Are there any PRS guitars that successfully delve into stratocaster territory?

None of the PRSi I had up until recently had split-coil single-coil modes. My Core CU24 has the five-way knob (which for the intermediate positions combines the split coils such that you never get just one), the ZM, Akerfeldt, and HollowBody all have just full-blown Humbucker selections - no splits via push-pull or anything.

The SE-7 I got for Xmas was my first PRSi with push-pull tone for split coils. And man, do I love that sound! Much closer to a strat!

So now I want a bolt-on maple-necked PRS with push-pull for split coils, which should get even closer. Or a 305. But I want a whole bunch of other PRSi, too, so who knows what will be the next one I get...

I totally understand the desire to buy a PRS and be able to get close to other guitar sounds. Since I'm never trying to mimic somebody else's tone, I like what I get without having to play a Tele, Strat, or LP. I like the flexibility of the 513 for getting "stratty" and "LP-ish at the flick of a switch. I like the way my Mira gets "SG-ish" or even a little twangy when I want it to. I don't "need" it to sound exactly like James Burton to get that vibe. I do have a Tele, and it's a monster, but it lives in the case 99% of the time--not because I'm babying it, but because it's not as much fun or as versatile as others.

A humbucker-equipped guitar with series-parallel switches can sound very strat or tele like. I have an SE Singlecut trem model with a Dimarzio Bluesbucker wired in parallel. Wiring the bridg pickup this way turned it into a Les Paul-shaped guitar that twangs like a Fender. Keep in mind, the Dimarzio Bluesbucker is already a specialty pickup, being a psuedo P90 in a humbucker-sized package. But my understanding is running any humbucker in parallel will yield similar results.

A humbucker-equipped guitar with series-parallel switches can sound very strat or tele like. I have an SE Singlecut trem model with a Dimarzio Bluesbucker wired in parallel. Wiring the bridg pickup this way turned it into a Les Paul-shaped guitar that twangs like a Fender. Keep in mind, the Dimarzio Bluesbucker is already a specialty pickup, being a psuedo P90 in a humbucker-sized package. But my understanding is running any humbucker in parallel will yield similar results.

This is a very interesting concept I need to check out.This video explain this in a very good way.Sounds great to me.It starts at 25.15.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went ahead and put in a series/parallel mini switch for the bridge pickup. Wired the neck pickup for parallel as well (non-switched).

10735bde52572ca134e6f2ecc6b1fe110d27051.jpg

shinksma--three words--Brent Mason Signature. Instead of a push-pull it's got two mini-switches to split the humbuckers, but other than that it's pretty much what you're describing, right down to the bolt-on maple neck. (Although I've got a rosewood fingerboard on mine.)

I have a late 70's Strat that I play through a late 70's twin...and love the sound. A couple of years ago I purchased a Swamp Ash Studio...you can split the pickups and get a very good Strat quack good mellow tones in mid position also. The cool thing is you can also leave them humbuckers and get a solid hunbucker sound in all three pickups (mini humbuckers)! My wepon of choice for years has been a USA Jackson with switchable actives because it came close to the Strat sound but had great humbucker sounds...but i must say thatt he PRS blows away the Jackson for those Strat like sounds...I would think you may be able to find a used studio for that price mark....

I have a late 70's Strat that I play through a late 70's twin...and love the sound. A couple of years ago I purchased a Swamp Ash Studio...you can split the pickups and get a very good Strat quack good mellow tones in mid position also. The cool thing is you can also leave them humbuckers and get a solid hunbucker sound in all three pickups (mini humbuckers)! My wepon of choice for years has been a USA Jackson with switchable actives because it came close to the Strat sound but had great humbucker sounds...but i must say thatt he PRS blows away the Jackson for those Strat like sounds...I would think you may be able to find a used studio for that price mark....

Funny thing about the Studio model is that people seem to be unaware that in addition to the 5-way blade switch, the the full size humbucker in the bridge is wired to a push/pull pot so it can be cut in half. Even the sales guy who sold it to me who was performing a demo. I told him it had a push/pull and he said, "It does?". hahaha

I have had many "strat" type guitars and recently added a 25th 305 and a violinburst 305 to my "strats" - Am Deluxe strat, G&L legacy and Comanche, MM AL SSS. After reducing the factory pickup height as low as can be profiled, the 305 sounds bright, yet retains the PRS creamy vibe, especially in positions 2 and 4. Out of my "strats," I play the 25th and 305 the most and I have given my Am deluxe strat to my son because I rarely ever played it...even though it if my favorite fender neck (compound radius). It is my last remaining guitar that does not have a "naked neck."

If you want strat tones but want PRS QC, styling and superior craftsmanship, the 305 is that rare PRS model that has SSS and the "fender" scale length of 25 1/2" (if memory serves, the 513 and swamp ash special are 25" or 25 1/4" scale length). Clearly it was not well enough received to continue production, but the limited run seems to have impacted the resale market, now that factory new or NOS supply has subsided.

Perhaps this will catalyze PRS to initiate another 305 run?

I love what the Brent Mason Signature model can do. I think it may be the closest I've heard.

Sorry, I don't mean to be contrarian. I just never get this. If you want a Strat sound, then buy a Strat. Lots of options, lots of price points.
PRS have their own sound. To my ears, far superior to any other guitar.
Why try to pound a square peg into a round hole ... it will never work.

The answer to this is actually incredibly simple. Because NO other guitar plays and feels like a PRS! So why wouldn't a guy who loves the tone of a strat, RATHER have a PRS that sounded that way? Makes more than perfect sense to me, as I totally fall into this category. I have two very nice strats and almost never play one (50th Anniversary American Deluxe) and only play the other (new MIJ Tokai which is better than the Fender!) once a week or so because as good as it is, it is NOT a PRS!

So, no square pegs or holes here. Not sure why it would surprise anyone who owns PRS guitars, that someone would want a Strat, or Les Paul, or 335 or whatever other iconic tone, but in a PRS. Heck nothing would make me happier than having a PRS that sounded just like a GREAT Les Paul, one that sounded like a great Strat, one that sounded like a great 335... and then all the PRS ones that I have now with THEIR tones. I'd be in tone heaven. But I won't spend LP money for a Gibson just to get that tone, and give up the feel and playability of a PRS. Same reason I won't buy a Suhr or Anderson or other high end strat. It will feel better than a fender, but will feel like a strat, NOT a PRS! I'm not a huge acoustic guy, but feel the same about Taylors. No Gibson or Martin FEELS like a Taylor, so I'm not interested in them.

Nothing feels like a PRS. Only natural to want ALL your tones coming from something that feels like PRS does. IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back