Are 58/15 "S" pickups considered high-output?

chummybum

Hi gang. I recently got a 594 Thinline that has the covered 58/15 "S" pickups in it. I don't know why, but I was under the impression they are supposed to be PAF-style mid- to low-gain pickups, but I have to turn my amp waaay down to get them to be clean compared to, say, my Mira. Was I mistaken about how those pickups are supposed to sound? I mean obviously I was, but I'd love to hear more thoughts about them!

pups-prs7bc3d634d10a090b.png

And the 58/15 S is not found in the above chart. Presumably they track the 58/15, bit who knows.

Yeah I figure they are on the "inspired by" spectrum, so a 58/15 S relative to an 85/15 S would be similar to how a USA 58/15 would compare to a USA 85/15... but maybe that's just wishful thinking lol. I will say the S2 Mira pickup definitely sounds inspired by the USA version.

Yes, the S are supposed to built to the same specs as US but Asian. That said I'm a huge fan of US 85/15 pickups but have not cared for the 85/15s. I've never owned the 58/15. I have demoed the 58/15s multiple times and do like those. I tried the 58/15 once and didn't care for them at all. I don't recall if they were LT or not. Its funny when I played the 58/15 I was nervous to because I loved the look of the guitar but was in the market for a less expensive guitar at the time. I've never been so relieved to dislike a guitars sound.

85/15 one of my favs
85/15s are just ok
58/15 did not like
58/15s like a lot

So who knows.

Maybe you just like the voice of a Mira and the 594 isn't really for you?

Had a thought. We’re you expecting them to sound good on the same settings as your other guitars? I eq my amps differently when I’m playing different guitars. String brand and gauge changes can also change the bottom end radically.

Had a thought. We’re you expecting them to sound good on the same settings as your other guitars? I eq my amps differently when I’m playing different guitars. String brand and gauge changes can also change the bottom end radically.

Not so much "expect", but I typically leave the tube amp set to a mid-gain setting and see how each guitar sounds through it. That amp is kinda the kick-around "turn it on and make noise" setup whereas I do all my tone chasing on a Helix into an FRFR. Pretty much every other guitar I have sounded at least decent with those settings other than this one, until I really dialed the gain down and set the EQ to cut a lot of the bass and mids. I probably more had an expectation of what the pickups should sound like (especially based on the Bryan Ewald video) but through my particular amp it doesn't sound that way :) Oh but through the Helix I can get it to sound great!

As others have already stated in this thread, try lowering the pickups until you don’t need to adjust gain and cut your EQ.

Not so much "expect", but I typically leave the tube amp set to a mid-gain setting and see how each guitar sounds through it. That amp is kinda the kick-around "turn it on and make noise" setup whereas I do all my tone chasing on a Helix into an FRFR. Pretty much every other guitar I have sounded at least decent with those settings other than this one, until I really dialed the gain down and set the EQ to cut a lot of the bass and mids. I probably more had an expectation of what the pickups should sound like (especially based on the Bryan Ewald video) but through my particular amp it doesn't sound that way :) Oh but through the Helix I can get it to sound great!
You don't think there has been some audio enhancements done in the PRS demo videos ?! I have the 58/85S pickups in my SE Hollowbody Standard and I find them "ok" at best. For the cost of the SE, I don't expect that much from the pickups....the S2 line on the other hand, sort of puts my off that they use these Korean clones in $1.5K and higher guitars.

You don't think there has been some audio enhancements done in the PRS demo videos ?! I have the 58/85S pickups in my SE Hollowbody Standard and I find them "ok" at best. For the cost of the SE, I don't expect that much from the pickups....the S2 line on the other hand, sort of puts my off that they use these Korean clones in $1.5K and higher guitars.

I have to agree the number one thing that puts me off about he S2 is the Asian pickups. Now that they've dropped pattern regular from the core they really ought to do something about the pickups in the S2.

To be perfectly honest, I've been quite happy with the stock pickups in my S2s. Those would be the #7s, Mira, and Vela. Even these 58/15Ses sound good through various settings on the Helix. The Core ones do sound better to my ears though. YMMV of course.

I have to agree the number one thing that puts me off about he S2 is the Asian pickups. Now that they've dropped pattern regular from the core they really ought to do something about the pickups in the S2.

However the pickups are made to PRS standard, using economical labour costs, which does not necessarily equate to inferior quality.

However pickups are a very personal thing, so what do I know?:D

However the pickups are made to PRS standard, using economical labour costs, which does not necessarily equate to inferior quality.

I 1000% agree, pickups are a personal thing and what works for one may not another. I do think the Korean pickups are inferior but that doesn't mean they are bad or I'm against them. The S pups are a very useable pickup and capable of good tone but they always seem to missing something to my ear in comparison to the US version. I'd hope so considering they are quite a bit more expensive. If not we'd all might be using the S pickups. Well, maybe not those square bobbins are really cool looking!

I still think that the S2 line would benefit from coming with US pickups like the CE. I've been looking for the perfect CE and it's one of the highest guitars on my want list. I'd favor an older one without hesitation if I didn't think the 85/15 was a perfect match for the CE. If the newer CE came with 85/15s pickups I wouldn't even think twice about picking up an older one over a newer one. I still think a lot of core shoppers wanting the pattern regular will seriously consider going S2 and the US pickups could be the deciding factor. But I also agree what do I know...

Those S2 pickups aren't using the same wire and magnets, even covers as the Maryland made pups, no way I'll believe that. Labor cheaper, much cheaper...yes.

I care 100x more what I’m plugged into than the pickups in my guitar. I guess it is a personal thing.

I care 100x more what I’m plugged into than the pickups in my guitar. I guess it is a personal thing.

I agree an amp that gets you that sound you are after is gear changing. I can get most pickups to sound where I want them, but then I go 100% clean and the real snob comes out. I blame my 59/09 for this. I was a lot more forgiving until I met them.

Here's an update since I know everyone was falling off the front of their seats waiting for it :) I moved the pickups down (way down; the neck pup is just barely above the pickup surround) and now it sounds waaaaay better! The neck pickup in particular is very clear and lovely sounding.

Edit: This is with the amp set so the other guitars sound "right" as well :)

Last edited:
Back