Are the core line customs worth the money?

Spiralizer

Sorry if this discussion has already happened. Just curious what owners or previous owners of CU22/CU24's think about the value of those guitars.

I saw one on sweetwater that had my tongue hanging out. But $$$$ is pretty steep.

So what do you think...have you gotten your money's worth out of your CU22/CU24?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hell YES....several times over.
When you consider you get...they are actually quite a bargain...especially the piezo versions.

Yep no question in my mind. The core models are pricey, but once you get one in your hands and see the amazing quality and attention to detail that are put into them you understand why they cost what they do.

So what do you think...have you gotten your money's worth out of your CU22/CU24?

Without question, and the party's just getting started. I went for an AP CU24 recently, despite it coming in a bit over my original budget. Immediate love-fest! I couldn't imagine life without it. (My quest began with some skepticism, too, as I arrived here a 594 devotee... along the way someone suggested I demo a Custom, and my first reaction was "Naw, it can't be that easy. Can it?" Yup. Some of the best advice I've ever gotten.)

In the process, I demo-ed most of the wall at my local dealer, primarily to evaluate available neck carves at that scale length. Regardless of config or price point, they all play and sound fantastic, and deliver killer tonal versatility. There's likely a piezo-equipped 22 in my PRS future.

Granted, concepts of value may vary based on the individual, however I feel pretty safe in calling this one a no-brainer. :cool:

As experienced owners, What do you guys think about the five way switch? I don't understand why they have less options of bridge/neck coil and tapped/humbucker than the S2's, but maybe its settings I'll never use and am overthinking it....

You realize you’re trying to rationalize an emotional decision that can’t be rationalized, right?

Either the guitar works for you, or it doesn’t. If it does, it’s worth its weight in gold, and if not, it’s not worth a damn thing.

As experienced owners, What do you guys think about the five way switch? I don't understand why they have less options of bridge/neck coil and tapped/humbucker than the S2's, but maybe its settings I'll never use and am overthinking it....

If you want more options, they make models with more options. Look at the CU24-08, there’s eight options right there; 408, another eight options; the 509, nine options; the 594, four blendable knobs, 3 way and coil split options; the DGT, 3-way, blend and coil splits; the McCarty, 3 way toggle, two knobs, coil splits etc. So, if you don’t like blade, they make models with toggles and coil splits. they make models with three toggles.

Hell, if you go Private Stock, you can put 100 toggles and switches on the damn thing. Look at the John Mayer model. Lots of options.

If five sounds are enough, there you are. Blade switch. It’s your call.

What’s the problem?

Last edited:

The five way switch allows you to mix coils in a different way than the standard three way and push pull switch. If you're looking for the best of both worlds you might want to look at the custom 24-08.

As experienced owners, What do you guys think about the five way switch?

Honestly I was a bit unsure of what to expect in advance, as primarily a Strat player most of my life I was always accustomed to Fender-style switching. It kinda sounds weird reading the PRS description of the pickup positions on paper (to me, anyway), but they work tonally and I think the logic is demonstrable when you cycle through.

Even if you find you dislike the stock switching, that's an easy fix.

Honestly I was a bit unsure of what to expect in advance, as primarily a Strat player most of my life I was always accustomed to Fender-style switching. It kinda sounds weird reading the PRS description of the pickup positions on paper (to me, anyway), but they work tonally and I think the logic is demonstrable when you cycle through.

Even if you find you dislike the stock switching, that's an easy fix.

I only own an American Strat currently and have been trying to decide which PRS to pick up for the past few days after getting a chance to play an S2 and loved it, but this helps... thanks!

Everyone on this site has been very cool from the perspective of this newbie!

You realize you’re trying to rationalize an emotional decision that can’t be rationalized, right?

Either the guitar works for you, or it doesn’t. If it does, it’s worth its weight in gold, and if not, it’s not worth a damn thing.

The truest thing I've read today.

Also, here are 3 helpful questions to ask yourself before buying a guitar (Start at 1 min 10 seconds in):

I only own an American Strat currently and have been trying to decide which PRS to pick up for the past few days after getting a chance to play an S2 and loved it, but this helps... thanks!

Everyone on this site has been very cool from the perspective of this newbie!

Excellent, glad to hear. You definitely landed in the right spot -- there's a tremendous base of experience here, and a great group of folks. I've learned a ton in what feels like a really short time. Welcome aboard, enjoy!

About pickup configs, I think if you have the opportunity to sit down and test-drive a few, your ears will hear familiar, pleasing tones from the stock PRS switching. Positions 2 and 4 are indeed different from Strat territory, but then again so is literally everything else about the instrument. You'll find enough in common not to feel left out in the cold, I suspect. Running with a stock set of 57/08s, I can easily dial in a wide range from clean jazz to rhythm and lead high-gain stuff. 85/15s perform beautifully too.

As mentioned previously, you may be drawn to the 24-08 as well -- or, you may find that the standard offerings cover what you need. In my experience, what comes off the rack is beautiful for tackling a ton of material.

Let your ears guide you, I'd be curious to see what you discover.

The advice I would give myself is, don’t bother about the price.

That’s not because my first name is Bill, Jeff or Warren. But simply because the difference between a PRS core ($$$$) and an American Fender Strat ($$$$) is about $45 a year, spread out over 30 years (of pure fun and joy). The difference is even less if compared to a Gibson Standard LP.

So unless you plan on collecting many many PRS guitars, I would say just try each of the competing candidates out and go for the one you feel the most for.

It’s important to compare apples to apples of course - Squire vs SE etc.

For me it’s been worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so by now some forum members have come to realise that I am as yet to take the first step into PRS ownership.

I realise that as it is the nature of some forum members to tease a” non owning” member or even blatantly enable! ;)

I’m a cautious chap, who’s torn between SE affordable now, or saving my GAS cash for a lovely used Ted or custom, many of which are on my radar. I’m trying to make sure that I get the best deal I can.

I’m still annoyed that I missed a beautiful Mira (looked either cherry red or natural hog, she was a beauty). Being fairly new to the brand, I didn’t realise what a good deal she was.:confused:

One kind forum member will know that if I was in US or he was here that I would have made this a reality. Thanks to you for trying.

I’d love to hit Sergio’s target of my PRS NGD before 1500 posts! Maybe I’ll get to 1499 and quit!

Anyway, you guys will be the first to know.

Back