Archtop pickups vs 57/08

H2-DGT

Any thoughts? I have a very nice 05 H2 that can't seem to sonically compete with my other PRSi. The swap was suggested.
Thanks!

I'd do it too. I had an '04 HB II and didn't like the Archtops for my style. I tweaked them around until I got something I thought sounded better, and then they kind of grew on me. If I get another HB, I would drop the 57/08s in it.

Very different pickups.

In what way don't they compete? After years of ambivalence, I ended up loving the Archtops once I swapped the neck magnet to alnico 5.

Had a first year HBII. Never got on with the pickups. Eventually replaced with Wolfetone Dr Vintage. Huge difference. But I love the 57/08s in that model as well.

They're both sexy. I'd like to see them wrestle in a tub of hot paraffin wax with their covers off.
Hah! Indeed, they are both very good pups, designed for two very different usages.

I love the Archtop pups in my Spruce HB. Great low-gain tone that complements the mellower sound of the spruce top and hollow body.

I love the 57/08s in my P24. Makes a nice rock'n'roll machine.

I suspect 57/08s would sound good the Spruce HB, but I also think it would lose some of its unique voice as a result, sounding like other guitars with 57/08s. I don't think I would like the archtops in my P24, and maybe the maple top and back of the HBII make it closer to a P24 than a Spruce HB as a result...

And with a little luck, I should be experiencing 53/10s in a suitable PRS instrument very shortly. That should be an interesting comparison...

Back