Are rosewood necks (even on nitro finish models) "unfinished"?

shinksma

What? I get a title?
So, related to another current thread posted recently by someone else:

I have a WL MEV, with rosewood neck. The MEV, like all the recent cores, is finished in PRS's nitro over CAB.

Would the neck also be finished at all in nitro, or is a rosewood neck "sealed" (for lack of a better term) in some way but not truly "finished", and therefore is not finished in some thin variant of PRS's nitro finish?

I would like to hang it, but I'm paranoid that if the neck has nitro it will react to the hanger (I use String Swing hangers, which claim to be non-reactive with nitro, but I'm not so confident based on a few issues with some Silver Sky guitars that John Mann had hanging from them a few years ago). So if it does have nitro on the neck and I do hang it I will use my cotton finger coverings, but I'd like to know if I absolutely have to go that way.

Unless it was specially made, PRS rosewood necks have always been unfinished. The oil in the rosewood seems to provide enough protection.

I've had a couple, and found the 'furriness' that occurs if my hands get damp while playing is a distraction. But that's a different matter entirely. I'd probably buy one anyway, if I really liked the tone of an individual guitar.

If they get a rough (furry) feel to them you can use a little fine steel wool to smooth it back down. Just keep the stuff that comes off of it away from your pickups. I would tape them off with painters tape before doing it and don't let it get on the body if you can help it. It could scratch the finish depending on how you wipe it off.

I wouldn't say unfinished. The oil/wax treatment is still a form of finish

This does bring up a different yet just as concerning issue. I've literally run out of "safe" wall space in the hallway'o'guitars, even with a good scattering of guitars elsewhere in the house, so I need to find a different wall to start on. And that's with all of my wife's basses in a separate rack near her rig!

I might move the acoustics that are occupying a few spots (all non-PRS, since my PRS acoustics are on stands or on a hanger in the "downstairs music room"). So just need to figure out where to put those.

Yeah yeah, first world problems.

If they get a rough (furry) feel to them you can use a little fine steel wool to smooth it back down. Just keep the stuff that comes off of it away from your pickups. I would tape them off with painters tape before doing it and don't let it get on the body if you can help it. It could scratch the finish depending on how you wipe it off.
That definitely works, but I drove over to Rockler near me, and got some super-fine grit micro mesh because someone on the old PRS Forum said it works really well. Whoever said it was right!

Works as well as steel wool, and you don't have to tape off the pickups. Creates no steel wool or other materials/sandpaper residue, whatever rosewood comes off seems to stick to it well, so no mess. It also doesn't flake like sandpaper. You can even rinse it under the tap, dry it, and reuse it over and over.

Whatever you use, employ very light pressure.

I also used to seal the neck with what PRS recommended at the time after using the micro-mesh; I think Behold was used at the factory back then. It did work to keep the fur down longer.

But now I'd try their new tung oil rosewood fretboard sealer.

Last edited:
I have a non-PRS guitar with a solid rosewood neck that is unfinished. I put it on a wall hanger (I don’t know what brand) and it discolored the neck where it rested on the hanger. I knew it might when I hung it up, but it didn’t bother me. It doesn’t feel any different. It is just darker at the point of contact.

They are unfinished , if you feel any roughness on your rosewood neck I use fretboard oil soaked 5000 grit sandpaper then smooth forever clean once and awhile with a micro fiber and a drop or two of fretboard oil :)

My Santana WL rosewood neck is unfinished and I'm in love with the feel of the neck. Just leaves my hand smelling fishy for some reason :rolleyes:
"I want to make the obvious 'there are other fun things that will make your hand smell fishy, too' joke."

"Do you really want people to think you're a boor?"

"They already think that, and think I'm a bore as well."

"I dunno about you, man."

"I want to make the obvious 'there are other fun things that will make your hand smell fishy, too' joke."

"Do you really want people to think you're a boor?"

"They already think that, and think I'm a bore as well."

"I dunno about you, man."
I mean…..yeah…..

Come on Les… I expected that from Alnus not you LOL ….. we can’t help ourselves, forever 11

Back