at S2/CE prices (or lower!), I'd definitely be interested. If it was in the Core price range, I probably wouldn't be interested anymore.

To make an all-core-parts PRS Strat killer at a price point that would lure already satisfied customers away from Suhr, Music Man, and G&L but still be profitable for PRS, I just don't know. As a limited production JM signature model with an SE JM companion model, maybe. As a non-signature S2, he'd have to price it at or below EBMM to move product, and it might not be profitable enough to bother. I'll just go play my EG-3 now and thank Paul if I ever meet him for that impulsive phase he had in the early 1990s.

I disagree with all the remarks about them doing it high end first. (Edit: not that I’m saying they won’t, just that I think that would not be the best way to really crack that market). I’d actually think that if they really want to make a run at it, they might even go the opposite direction and go S2 first.

That said, IMHO, they’ve been very close to the formula for success already, but missed one key element. Take the existing DC3 model that you already tooled up. Add “regular” single coils that guys can swap out for their favorites if they want, and with no other changes that model should sell. I’ve heard too many comments at TGP about guys loving the feel and playability (DUH!) but not loving the pickups and/or having searched for years for “their” ultimate strat pickup set and not being able to use them with the DC3/305 etc.

Give me a DC3, pattern regular neck, birds, and regular strat sized/shaped pickups. I’m in! Heck, if I could ever find a DC3 to play and figure out if I liked the stock pickups enough, I might not even need a new model. I’m waiting for my crash test dummy aka enabler aka R&D department Bodia, to play Sergios and advise... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
That said, IMHO, they’ve been very close to the formula for success already, but missed one key element. Take the existing DC3 model that you already tooled up. Add “regular” single coils that guys can swap out for their favorites if they want, and with no other changes that model should sell. I’ve heard too many comments at TGP about guys loving the feel and playability (DUH!) but not loving the pickups and/or having searched for years for “their” ultimate strat pickup set and not being able to use them with the DC3/305 etc.

Give me a DC3, pattern regular neck, birds, and regular strat sized/shaped pickups. I’m in!

This is a very good point. Being able to change pickups is a pretty big deal for Strat cats. I'm not sure I'd love my EG as much without the Rio Grandes I have in it. Although, my inner devil's advocate is now whispering that you could fairly inexpensively make a custom pickguard for a DC3 and then you could probably use whatever pups you want, provided that the pickup rout is either universal or not excessively narrow.

Last edited:
I think I saw Luke Bryans guitarist playing one on the Ellen show yesterday...

I had a 513, but I've found myself more satisfied with the triple single coil tones coming from this here 509... aCk!!! o_O:eek::D

I dig the 509 single coil voicings/tones over the 513... whatever subtle changes they made between the two was sweet. Don't get me wrong, I liked my 513...

22042137_10210217382255018_408413652314939732_o.jpg

Last edited:
I think I saw Luke Bryans guitarist playing one on the Ellen show yesterday...
The black one with the white pick guard was a DC3. The other guy was playing a SAS.
Anyone got any screen grabs? be curious to have a look-see.

So obviously, I'm not sure which guitarist was which. Michael Carter plays a number of PRSi, including a SAS and a CU24. And a 305, I believe.

Kevin Arrowsmith is the other instrumentalist playing fiddle, mandolin, guitar, etc. So I assume it was him playing the DC3.

Michael Carter is a huge 80s metal band guy, not a typical country chicken picker. I like his style, obviously customized for Luke Bryan's stuff.

Back