Are Experience guitars valuable and collectable?

Tremolo arm

I have an opportunity to purchase a Custom 24 Experience 2011 Abalone, which is quite unique in that it has an ebony fretboard, colour matching headstock, Experience engraved 59/09 pickups and artist pack graded top.
The price is $2.7k and the condition is very good (a few minor scuffs, but nothing major).
I've been told there were only 200 of this one made.

Worth as an investment? Would it keep the value?

I'd buy it if you like it TO PLAY - ;)

EXACTLY!
I have similar arguement with the Harley guys as I ride a Honda (no offense brothers)..
It always comes up when quote real things like performance and mileage etc etc..and the retort is usually: "Well how much is going to be worth when you sell it"

My response is that I'll put so many miles on it I hope its worthless!

In short I dont think we buy these things as investments..we buy them as tools for happiness. ;-)

Yes, I totally agree with both of you. But I know a thing or two about Strats and so far I have always managed to buy Strats which I've managed to resell at the same value (if not more).
I just don't know about PRS guitars. For sure I will play it and that is the primary reason for wanting to buy it but I am also conscious that one day I may want to resell it and I would not want for it to lose half its value... especially when it's such an expensive instrument

Last edited:
If resale value is important to you then I would advise buying used. This way you will probably get your money back if you decide to sell later.

I'm with the other guys, my guitars are for playing, they'll be well used by the time I die. Hopefully one of my kids will use it afterwards as I doubt they will have much value.

You should ask yourself - if it's valuable and/or collectable, why is it being sold at a knock-down price through a dealer that knows his stuff? (I think I know the exact guitar you are talking about!)

I would bet against it increasing in value by more than inflation... but it might hold its value if you keep it in good nick.

Last edited:
In my experience (no pun intended) very, very few guitars end up being collectable or good investments from a finacial stand point. So, I agree with most everyone else, buy it to play it. If you want an investment you could do much better in other areas.

I just don't know about PRS guitars. For sure I will play it and that is the primary reason for wanting to buy it but I am also conscious that one day I may want to resell it and I would not want for it to lose half its value... especially when it's such an expensive instrument

It's really impossible to know for sure, especially so soon after the guitar was made. Takes a few years to know.

I've had some guitars that later became collectible. Of course, I didn't hang onto them long enough for that to happen! That's on me. You just never know.

You should ask yourself - if it's valuable and/or collectable, why is it being sold at a knock-down price through a dealer that knows his stuff? (I think I know the exact guitar you are talking about!)

I would bet against it increasing in value by more than inflation... but it might hold its value if you keep it in good nick.

You're absolutely right!

The problem with PRS guitars and collectability is that swine Paul that keeps making his guitars better every year.

Because of that, your old guitars will generally lose value as compared with new ones. You want the best guitar, you should generally buy the latest.

If Paul would just sell out to some bean counter, all your old guitars will skyrocket in value. Even if Joe Knaggs himself bought the company and set it back on a solid footing, the PRSh guitars would be perceived to have more value. This is essentially the Fender story.

Back