Are Maple Necks with Ebony FBs bright?

I had a Cu24 with 57/08 with an Ebony board and maple neck. I never thought it was terribly bright. I always described it has having some sizzle.

What about the finger feeling on the ebony? I really hate rosewood, it's too rough. I love maple frets and thinking about ebony? Are they similar as feeling?

Find the guitar that appeals to you; it makes you want to play. Then, if it's too bright (or too dark, or whatever..):
  1. Adjust the tone knob on the guitar. As Les said, the tone knobs on PRS are actually useful.
  2. Adjust the EQ on the amp. Amps have changed so much they are FULL of EQ options. You have amps with regular low/mid/high/presence controls and graphic EQ (e.g. Mesa Boogie). If you're playing through a rig simulator (Kemper, Helix, Headrush, etc.) you can dial in a patch and have EQ in the front of the signal chain and at the end of the signal chain AND use the modeled amp's EQ as well.
  3. If you're playing a rig simulator, choose a different (out of thousands) cab IR
  4. Get an EQ pedal.
  5. Change the tubes in your amp OR
  6. Change the amp model
  7. Get new pickups (repeat ad nauseum)
  8. If you're primarily into recording: Pick an amp, adjust the EQ and then spend countless hours choosing cab model / mic model combos that produce the tone you want.
Honestly, there are so many ways to adjust the tone that (to me) the absolutely most important thing is to find an instrument that inspires you. Find a guitar that makes you WANT to spend time finding tone, improving your playing, exploring new music, etc. There are a million ways to adjust tone. I have a Helix. It has 72 amp models, 37 cab models and 16 mic models. That's 42,624 tone combinations. That doesn't even include third-party IRs or all of the effects pedals. If you include the effects pedals the Helix has 8,269,056 possible combinations built-in. I only quote this number to show how absurdly easy it is to tweak tone these days. Seriously, if the guitar is a bit too bright or dark or mid-heavy or mid-light don't sweat it.

There are relatively few guitars that simply DEMAND that you play them. Find one of those instruments and get it!! Then, tweak the tone to your preference.

Find the guitar that appeals to you; it makes you want to play. Then, if it's too bright (or too dark, or whatever..):
  1. Adjust the tone knob on the guitar. As Les said, the tone knobs on PRS are actually useful.
  2. Adjust the EQ on the amp. Amps have changed so much they are FULL of EQ options. You have amps with regular low/mid/high/presence controls and graphic EQ (e.g. Mesa Boogie). If you're playing through a rig simulator (Kemper, Helix, Headrush, etc.) you can dial in a patch and have EQ in the front of the signal chain and at the end of the signal chain AND use the modeled amp's EQ as well.
  3. If you're playing a rig simulator, choose a different (out of thousands) cab IR
  4. Get an EQ pedal.
  5. Change the tubes in your amp OR
  6. Change the amp model
  7. Get new pickups (repeat ad nauseum)
  8. If you're primarily into recording: Pick an amp, adjust the EQ and then spend countless hours choosing cab model / mic model combos that produce the tone you want.
Honestly, there are so many ways to adjust the tone that (to me) the absolutely most important thing is to find an instrument that inspires you. Find a guitar that makes you WANT to spend time finding tone, improving your playing, exploring new music, etc. There are a million ways to adjust tone. I have a Helix. It has 72 amp models, 37 cab models and 16 mic models. That's 42,624 tone combinations. That doesn't even include third-party IRs or all of the effects pedals. If you include the effects pedals the Helix has 8,269,056 possible combinations built-in. I only quote this number to show how absurdly easy it is to tweak tone these days. Seriously, if the guitar is a bit too bright or dark or mid-heavy or mid-light don't sweat it.

There are relatively few guitars that simply DEMAND that you play them. Find one of those instruments and get it!! Then, tweak the tone to your preference.
Solid post!

Hey guys, I know people say maple neck and ebony fretboard is bright, but how would that balance with the shorter scale length of the 594? I didn't see that addressed here yet. I had the thought that the maple/ebony would go well with the shorter scale length of the 594.

Also my belief is that high frequencies can be cut in a million different places, so I would get the guitar that feels and plays the best. If it's bright, you can use a higher capacitance cable, change a cap or pot inside the guitar, roll down treble on the amp, etc.

Will say not necessarily. My former maple neck/ebony board PS Archtop was not overly bright, that deep and resonant, because the guitar was an arch top. YMMV with solid bodies, semi-hollows, or hollow bodies.

Back