Are TCI "S" pickupts in the SE Custom 24-08 unique to the guitar? Question about TCI & where to buy

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by sai777777, Jun 7, 2021.

1. sai777777

sai777777 New Member

Hi,

I am looking to buy some TCI "S" pickups found in the PRS SE Custom 24-08, particularly the neck pickup.

I'd be happy with something similar too. I understand that TCI is a system and not just a pickup. Do they use the same pickups from other guitars in the SE Custom 24-08 and incorporate it into the TCI system of the guitar, or are the pickups themselves wholly unique?

For example, are they simply the SE pickups or the 85/15 “S” but incorporated into the TCI system?

I want something built for coil splitting.

Thanks!

2. CrimesAgainstMusic

CrimesAgainstMusic New Member

Good Luck searching ...

I have decided to go "3rd Party" SD or some other boutique pickup myself ...

Too much "mystery" surrounding what should be a pretty generic part :rolleyes:

3. dogrocketp

dogrocketp I drank the PRS kool aid, and it was tasty!

Good luck on getting your pickups. There is a certain amount of proprietary knowledge being withheld at the factory. As Paul himself has said, “we’re in the guitar business, not the pickup business.” This isn’t your F type buy it anywhere situation. They are not available for sale, unless you find a third party foolish enough to let them go.

bodia likes this.
  4. shimmilou

shimmilou Established in 1963

5. GADonis

GADonis New Member

I am under the impression that "TCI" is not just the pickups but also other components of the wiring of the guitars and these components (capacitors?) are tweaked to the guitar to optimize the electronics of the guitar.

6. Ovibos

Ovibos Naughty Wood Librarian

This. I think it's about using testing & components to make small tweaks to shrink the variance between guitars. Paul talks about that 'magic guitar', and my understanding of TCI is its goal is to get more of them into that sweet spot.

dogrocketp likes this.
  7. shimmilou

shimmilou Established in 1963

There are no added caps or inductors, no different wiring, in this TCI process, as far as I can tell. You can change the capacitance and/or inductance in a pup by simply changing the spacing between the coils, the thickness of the plates, changing the magnets/pole pieces, changing bobbin material or size, or any number of other changes. You can make a similar change in a single coil pup by adding a base plate to the bottom of the existing pup.

8. NolaBG

NolaBG New Member

I just put a set from an SE Paul’s on reverb. If you’re interested, let me know. $85 shipped.