Are the brass wraparound / stoptail posts a tonal improvement or cosmetic thing?

Chris101

A quick search of the forum didn't bring up any results but I’m sure it must have been discussed here. Would changing the standard wraparound posts on my SE Hollowbody to brass make any appreciable difference in tone?

In a relatively short time I’ve seen so many PRS with the brass posts that the look has really grown on me, I really wasn’t sure when I first saw them!

A quick search of the forum didn't bring up any results but I’m sure it must have been discussed here. Would changing the standard wraparound posts on my SE Hollowbody to brass make any appreciable difference in tone?

In a relatively short time I’ve seen so many PRS with the brass posts that the look has really grown on me, I really wasn’t sure when I first saw them!
Several years ago, I owned an SE 245 and replaced the bridge with a MannMade one with the brass saddles and brass posts and it made a pretty significant tonal change for the better on that guitar. It sounded a little too bright and the brass really warmed up the tone.

This one?

GLElAqG.jpg

Paul says it improves the tone and sustain in many different interviews/videos, it's not for looks. It makes sense it would be an improvement, after all brass is used with adjustable saddles in many bridges for years. I never seen brass used like it is in the PRS 1-piece wraparound bridge. Any of the guitars I've own/owned with it always sound great.... so did the old ones I thought. I've never preformed an A/B test or anything.

Thanks everyone, you’ve convinced me to at least try them, that is once they are back in stock, I do like the look!

And that Spruce Hollow Body looks fantastic! And so does the SE245 I love the wood grain of the top.

Don't know about the all brass or studs on SE guitars, but I swapped studs on my '97, '03 and '08 McCartys for the newer studs that are all brass, but have nickel tops. I was expecting zero difference, but the guitars are noticeably clearer sounding and a little more full. Maybe it is the tighter tolerances or the nickel plating on the originals has an affect.

Back